Localized Bass/DI issue - Snake - Mixwiz?

• Members

Hello Folks,

I have two DI's one passive one active...I own two basses one active and one passive. I plug into the board utilizing the snake. In the Mixwiz I have the basses in two separate channels (next to each other for mapping purposes). One channel isolates while the other channel blends both basses. What's happening? I can do this throughout the entire board and still have this phenomena. Do I have to isolate the two basses from being next to each other in the snake? Such a weird anomaly. What do I need to do solve this enigma? Just to let you all know all of the microphones are isolated so this is a localized Bass/DI issue. Thanks

:blah: :blah: :blah:

• Members

What? One channel has just the one bass (like it should), and the other gets signal from BOTH basses?

Assuming you have the snake and DI's connected correctly, try a pair of mics on those same channels without the snake. If you get the same scenario, where one channel gets signal from the other, then perhaps there's something crazy in your mixwiz. If it doesn't happen, try it with the snake. If it happens with the snake, your snake could be cross-wired. If it doesn't happen, then you probably hooked it up wrong somehow.

bingo. what do i win?

Well, if he's using two separate DI's that are run to their own respective channels, then he shouldn't be getting signal on one channel from the other DI. How are the DI's connected to the amp?

• Members

i think you would probably have a similar problem without the DI boxes except that it would probably manifest itself as tonal loss to one of the basses due to the other sucking it away.

the correct way to do this would be to use a single DI and a buffered A/B box. that way you could switch basses without having to unplug anything.

• Members

The inputs on the amp are NOT discreet! Basicaly they are paralleled and 1 has a 10dB pad on it before the preamp stage. You need to unplug one of them when not in use. What I'd recommend is:

Wireless with 2 transmitters and 1 reciever and set the levels to be identical on the bodypacks. DI the output of the reciever.

• Members

as a bass player i don't ever really find the "active" inputs on the amps to be useful anyway. i think at one point when passive pickups were typically not wound as hot as they are now and active basses had a tendency to have really high output they were but i never use the Pad feature on my GK amp even with my active G&L bass. it just always seems to put it at a much lower level than my passive Jazz.

• Members

Why not just use one DI box along with a

Audix D4 and mic the cab to capture the bass cab?

That's how I do it.

IME the DI bass is great for capturing the bass guitar only, but in my case it doesn't capture the slight over drive distortion I have on my Ampeg amp which was missing in the FOH mix.

Also another decent dedicated DI box is the Sansamp Bass driver DI box.

I used one for a few years before I got my Ampeg rig.

Archived