Seismic Audio 4 x 8 TRS TS insert snake - opinions?

• Members

Audiopile is where i would get an insert snake (supports a local board member too!)

Agreed, if they had what I need.

I'm ordering other cables from Audiopile tomorrow, as I have in the past.

That said, 10-footer you linked is not only overkill, it's backordered.

Any experience with the Seismic Audio?

Thanks!

• Members

Agreed, if they had what I need.

I'm ordering other cables from Audiopile tomorrow, as I have in the past.

That said, 10-footer you linked is not only overkill, it's backordered.

Any experience with the Seismic Audio?

Thanks!

I ended up buying one about a year ago. I like it. I mean for what it is its constructed well and the solder points are solid. It is also a bit stiff and the numbers are really small and hard to read if that matters to you. But overall I have no complaints. It does what I need it to do so I'm happy...

...that being said this is a review on the specific companies product, there are much better ones out there.

• Members

I have this exact TRS Insert Snake... it's connected permanently (never gets unplugged/replugged in) in my rack. Does its job... can't really ask for more.

It's cheap and it works... about all I got on this one! Cheers. :)

• Members

I have this exact TRS Insert Snake... it's connected permanently (never gets unplugged/replugged in) in my rack. Does its job... can't really ask for more.

It's cheap and it works... about all I got on this one! Cheers.
:)

This is exactly what I needed to hear.

The Hosa sells in the $25 range, but is basically disposable.

The SA model, by contrast, uses connectors that can be serviced if necessary.

THANKS!!!

• Members

i have found that insert whips need to be at least 15' to be flexible enough for diverse situations. i'd buy the audiopile 15' one that is in stock rather than "hoonoesit cable".

except i just build my own instead. you can get the snake for around $2/foot if you know where to look.

• Members

The cable is not the best quality, the plastic "strain relief is jujst weird, too stiff and long. Te connectors are good but because the wire3 is crap I wouldn't really mess with it. Yeah I bought the EWI ones (10ft are my fav) and I need to buy a 4ch 10ft. If I don't buy the EWI I'd buy a hosa cuz at least you know what to expect. Anything larger than 4 channels buy an EWI.

• Members

I know this opinion is NOT what you asked for ;>(

BUT...

A 3 foot insert snake is VERY limited in it's usefullness. Maybe alright for a fixed studio install, but live, gear positions change and you need a little extra to allow for that. Since they usually come in meter format anymore, I'd go for 2 meter or 6 foot minimum.

Boomerweps

• Members

My practice/party PA is self contained in a single ATA case.

The only parts that will be unplugged are the main power and speakers.

Here are photos:

DSC00517.jpg

Front - PV 10, dbx 231, Peavey CS 800, E&W PS 2000

DSC00523.jpg

Rear - dbx 266XL (2), dbx 223XL

Now you can see why I don't need more than a 3 foot cable.

• Members

i'll say that i think that cable would be perfect for you considering what you just posted. part of that is because it does not seem like you will be unplugging it at all.

that said i have the 6 foot version of that cable and it's in a box in my garage because i just don't like it. the long clear strain relief system made it kind of weird to work with and one of the mixer end connectors started to stick in my mix wiz inserts(no other connectors do this). i also realized that i needed a longer cable for flexibility although thats not a problem for you.

• Members

i'll say that i think that cable would be perfect for you considering what you just posted. part of that is because it does not seem like you will be unplugging it at all.

that said i have the 6 foot version of that cable and it's in a box in my garage because i just don't like it. the long clear strain relief system made it kind of weird to work with and one of the mixer end connectors started to stick in my mix wiz inserts(no other connectors do this). i also realized that i needed a longer cable for flexibility although thats not a problem for you.

Those are valid, helpful observations.

Thank you!

• Members

When I saw you had posted, I was looking forward to your input.

Imagine my disappointment.

You could have at least directed the "Yuck" at something in particular.

Are you referring to the original question, or the whole system in general?

Referring to the original question.

For very short insert snakes, I find a harnessed set of individual smaller gauge leads to be a more compact and flexible solution. They are available in much higher quality than your example offers.

There are also custom made solutions using indivually insulated multicore cable... that's what I usually do for my clients except for really short runs.

• Members

Referring to the original question.

For very short insert snakes, I find a harnessed set of individual smaller gauge leads to be a more compact and flexible solution.

I agree with Andy, which is why I don't stock and offer stuff like 3ft. insert snakes. It seems silly to me for a "snake" to consist of primarily fantails with a few inches of "snake" in-between the fantails. A piece of split loom over the center section of so-many single channel insert cables serves the same purpose and generally will be a more compact and flexible solution. I think, but then I've been wrong before... lots of times... gotta lot to learn.

Not to say the customer is wrong, because they aren't... if they want a 3ft. insert snake, then so be it. I want a flight of stairs in my warehouse that the local contractors seem to think the set of stairs as I've envisioned would basically be furniture (accuracy within 1/2 inch in most any dimension, and within a 1/2 bubble of level in most any dimension that should be level)... which seems to be beyond the local contractor's pay scale... so I'm doing the stairs myself. And if somebody wants a 3ft. insert snake, so be it... but like the local building contractors (who primarily build hay barns and can't seem to grasp "stairs")... I can't get my head around 3ft. insert snakes... but I suspect I'm missing something detail oriented... so I'm curious what/how/??? the attraction... because I get quite a few requests for this sort of thing.

• Members

While I'm a big proponent of buying the best quality I can afford, I have to say that I own a 10 foot version of that cable. It hasn't let me down but I also have to say that I am particularly anal about taking care of what I own. For what he is trying to do the cable will work well enough and not having to deal with extra cable when its not needed is a plus in my book. A clean rack is much easier to trouble shoot than one that is buried in excess cables.

• Members

... so I'm doing the stairs myself. And if somebody wants a 3ft. insert snake, so be it... but like the local building contractors (who primarily build hay barns and can't seem to grasp "stairs")... I can't get my head around 3ft. insert snakes... but I suspect I'm missing something detail oriented...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1297164

i'm sure you have seen this already but if not it simplifies the stair process greatly. once you get the numbers down the only real concern is how to support the stairs at the top and bottom and then being precise with the tools.

• CMS Author

1/2" of level is an issue? i thought i was being picky about being 1/32" of an inch dimension last week, i need to work for these guys, or maybe i dont.

You don't.

Mark, are you sure about the 1/2" accuracy for stairs? Tread riser deviation of 3/8" is considered max, and frankly is sloppy, for most recognized codes. They should also be more level than a half bubble, which IINM is 1/8" to 1/4" per foot.

• Members

You don't.

Mark, are you sure about the 1/2" accuracy for stairs? Tread riser deviation of 3/8" is considered max, and frankly is sloppy, for most recognized codes. They should also be more level than a half bubble, which IINM is 1/8" to 1/4" per foot.

i got the impression that he was saying that he was ok with it being thrown together, or at least not be perfect since it's for utility anyway, and that the local boys still couldnt get their heads around it. or probably didn't want to. i've seen guys that will allow some pretty sloppy work all of a sudden get really picky when it comes to stairs. of course in those cases they usually end up coming out sloppy just because the person building them can't do better anyway.

Archived