Upgrading...I mean lightgrading from QSC HPR

• Members

Hey guys,

I've had my HPR system for nearly 5 years now and I am considering upgrading to a lightwieght system. Of course, top on the list is the new KW system. Next is probably the JBL PRX600 series. Prices are fairly similar on the two series. What are your thoughts each of those series? Also should I stick with a pair of 18's and pair of 3-way OR a pair of 18's and a pair of 12's?

In my experience with the HPR, the 12 tend to run out of gas when paired with the 18. Regardless, I would appreciate all your inputs.

• Members

I have not heard the KW series but I love my PRX612M over PRX718S system.

PRX718S's are going real cheap right now since they are discontinued. Very impressive sub for the money.

I would say the same about the HPR181's except for the weight.

• Members

I haven't heard the KWs but I have a pair of K10s that I use as monitors, and they're nice. I use them as mains at smaller gigs sometimes, but they're usually monitors. Very lightweight, they sound good, and so far they've held up well.

• Members

If you're considering the PRX6xx series, keep in mind they have a noise gate that can be
very
annoying at low volumes (like spoken word gigs)

Have you actually heard this or is it a propagation of an early semi-myth?

I had some PRX-512's here ion the shop and the gating occured way down next to the noise floor. An open mic in almost any room was enough to overcome this. IMO, it's a non-issue for any practical application.

• Members

Looks like QSC is sticking to their "conical waveguide" design. Whether marketing or rooted in physics, I'm just not a fan. Too much energy directed at ceilings with a 75 degree vertical pattern. Seems like a sawed off shotgun design that won't carry very far.

HERE IS QSC's TAKE ON IT - If all of that is true, why isn't everyone doing it that way? It's not like it's hard to mold a circle and certainly QSC hasn't patented the cone shape. I have seen on some speakers - Yorkville U Series, but there are other reasons for it, and some older Cerwin Vega boxes.

Opinions?

• Members

Have you actually heard this or is it a propagation of an early semi-myth?

I had some PRX-512's here ion the shop and the gating occured way down next to the noise floor. An open mic in almost any room was enough to overcome this. IMO, it's a non-issue for any practical application.

I heard it the first time I tried out these speakers. I was auditioning powered speakers for my church at the time. The contenders (at the time) were the PRX and the Yorkville U15P's. I tried out the PRX's and was annoyed enough by the gate to strike them from my list. I also remember bringing this up at the time and being told i was crazy then too. Maybe under some conditions they are okay. In a speech only situation (such as sermons) they were unacceptable to me. I suppose you could be clever and add in just enough noise to keep the gate open, but that's not really a good solution in my book.

• Members

In my experience with the HPR, the 12 tend to run out of gas when paired with the 18. Regardless, I would appreciate all your inputs.

With PRX512s paired with 518s, it might be the other way around. Seems like you can rip people's heads off with the tops long before you'll thump them in the chest with the subs.

• Members

I heard it the first time I tried out these speakers. I was auditioning powered speakers for my church at the time. The contenders (at the time) were the PRX and the Yorkville U15P's. I tried out the PRX's and was annoyed enough by the gate to strike them from my list. I also remember bringing this up at the time and being told i was crazy then too. Maybe under some conditions they are okay. In a speech only situation (such as sermons) they were unacceptable to me. I suppose you could be clever and add in just enough noise to keep the gate open, but that's not really a good solution in my book.

I purchased an early pair of PRX512m's (before they were available at most retail music stores) and mine have a gate that drives me nuts when using them at low volumes.

I hear they eventually fixed it...

• Members

Looks like QSC is sticking to their "conical waveguide" design. Whether marketing or rooted in physics, I'm just not a fan. Too much energy directed at ceilings with a 75 degree vertical pattern. Seems like a sawed off shotgun design that won't carry very far.

- If all of that is true, why isn't everyone doing it that way? It's not like it's hard to mold a circle and certainly QSC hasn't patented the cone shape. I have seen on some speakers - Yorkville U Series, but there are other reasons for it, and some older Cerwin Vega boxes.

Opinions?

Totally agree with you. I reckon it's probably more for marketing reasons - lets them play on the even coverage thang

• Members

I purchased an early pair of PRX512m's (before they were available at most retail music stores) and mine have a gate that drives me nuts when using them at low volumes.

I hear they eventually fixed it...

Thank you. I'm glad to have some additional confirmation. I am frankly a bit sick of being told i imagined it :mad:

• Members

you going to be selling the HPR rig, or are you keeping them?

LOL.

I was going to ask the same question.

I'm going to try to sell the HPR's. It's been a fun ride but I'm ready to try something else. I may just look into the ZXA5 that bill mentioned.

• Members

Probably a good time to be thinking about this since your HPR warranty is about to run out...

FWIW - I vote EV. I just wish they had better powered sub offerings... one that could hang with the ZXA5... something like a QRX218s w/ a Dynachord amp module that could put ~800W into each speaker.

• Members

I'm going to try to sell the HPR's. It's been a fun ride but I'm ready to try something else. I may just look into the ZXA5 that bill mentioned.

If you're willing to go to that price level, don't overlook RCF 500 or 700 series. Light, loud and with a large exit compression driver. I love my 522A's and am convinced there's nothing better for the price. Under 40 lbs, 90 degree dispersion, but still throw well. Crossover at 1200 Hz, which is up to an octave lower than a lot of other speakers and gives it a character I prefer.

• Members

Thank you. I'm glad to have some additional confirmation. I am frankly a bit sick of being told i imagined it
:mad:

The reason I asked is because it seems that myths get propagated like a bad desease. I haven't heard it to the extent that it would affect any practical PA application and I have a pair of them here. It's way down in the noise floor and what you hear is the noise floor changing. For all butt he very quietest near field applications I can't see it being an issue.

Maybe there is a wide variation in the performance of the "gate" effect (which may not be a gate at all but a PWM modulation control change) and while most are no problem there are a few that are worse than the norm.

• Members

Thank you. I'm glad to have some additional confirmation. I am frankly a bit sick of being told i imagined it
:mad:

And yet here you are saying the PRX6 series has gates without actually confirming that is true or not. :poke:

You do realize the 6 series is brand new this year, right? Maybe not.

• Members

And yet here you are saying the PRX6 series has gates without actually confirming that is true or not. :poke:

You do realize the 6 series is brand new this year, right? Maybe not.

Probably saying it's not a "gate" per se but it is perceived as that because of how it is interpreted by the ear.

Archived