I think my console is dying...

• Members

About three weeks ago I did sound outside. This place puts the band and most of the customers under a canopy that's built on to the side of the building. I've worked there many times with no rain. We played about 5 songs and out of nowhere, the wind picked up and it started raining very hard.

I went to cover the stage right speaker stack and the amp rack. Then I noticed that several of the joints / or seams (?) of the canopy weren't joined together very close. Rain was getting through on some sections. I looked back at my mixer (which sits on top of a 20 space effects rack) and I could see that a bit of rain was blowing it's way. I went to cover it immediately. I wasn't able to wipe it off at that moment because there were too many other things to cover up also.

So, the owner called the show after about 45 minutes. I was finally able to start tearing down about 90 minutes after the rain started. The console, a Mackie SR 24-4, looked as if someone put a spray bottle on mist and gave it about two squirts. I didn't think much of it. It didn't like the effects rack got wet at all.

Now, ever since that show my console has been doing some weird things. The next night, and for 3 shows after that, the "RUDE SOLO" light would flash for no reason! Nothing was PFL'd! After a few songs it would finally stop.

Then this past Friday, I noticed the main meter was not getting anywhere near "0". The Driverack PA looked as if was getting plenty of signal but the console sure wasn't showing much coming out. I PFL'd / solo'd every channel and they all looked normal. Then after the show, the bass player told me his left side in ear FOH mix sounded really distant. The drummer (who only gets a FOH mix to his ears) said the same thing.

I'm sure it's not easy to diagnose something like this over the internet but it sound like this something I could fixed or do I need to hurry up and get another mixing console? I'd hate to have to buy another console right now. In about three months I will be able to get the new 24 channel Presonus, but I just can't do it right now. I'd really hate to have to put money toward and settle for a Yamaha MG24/14 FX! AAAAAARGH!

What do you think?

• Members

.... In about three months I will be able to get the new 24 channel Presonus, but I just can't do it right now. I'd really hate to have to put money toward and settle for a Yamaha MG24/14 FX! AAAAAARGH!

Not trying to push debt, but American Musical will do it with $299 down and 5 payments. Price match from another retailer and the $299 down would go away. Sweetwater has a credit card with 12 months 0% interest.

The bigger issue is you can't lay your hands on these yet as far as I know. Neither retailer above has them in stock.

• Members

American Musical doesn't price match for the easy pay plan any more :(.... YOu either get the item price matched and buy it in full, or you get it for their price on the easy pay plan...

ZZOUNDS does price match for their pay plan, but it's 4 months instead of 5. I actually got zzounds to price match from northern sound one time... I don't know if they still do.

Archived