OSP Snake /tear

• Members

I couldn't find the thread, but I have to report that one of the spring loaded XLR female connector that is in the snake broke off and an xlr is now stuck in the channel. So I've had it for about 6 months and this is the first issue (hopefully only) I've had.

What are a solid replacement XLR connector for that application, or should I replace it at all?

• Members

I couldn't find the thread, but I have to report that one of the spring loaded XLR female connector that is in the snake broke off and an xlr is now stuck in the channel. So I've had it for about 6 months and this is the first issue (hopefully only) I've had.

What are a solid replacement XLR connector for that application, or should I replace it at all?

Neutrik D-size. While you're in there replacing the connector, you'd be smart to strain relieve the channels.

• Members

As I understand it, *those* snakes and cables are constructed with "Neutrik" ends
:rolleyes:

Yes, it's true. Neutrik knockoff ends. The connectors themselves are a clone of the NC3*X series. The solder terminals are sometimes the same way and other times they are turned 90 degrees, much like the old switchcraft connectors.

The logo, if you aren't paying attention, does look like the Neutrik logo.

Rolling eyes are appropriate here.

• Members

Can you elaborate some? I'm not sure what you mean.

Take a look at a quality snake from a local provider and you'll see.

The twisted pairs are just laying around in the box, right? You should bus each row of connections together, tied together vertically and mounted to the box as appropriate, then fan out from that bus to the individual connectors in the row. You'll have to do some work for this snake to be less problematic in the future.

Congrats, you bought yourself a headache. :)

• Members

oh i dont like those idc connectors on snakes or mic cables. they probably serve some purpose but not for me.

The only purpose they serve is they are cheaper parts and labor-wise. IME, they suck so bad that I do not sell any products made with them.

• Members

Ya, Punch down connections are OK for an immobile telephone backboard but are not my preference for anything that is to be moved around, vibrated etc...

I know that Cat 5 RJ45 connectors use this type of connection but they also fail a lot more often than a good mic cord.

I could see the possible use for an XLR wall plate that is fixed, that's about it.

To the OP: Depending on it's placment & use, I've taken out the XLR locking mechanism entirely on some snake sub boxes (this makes for faster teardown).

• Members

i have four snakes with the locking tabs and two without - i usually prefer the ones without. a trip or something that would pull a cord just pulls it out of the snake rather than yaking the whole snake head or tearing the cord apart. course we shouldnt have any layout with trip hazards but {censored} happens. all my amp rack panels have xlr's with tabs, i geuss i dont know any different so i have never thought about it.

• Members

Yes, it's true. Neutrik knockoff ends. The connectors themselves are a clone of the NC3*X series. The solder terminals are sometimes the same way and other times they are turned 90 degrees, much like the old switchcraft connectors.

The logo, if you aren't paying attention, does look like the Neutrik logo.

Rolling eyes
are
appropriate here.

From what I understand, *those* brand of snakes (and possibly other cable products bearing similar or same trade name) have been possibly advertised as being constructed with *genuine Neutrik ends*... not knock-offs. HOWEVER: I'm of the understanding there's Neutrik products and then there's Neutrik products:

http://www.neutrik.com/content/home/home.aspx?portal=us&language=1

http://www.neutrik.com.cn/en/index.asp

I'll let the gentle readers here sort out the details for themselves, if they care to do so, as I'm probably way beyond any tasteful forum ethics divulging what I have so-far.

Archived