1 Great Wedge vs 2 Okay

• Members

I'm on the hunt for some monitor wedges. My budget can currently afford either four great cabs or eight okay ones.

Just wondering, do you think the benefits of having two cabs per performer(and per ear) outweighs having one cab with a overall nicer sound and greater GBF?

I understand the 'buy once cry once' motto but having eight mon's would probably cover me for the biggest set up's i'll encounter + could also dry hire when poss.

Help!

• Members

Well there are benefits to using 2.

1 - your ears are on the sides of your head. If you've ever turned your head with a monitor directly in front of you you'll notice how much louder it is, especially the high end.

2 - The brain is an odd bird and actually thinks things are louder when coming into both ears. So overall volume may actually be less with 2 monitors. BTW, this is why it's always cautioned not to only put 1 IEM in. Much easier to turn the volume up to sometimes dangerous levels with only one in.

3 - Some microphones like the monitors to be off to the side (hyper-cardioid). I know you know this, just stating it for the benefit of others who may not.

Those points aside, 2 for each performer can mean a whole lot of schlepping boxes around. You also have to have a pretty good size stage to accommodate 8 to 10 monitor boxes. I used to use 2 EV Zx1's for monitors and liked it alright. I currently just use one right in front of me.

• Members

I'm not sure if you guys over the pond will be familiar with the models but i'll link you up to the spec sheets.

Budget choice: LD Stinger 12 http://shop.whatpa.co.uk/ld-systems-stinger-ldeb122-12-350w-passive-speaker-309-p.asp

Loaded with good quality eminence components.

Better choice: Martin F12 http://www.martin-audio.com/archivedproducts/datasheets/F12datasheet.pdf

Respected and well known brand, proven.

Edit: I've used both and been happy with results

• Members

I'm always for fewer high quality speakers than lots of poor ones.

Part of this ties to mic patterns ... right. What vocal mic are you using?

Various, SM58 more often than others.

I was always under the impression that even with cardoid patterns, the advantage of having monitors angled facing towards the ears offset the reduced rejection?

I saw stereophonics at T-In-the-park festival using this config

Stereophonics-TITP2010-LD03.jpg

Stereophonics-TITP2010-LD11.jpg

• Members

I vote for one kick butt wedge that can blow your head off the stage with shear volume then a pair of average grade wedges. That I'm gonna have to be a total asshole about the band's stage volume because the wedges can't keep up and play at a whisper and argue with the band members about playing at a whisper. Screw that been there did that you can always turn down the one good wedge.

• Members

My vote would go for 4 over 8 every time. Reasons:

Same or near same SPL with 1/2 of the setup/breakdown effort, footprint, cables.........

Better GBF just due to the better speaker design.

Higher resale value.

better reliability

You're ears will be happier every night you use them (better sound quality right out of the box (pun intended :>).

I'm sure there are more reasons but these come immediatly to mind.

FWIW I've used Martin speakers several times and was quite impressed. I don't remember the model number but they looked like the Clair 12" monitors (maybe an LE1200?). Good stuff!

Archived