SM57 on the kick?

• Members

Diaphragm size has nothing to do with capabilities of a microphone. Some of the best mics available are VERY small diameter. Look at Earthworks mics for example....

It has to do with sonic character, frequency response, etc. An SM57 will work for kick, but not sound NEARLY as good as a mic meant for a kick drum or other low frequency signal.

• Members

I am not a live sound "engineer" but I do have to setup systems from time to time and I've always liked 58s and 57s for live work.

I like to keep all the vocal mics the same - it just seems to make things easier.

When people come to me with a complete set of six or eight drum mics that are made in china and cost the same as a couple of 58s, I question the quality of sound that comes from them.

Sometimes the kick mic visually resemble a D112 but does not seem to me to sound very good. I would be more inclined to use a 57 in that case.

Perhaps I should just buy a D112 to go with my 57s and leave it at that.

• Members

Sometimes the kick mic visually resemble a D112 but does not seem to me to sound very good. I would be more inclined to use a 57 in that case.

often time they sound bad BECAUSE they look like a D112.:poke: you won't find much love for that one around here really. Audix D6 is in my opinion the easiest kick mic to use. it tends to sound right on just about any system. if i had a D112 i would use it for bass guitar when the DI doesn't want to cooperate.

• Members

What would be your choice?

Audix D6 (my favourite), Shure Beta 52, Audio-Technica ATM-250, and Sennheiser e602 are all high quality microphones for kick drums.

An SM57 would work in a pinch but not what I would choose. I would reach for one long before I pull a D112 out of the mic box, though.

• Members

B52, B91, D6, EV nd868, ATM25, ATM250, AE2500, e902, M179, hell i even got great sound out of an NT1000 a few times.

D6 is not my goto mic, mog and i and many others have bashed this out before. its ok we dont all agree. i'll agree its a mic, and it goes on kick, but i dont believe its my savior.

• Members

I like to keep all the vocal mics the same - it just seems to make things easier.

Actually, keeping all the vocal mics the same can make things MUCH more difficult. Every singer is different. Some sound best on a SM58, some sound best on a Beta 58, some sound best with an Audix OM7, some on an EV mic... it all depends on the singers voice, what instrument they play (so you can factor in bleed of their instrument in the mic).

If you always use the same mic you could be making it harder to get a particular singers vocal into the mix.

• Members

If you always use the same mic you could be making it harder to get a particular singers vocal into the mix.

agreed if you always are mixing the same people. then you can choose what works best for them. if you are often in situations where someone is performing in 20 minutes that you have never worked with before then i find that it's best to keep the mics consistent and know your channel strip EQ.

• Members

I am not a live sound "engineer" but I do have to setup systems from time to time and I've always liked 58s and 57s for live work.

When people come to me with a complete set of six or eight drum mics that are made in china and cost the same as a couple of 58s, I question the quality of sound that comes from them.

Perhaps I should just buy a D112 to go with my 57s and leave it at that.

The much maligned D112. Not everybody hates them though.

There's a club in my town that uses a D112 on their kick and it sounds great. Of course it's a four way Adamson system so maybe that has something to do with it... and the drummers are usually all great (the drummer on the video below plays with Chilliwack).

Anyway I stumbled onto this clip of some muso friends of mine, playing with an SRV style guitar picker. I'm pretty sure that's a D112 'cause they had it for years, and still do - I just played there a couple of weeks ago.

BTW don't get the Apex - worked with a guy that had one (not good).

• Members

Thanks to all who have responded - it's good to hear from people who do this kind of work a lot and have learned from their experience.

Actually, keeping all the vocal mics the same can make things MUCH more difficult. Every singer is different. Some sound best on a SM58, some sound best on a Beta 58, some sound best with an Audix OM7, some on an EV mic... it all depends on the singers voice, what instrument they play (so you can factor in bleed of their instrument in the mic).

I recall seeing/hearing a Beatles tribute band and noticing the three singers were using different types of mics. I thought this could be an effort to get as close as possible to the vocal sounds they were trying to emulate.

• Members

I disagree for the most part. Having uniform vocal mics can make monitor eq more consistent and this can have a great impact on improving FOH. It also means that the differences in the vocalists rather than the differences in mics is what's being heard in the mix.

• Members

The 57 can be an excellent kick mic under many circumstances. It may not be the best but it will most likely be acceptable when compared with many of the budget alternatives.

Those that disagree and immediately diss. the 57 or 58 clearly lack the long term experiences that some of us older guys have here. That means mixing many different bands and different kits on a wide variety of different systems in different rooms.

Archived