Sign in to follow this  
gr8fuldodd

Please suggest a decent starter kit for my sons

I'm a guitar player with three boys (ages 8 and 6 and 6) whom I am hoping pick up any instrument. At least two have said they want to play drums. I've always wanted to try the drums myself, so I think it would be great to get a kit for the kids and if they have no interest, I'll use them (I'll use them anyway).

Thus, my question is... What would be a solid starter kit? Budget under $1,000. I hate buying crap. But truth be told I KNOW {censored} ABOUT DRUMS! I have zero clue. So clue me in if you would. 

Lastly, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I'm not thrilled about a digital kit... but I do see the advantages... what thoughts do you have about that?

Thanks in advance

Just learning?
1.) Electronic drums pretty much require electricity, and...  a headset ...  or speakers...   headset... *cough*...   nice practice kit...    think about that.

b.) Acoustic drums can be played during a power outage.   (Serious...  30 day’s without electricity due to hurricane michael did NOT prevent me from playing my drums.) 

2.28c.) learning curve...   go look at a couple local used kits.  don’t buy the first kit you see unless it’s a no brainer...    it’s an instrument... You play music, you know about this...  is it taken care of?  Beat up?   Compare...  

.)     Name brand doesn’t mean much anymore... I’m a Ludwig man, but ludwig has a cheap line as well...    Pearl, slingerland, Rogers, tama, yamaha, Sonor, DW, Ludwig, Gretsch, North, and a hundred other professional quality manufacturers will keep you spinning... 

see what you have available locally, take some pics, listen, get a feel...   bring all your questions here...   there are people in this forum with the skills and willingness to help with this...  be forewarned...   drums are habit forming and some say addiction is real...

1) I have 8yr old and 17yr old progeny still at home..  when you said 3 boys...  

b) neighbors...  lol...

2.28c)...

.)   If I don’t see a question you have on this, message me...   

Edited by Voltan
  • Like 1