Quick Q...

• Members

Where are you plugging it in?

A lot of powered mixers have line level outputs, this is the correct place to plug in a powered speaker.

There are also some powered speakers (the LS700p comes to mind) that will accept speaker level and are perfectly fine with it.

If you plug a speaker level output from a powered mixer into the line-level input on a powered speaker (and it doesn't allow for speaker level input, which is most) then very bad things can happen.

At very least the additional voltage will probably make the input distort pretty badly but the high voltage of speaker level outputs could easily damage the electronics in your powered speaker.

In other words speaker level could make it fry

• Members

I wouldn't do it. But a band mate asked me why I couldn't use our old XR800F with the new powered speakers we have.

I just told him everything would blow up. But of course I was just guessing.

• Members

Most powered mixers have line-level outputs, and some powered speakers have inputs that can accept a speaker-level signal.

Don't plug a speaker output into a mic or line input. That's easy when all your connectors are XLR and speakon... but some guys who use TS or TRS 1/4" connectors for all their signal can get confused, and mistakes do happen.

• Members

As a matter of fact you could use the XR800F with your powered speakers. Instead of using the speaker outs on it, you would run from the left and right outputs to your foh speakers and from the monitor outputs to your monitors.

• Members

As a matter of fact you could use the XR800F with your powered speakers. Instead of using the speaker outs on it, you would run from the left and right outputs to your foh speakers and from the monitor outputs to your monitors.

Ha! Thats funny.

I never would've known. Oh well... I sold that to a russian church. So its their problem/solution now!

Archived