Yamaha Club series best bang for the buck?

• Members

Looking at starting a church, I have everything except amps and speakers for FOH. I want passive speakers and looking at what I consider solid entry lvl system for the moment. So far I am looking at a 12" and sub on each side.

Tell me what you think.

Let's not forget about the Sanctuary Series from Peavey with the church in mind: http://www.sanctuary-series.com/

• Members

I am not fond of any sound w/o subs or punchy low end. My drums are caged with a clear sonic shield w/ lid system, 8 Audix drum mics, my musicians are on headphones. Guitars play keep amps or modeling at bare minimum for control also. Only monitors on stage are for vocals, this is so we can keep stage volume lvl at a minimum. All the band will be ran through the system and I have all the compression/limiting for everything that needs it. I actually have a great sound and get lots of props on a regular basis by other musicians. THe whole sound system is mine except, speakers. My speaker of choice would be JBL SRX series , but I gotta start with lower end cabinets for now and as someone else mentioned earlier I will upgrade later and give whatever I get for youth church. I am aware that the class of speakers are subpar to most, but you gots to start somewhere and I want something that will work for a 1-2 years, then pass it on.

• Members
My speaker of choice would be JBL SRX series , but I gotta start with lower end cabinets for now and as someone else mentioned earlier I will upgrade later and give whatever I get for youth church. I am aware that the class of speakers are subpar to most, but you gots to start somewhere and I want something that will work for a 1-2 years, then pass it on.

Alternative Plan:
Spend more money now on better quality gear, keep speakers waaaaay longer than 1-2 yrs. - no need to upgrade so soon. :) I've used a pair of JBL EON15 G2's for 8 yrs. on various gigs (as PA, as kybd. rig, as stage monitors to others' PA) - still work fine but I've recently upgraded to a pair of QSC K12's and the EONs are now permanently in my bsmt. for the occasional rehearsal for my son to play drums along to when he practices his lesson. :thu:

Point being that if you plan on buying cheap, you'll get cheap. I spent about $1,600 for these EONs in 2002 - which in today's dollars would be even more - but I'd say I definitely got my money's worth. The QSC K12's I just bought - also $1,600. Speaker/audio technology just gets better, smaller, lighter and cheaper - I love it! :lol:

• Members

I can't imagine setting up a P.A. and not using subs!:poke:

i do it quite often. there are more uses for PA than kick/bass guitar. sometimes there is no low freq content at all. speaking based presentations with no music for example.

• Members

I'm in a Praise and Worship band every Sunday in a 100 seat church, and we don't have subs. The low end is covered entirely by the bass guitarist's rig - G&L something? Anyway the pastor and congregation are constantly on our case about levels, and it's a fairly youngish congregation too. After a weekend of club work for two of us in the band, it sounds whisper quiet to our ears and it's extremely hard to ramp it down after blasting out the last set on a Saturday night a few hours before.

This little volunteer Sunday gig is the most difficult thing I've had to do recently, but the most satisfying at the same time.

• Members

I got to go along with G-Man's recommendation for a set of powered K12's. Now maybe the 12" speakers size sound like they can't carry the bass well enough, but don't be fooled. The Pro players on KB Corner are all raving about K12's and those people run keyboards through them, which includes organ sounds. Organ sounds can toast a cheap set of speakers fast.

You might want to buy speakers first and amp, EQ, later because you don't have all the money to buy a set of K12's. But if you don't have a building right now either, you might have some time to put enough money together to get a good set of speakers and be done with it. Being self powered will give you all you need and you won't have to upgrade anytime soon.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

I alternate mixing and playing bass for my church that gets 120 odd people in a room thats close enough to full with that crowd. We use the bass amp to cover the low end.

We are setting up each sunday so the system is limited. Original eons that the church had running off a Peavey 16fx. Everything in the PA except drums.

Although you dont need the subs for volume, because for that size room its quite loud enough, i really miss the presence that you get in your music from having the subs and the drums in the PA. Same with the bass. Although it is quite loud enough, there is a big difference between being loud enough and being in the PA. The current venue wont let us use subs (its a hotel ballroom, and they have stay in guests) but when we move somewhere else, we will definitely be using them.

I know you can do it, but certainly, subs are ideal every time.

I'm in a Praise and Worship band every Sunday in a 100 seat church, and we don't have subs. The low end is covered entirely by the bass guitarist's rig - G&L something? Anyway the pastor and congregation are constantly on our case about levels, and it's a fairly youngish congregation too. After a weekend of club work for two of us in the band, it sounds whisper quiet to our ears and it's extremely hard to ramp it down after blasting out the last set on a Saturday night a few hours before.

This little volunteer Sunday gig is the most difficult thing I've had to do recently, but the most satisfying at the same time.

• Members

If you're considering powered cabinets, and I certainly would be in your situation, check out the Samson Auro series D-412. 12", 2-way, 400 watts of power, and only $249.00 new, with a 3-year warranty. Get yourself a pair of powered subs and you're all set.

• Members

I dont use amps on stage folks, I have had many ppl walk in and hear our band playing and think its a CD due to the lvl of volume, mix, and musicianship ( I am also somewhat biast lol ). I posted earlier about the no amps on stage in earlier posts. I use headphones on stage for musicians and only 2 monitors is for vocalists. I have very little stage volume and it makes a great mix in the house. You can have an amazing sound with subs and all w/o blasting ppl out. I just purchased my 15' cabinets instead of getting 12's. I got EV Tour X 15's and gonna get subs in about 3 months. They sound great and worth the money. The reason I got the Tour X is great sound, can pump it up for youth events and concerts. I got the 15's instead of 12's cause I wanted to lol and cause if I went portable for something small I could leave the subs home. Thanks all for your help. BTW I got my pair of EV Tour X 15's for $1310 out the door at a local hole in the wall music shop

• Members

subs shouldn't add volume, just extend your low frequency extension. Actually, bringing that bottom octave up to the other frequencies tends to make the sound smoother and less "in your face"

• Members
I can't imagine setting up a P.A. and not using subs!:poke:

Guess I'm not alone ;)

I have no problem with subs at all. I have myself a pair of JBL MPr418's and I've taken them many times to rooms whre they probably weren't needed because, contrary to what some may think, I love the full bottom sound when using them.
Of course I am talking about bands playing clubs or weddings at a considerable volume.

My comment was because the OP asked for recommendations on entry level speakrs and is watching costs. People start suggesting subs as if they are needed. Subs are not "needed" in church. I constantly read threads about what is "needed" in church for the ulitimate worship experience. Some should read a very smal good book I read. Let's get our priorities straight. If and when the time comes for great upgrades in equipment for church, great. In the meantime ...................................
http://www.amazon.com/Unquenchable-Worshipper-Coming-Heart-Worship/dp/0830729135

• Members

i guess i meant my comments from the point of view of an ideal within reasonable price sound.

For sure - there are many things you can do that will get the job done. What one person calls need another person calls want - regular discussion on this site.

But its pretty clear that the OP is talking about a fairly small scale but high quality production. I think he mentioned that previously he'd been using SRX cabs.

It doesnt matter whether its church/a band/a DJ - you can get by without subs, but my point was that whether or not subs are needed isnt really a question of how big the venue is. Its a question of whether you're prepared to cop the weight/cost disadvantage for the extra full sound.

Archived