Unfamiliar territories

• Members

Hello Folks,

Looks like we have a gig to just walk in and already be familiar with an unfamiliar board, room/situation. How does one go about approaching something like this? the last time I did this kind of gig...disastrous...from the gate. Squeeling all night long in the monitors...A main went out and another had a bad driver. I had to use a substitute main setup in the middle of the gig. absolutely horrendous. Hopefully this gear will be better but still every time I do this squeels and howls from the monitors. Should I inssit on our 31 bander to be brought? This is taking place tonight so please eliminate this thread as soon as the calendar turns 07/23/10 please. Thanks

• Members

Sounds like you should have advanced the gig weeks ago. That way you would know exactly what you would be using. It doesn't speak to the condition of what they have, but at least you could fill in some gaps if needed. There's nothing wrong with bringing a rack of outboard you know you like to use and patching in to their system. I have a 4 ru rolling rack to carry the gear d'jour if I'm doing a walk in at FOH. Just be sure that you have all the cabling for that rack. If I'm on stage, I generally travel with a monitor system with eqs and request wedges from the venue. That way no matter what they do (screw with the gains after monitor checks- I hate that!) or don't do at FOH, I can be sure that we can hear ourselves. Again I've got all the snakes and cabling to make this happen with no burden to the venue.

If this is a last minute gig, you just roll with it, bring some outboard to hopefully make your job easier and hope what they have works.

• Members

The gig went over like a FOH same Mon mix would. The guy who hooks his stuff up like that I really have to tell you is a wast of time. He had the rest of the rig right there without daisy chaining mains and mons together. Plug & Play... what a f****** nightmare. I even went as far as tearing down my driver to get my eq and amp there. He used all powered speaks therefore didn't really have enough long cables to get to where they had to go anyway so I ran it the way he hooked it except for later on I plugged in the compressor and had a better result. still wasn't pleased. The band had to be a ta low volume anyway otherwise the nightmare would have been a total disaster. Next time if there is one, I'll bring my rider and tops to match his sub. That's the other clusterf***...QSCm/Mackie daisy chained and no external Xover. doesn't really know whawt he's doing. I didn't refer him to this forum and I shoulda. Dzmit. Dummbieeeeee meeeee!!!!!!!!! Perhaps if there is a next time I'll refer him here. He needs to be taught and I'm not in any position to tell some guy who is twice my size how to run his sound gear. Even if he is teddy bear or not. :blah: :blah: :blah:

• Members

Don't take this as too harsh, but I think the first step (should this happen again) should be to get your head in the right place. it seems to me (from a very brief post, so take it for what it is worth) that you had it in your nugget that it was going to be bad, thus setting it up to only be bad.

Also, if you can kindly explain to the system tech what is being done incorrectly, your positive attitude and friendly approach will leave both parties with a good feeling (and a better experience)

Second, it may be wise to have a option to bring/use familiar gear. I've never asked a venue if I can bring our rack or rig and been told no. Many times this has truly saved the day (a high-dollar corporate gig last month comes to mind. I heard that the tech was a hotel A/V tech and offered to bring our FOH rack and monitor rig. This was 20 minutes of setup added and 0 headaches for anyone.) for me and others involved.

I am sorry to hear that the night was tough. this is the game we play. Nights like that will just make the 'good' nights feel so much better. But then I just try to keep a positive outlook.

Archived