Peavey XR - 8600 vs 8600D

• Members

I'm looking into picking up a powered mixer for use in a room about 45x45 that'll host ~200 people mainly for Talks. I'm hedging toward the Peavey XR 8600(D) but I am confused on which model to get. I've attached an image at the end of this post highlighting the differences.

Weight and Power Req. seem to be big ones pushing the "D" version but I would have thought Class D amplifiers in the 8600D would improve the S/N but it appears to be worse (95 in the D vs 97) - quiet is important to me.

Also, why the difference in Power Output for 8 Ohms (less in the "D" version)?

What does the difference in Input Sensitivity mean?

Finally, has one proven more reliable/rugged than the other?

Thanks for the help

:confused: Jink

P.S. Am I making the right choice in choosing this Peavey for my needs?

Any advice on a pair of speakers to go with this unit (preferably that can sit on a stand and sound good for music as well as voice)?

peavey.jpg

• Members

Weight and Power Req. seem to be big ones pushing the "D" version but I would have thought Class D amplifiers in the 8600D would improve the S/N but it appears to be worse (95 in the D vs 97) - quiet is important to me.

Not enough difference to notice, in my opinion.

Also, why the difference in Power Output for 8 Ohms (less in the "D" version)?

There's a really long complicated answer, or I could just tell you it's the difference between a big transformer and a switch mode power supply.

What does the difference in Input Sensitivity mean?

Nothing to you, unless you are going straight into the power amp inputs. It just means it takes a little more signal to get the amp to full power.

Finally, has one proven more reliable/rugged than the other?

Well, yes, but only because one has been shipping for 5 years or so, and one is brand new.

You might be able to find a deal on the XR8600 (minus the D) as they are being phased out. As long as you don't mind carrying the extra weight.

FWIW, the amp in the XR8600D is almost identical to the IPR1600.

thanks.

• Members

Thanks Soundman. Basically it sounds like i can't go to far wrong with either.

Can you or anyone suggest a pair of speakers to go with it for my needs? As mentioned above, they would need to sit on stands and sound good for music as well as voice. Budget is rather limited but I think we are willing to spend what it takes to get the job done right.

Another question, can the "Efx Defeat" switch be used as a Send on either of these units (D or non-D) as someone mentioned as an "undocumented feature"?

Thanks,

Jink

• Members

"Another question, can the "Efx Defeat" switch be used as a Send on either of these units (D or non-D) as someone mentioned as an "undocumented feature"?"

That's a no. On some of the early PV mixers the EFX send could double as a defeat jack, if that's what you are thinking about. On this mixer, the efx defeat is simply a logic line (high or low) that goes straight to the digital board. There's no audio on it at all.

• Members

Soundman, in May 2010 Marty McCann on the Peavey forum http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13844&start=0 wrote:

"As far as hooking up an external Effects processor, let me tell you about an undocumented feature . . . . the 1/4 inch phone jack labeled Effects Defeat can also be used as an Effects Output. The way that this jack functions as a defeat is to simply short the signal feeding the internal effects processor to ground. So the signal appears at this jack. It probably should have been label Effect Out/Defeat.

You are right that there is no Effects Return, but you can return the effects to any spare channel. However, do NOT turn up the effect send on the channel used as Effects Return, or you will have an oscillator."

Is he misinformed?

For speakers, I'm thinking of going with a pair of Peavey PR15's. Does this sound like a good choice?

Thanks again,

Jink

Archived