Question about mixing active speakers

• Members

Currently, I have some JBL PRX stuff. A buddy came over this weekend so some jamming took place. I didn't feel like bringing out the mixer, so I plugged the mic directly into one of the PRX 512s. It sounded pretty good, but I think it would have sounded even better if the speaker had a built in mixer. I still need to pick up a pair of active monitors down the line... My question is how would I go about setting everything up if I got something like a pair of RCF Art 310As that have on board mixers to use as monitors?

Right now, I run mixer from the mono XLR out into PRX 718 into the PRX 512s. I use the internal crossover on the PRX718 and I can definitely hear the difference. Could I run the RCFs off the 512s or would it be better to run them from the monitor outs of the board? I'm just thinking ahead here... I'd prefer to keep it as simple as possible. The monitors will primarily be used to hear vocals.

• Members

Are you talking about skipping the board completely? Not a good idea as FOH is usually not what you want to hear in your monitors. I say pick up a small practice board that has at least one aux and you should be fine.

Yes, I would skip the board completely at home and just plug directly into the speakers for practice, jamming, listening to music, etc.

For gigs, I would use the board as additional inputs are needed to mic guitars, drums, and additional vocals. My question is what is the best way to go about it when I am using the board.

I'm thinking same way with the PRX stuff as I am doing now and then sending the monitors to the monitor out. Am I making it more simple than it is?

• Members

I would run the monitors off the monitor out since you do not want all of the FOH signal in the monitors. Run FOH from the mono out and monitors from the monitor out. You will be much happier that way.

OK... that's what I thought. :) Thanks!

I'm not sure about the RCFs though... they seem pricey. I'd almost like to get something that are sort of throw aways since I spent big money (for me) on the PRX stuff. I realize you get what you pay for, but right now I'm not even using the stuf with the band. :facepalm:

• Members

I think in terms of cost it just depends what your intended market is. The RCF is probably slightly above the JBL in terms of its place in the market. They'd no doubt make a great monitor. Do you need them? Up to you. Theres a fair bit of love on here for the wharfedale titan, thats an option, but its a cheaper speaker well below the PRX in the market.

Try them out and decide whats good enough. If you want to be in a solid semi pro place in the market you're gonna want something quality like the RCF or PRX. Whats wrong with getting PRX512ms as monitors? Or are they more expensive in your market?

PS i would definitely use the mixer, with the front of house going to the main speakers (use the 718 crossover, it should be fine) and the monitor sends to the monitors (thats what they're there for)...

• Members

I think in terms of cost it just depends what your intended market is. The RCF is probably slightly above the JBL in terms of its place in the market. They'd no doubt make a great monitor. Do you need them? Up to you. Theres a fair bit of love on here for the wharfedale titan, thats an option, but its a cheaper speaker well below the PRX in the market.

Try them out and decide whats good enough. If you want to be in a solid semi pro place in the market you're gonna want something quality like the RCF or PRX. Whats wrong with getting PRX512ms as monitors? Or are they more expensive in your market?

PS i would definitely use the mixer, with the front of house going to the main speakers (use the 718 crossover, it should be fine) and the monitor sends to the monitors (thats what they're there for)...

Thanks for the info. My concern was how to run the PRX stuff in conjunction (is that the right word) with the other stuff. I don't think that will be a problem now.

I'm not set on anything at this point, but price definitely will play a part in it. I kind of went over budget for the PRX stuff and at this point I'm not even using it. I'm thinking down the road.

Thanks.

• Members

Are you considering the ART speakers as an addition that you would use for gigs, or strictly as rehearsal monitors? Since you have the PRX already and are happy with them, I'd simply add a small mixer to your rehearsal room to run the PRX's.

I was thinking as monitors for down the line. For practice what I have is fine. Truthfully, the RCF stuff is probably out of my price range, but it was the only speaker I could think of with a mixer built in.

• CMS Author

I was thinking as monitors for down the line. For practice what I have is fine. Truthfully, the RCF stuff is probably out of my price range, but it was the only speaker I could think of with a mixer built in.

I'd standardize with more PRX512's, and simply use a small mixer at rehearsal.

You realize the RCF Art 310A doesn't really have a mixer, right? It's got a single XLR input with no EQ control, just a volume control. This is even less control than your PRX512m, which at least has that boost/flat button.

• Members

I plan on writing up a review of my new RCF 310A's in the near future. The short story is that I was blown away by them last weekend as monitors. Previously was using RCF 322A's, which are roughly 2X the cost. The 310A's have a very natural sound. They remind me of studio monitors. As Al P has said, they are a bit dull sounding at first when listening to prerecorded music at low to mid levels. When you open them up a bit though the sound stays smooth, natural and very pleasing. By the end of the first set I had the EQ set flat, had them pretty loud with no hint of feedback. the 322A's would get a tad harsh when louder, but I'm guessing that's due to the larger exit and the fact they throw. The 310's just have a tight solid sound that I've not really heard from anything else I've ever used or owned.

Price wise, these can be had for $540 shipped. I don't know about the PRX, but I've heard the QSC K10's and think the RCF 310A blows it away..... Oh and is $160 cheaper than the MAP of the QSC.

• Members

I plan on writing up a review of my new RCF 310A's in the near future. The short story is that I was blown away by them last weekend as monitors. Previously was using RCF 322A's, which are roughly 2X the cost. The 310A's have a very natural sound. They remind me of studio monitors. As Al P has said, they are a bit dull sounding at first when listening to prerecorded music at low to mid levels. When you open them up a bit though the sound stays smooth, natural and very pleasing. By the end of the first set I had the EQ set flat, had them pretty loud with no hint of feedback. the 322A's would get a tad harsh when louder, but I'm guessing that's due to the larger exit and the fact they throw. The 310's just have a tight solid sound that I've not really heard from anything else I've ever used or owned.

Price wise, these can be had for $540 shipped. I don't know about the PRX, but I've heard the QSC K10's and think the RCF 310A blows it away..... Oh and is $160 cheaper than the MAP of the QSC.

Watch e-bay for some used Mackie SRM 350's (preferebly the Version 1) they work great for monitors.

Archived