Setbacks for rack gear?

• Members
Not that I've seen. If I'm out of room I'll put the power thingy on the back rails, and if I need light in the back of the rack then it works out quite well.

I'm going to put it in the back rails anyways but all the outlets are on the front so the plugs would be sticking out of the back of the rack - I'd rather have them in a bit. I just thought this might be a common issue yous guys have already found a nifty solution to :) .

• Members

take a rack blank, a 2ru would be best. use some gray 3m double sided sticky tape and tape the top of the power strip to the back of the 2ru panel. the outlets will stick up vertical - you will have more room in the rack, have access to the outlets, and gravity will help keep the cables in the strip.

• Members
take a rack blank, a 2ru would be best. use some gray 3m double sided sticky tape and tape the top of the power strip to the back of the 2ru panel. the outlets will stick up vertical - you will have more room in the rack, have access to the outlets, and gravity will help keep the cables in the strip.

Hmm... one could also use a couple angle brackets drilled with holes to match the rack hole spacing - no sticky tape required :cool: . In my particular case I have a 10U case with four RMX amps on the bottom and only 2U at the top to work with. There is presently a Furman power confusticator mounted from the front that this would replace. The amps are about 4" recessed at the back so it would look best if this was at least that far in - I suppose I could sticky tape it to the top of the top amp?

• Members

the gray sticky tape is so sticky you could stick an amp to the bottom of another amp.

its sticky.

i have a dvd player taped to the bottom of my monitor eqs. i needed to pry it off and move it for a reason and bent the dvd player case.

i have a utensil rack taped to the wall in my kitchen.

i have 2 dbx 1/2 rack comps taped onto an acp22.

i have 2 usb2 hubs taped to the sides of cabinets.

its sticky. about 3/32 thick; need more? use two pieces stuck together.

• Members
i have a dvd player taped to the bottom of my monitor eqs. i needed to pry it off and move it for a reason and bent the dvd player case.

That's the one problem with it - I'm sure those stoopid heavy RMX amps will go away someday and I'll mess them up separating them :( .

• Members

Should have bought the right tool for the job. The cost of back couontry engineerinbg a solution may exceed the value you thought you got when buying the unit.

Lesson #1... be sure you are buying a useable product for YOUR application.

• Members

You could use four 2" or 3" long pieces of 10-32 threaded rod with a few Keps nuts. Use one nut per rod against the back of the rack rail just to keep the rod from shifting, and use 2 nuts per rod to hold the rack gear in place (one on each side of the rack ear). Works for me in a pinch.

• Members
You could use four 2" or 3" long pieces of 10-32 threaded rod with a few Keps nuts. Use one nut per rod against the back of the rack rail just to keep the rod from shifting, and use 2 nuts per rod to hold the rack gear in place (one on each side of the rack ear). Works for me in a pinch.

Yah, that's looking like the cheapest option besides double sided tape - thanks!.

• Members
Should have bought the right tool for the job.

AFAIK nobody makes a dual (or even a single) circuit power strip that mounts 6" back from the rear rail? Dunno if there are any deep front mounted ones - besides being a stoopid Furman power confusticator :facepalm: and only 15 amps it's too far forward to easily plug extra stuff into from the back. I suppose a pair of strips with both front and rear outlets would do it ...

• Members

Try a LARGE hardware store and look for long roll pins. Hollow tubes you can use for spacers. I think one inch long or so shouldn't be too much bad leverage with the weight.

Are the racks plastic or wood? IF wood, just get some predrilled rack rail and add a couple pieces set back. You COULD do it with plastic, but you'll need some big fender washers or even wood shims to space them in right.

Here's another thought. Our buddy here Mark at www.audiopile.net has some long and short rear rack mounting kits for power amps. Get TWO sets of the shorties and screw/bolt them together to make a shallow U shape as a setback spacer. They are pretty inexpensive.

Boomerweps

• Members

AFAIK nobody makes a dual (or even a single) circuit power strip that mounts 6" back from the rear rail? Dunno if there are any deep front mounted ones - besides being a stoopid Furman power confusticator
:facepalm:
and only 15 amps it's too far forward to easily plug extra stuff into from the back. I suppose a pair of strips with both front and rear outlets would do it ...

Get rack distros with the receptacles on the correct side.

Archived