Promised some video...

• Members

Hey Guys,

A while back I said I'd put up some video to get a little feedback from you, so thats what I'm doing...

So for that gig I did a while back with my band and a hip hop crew here are a couple...

This one is of the layout of the bar itself and some of my setup ideas:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

This one shows more of the gear situation at the same show:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Then this one is a bit of the lights and how they came out when it was dark:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

And finally... this is the new studio we just moved into:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Anyway... hope you guys enjoy... I know I didn't say much about the set up and my thought process... I was just stressin' about the show. Any tips you can offer would be sweeeeet!

Thanks!

(And thanks again to Coaster)

• Members

Cool vids mate:)

Just looking at channel 1 (kick mic I'm thinking) you have the high mid sweep @ maybe 500-600HZ and -15dB. I would be more inclined from what I do to be (depending on many variables including music type) running 234K with maybe +5 or 10 dB. Unsure what sort of sound you are looking for and what it sounds like now, hopefully fantastic!:)

Just what I have noted from watching the vids, cheeeeeers!

Are you getting enough height over the top of the punters with the speakers at that level gaining clear coverage with out having to blast up the volume knob?

Post some more of the show if you can, I like, I like !!

• Members

AAACK! AAACK! what the hell is that behringer doing with that otherwise decent audio gear?

do i need to come over there?
:mad:

do you need more brush goes up, brush goes down young danielson?

I actually noticed the same thing, I don't have a problem with Behringer (if it fits your needs, you are ok with the higher risk of failure and especially if it's already bought) but it's a little sad to see a complete system with good gear and then one piece of Behringer. All about the bragging rights at this point. Hehe.

• Members

instead of criss crossing the speakers i would have set the speaker stacks normally allowing the sound to fill the space directly in front of the band and not worried about the area off to the side in the back. This would allow some space that is out of the "blast zone" for those that might want a quieter level.

most of my gigs are in similar situations and i find that i am often using the PA to "fill in" whatever frequencies don't carry through the whole room. For example if the guitar is already loud and i can't do much about it it will often end up muddy in the back of the room so i'll reinforce the midrange with the PA to get its clarity back, instead of trying to make a beautiful full range guitar sound in the PA only.

• Members

Just looking at channel 1 (kick mic I'm thinking) you have the high mid sweep @ maybe 500-600HZ and -15dB. I would be more inclined from what I do to be (depending on many variables including music type) running 234K with maybe +5 or 10 dB. Unsure what sort of sound you are looking for and what it sounds like now, hopefully fantastic!
:)

Just what I have noted from watching the vids, cheeeeeers!

Are you getting enough height over the top of the punters with the speakers at that level gaining clear coverage with out having to blast up the volume knob?

Post some more of the show if you can, I like, I like !!

As far as the kick goes... I was having the hardest time getting the sound I wanted that night (and I've had a great kick not too long ago with the same system) but I think it might have been a phase issue... so yeah, I wasn't really that happy with the kick that night.

They are just high enough to give good sound but I was also talking about building just a one foot riser to put on the subs and then the HPR153s on top of that.

Unfortunately I didn't get a vid of my own band that night :( My girlfriend wasn't there to film!

• Members

AAACK! AAACK! what the hell is that behringer doing with that otherwise decent audio gear?

do i need to come over there?
:mad:

do you need more brush goes up, brush goes down young danielson?

Wait are you talking about the monitors? I assume so, cause I don't think I have any other behringer gear...

The monitors were when I ran out of money but needed mons. Got a GREAT deal on them ($450 for all three) brand new from GC. Those are the next upgrade. I'd like to do K10s.

Trust me I know... I hate having them facing me when the QSCs are facing the audience. :(

• Members

instead of criss crossing the speakers i would have set the speaker stacks normally allowing the sound to fill the space directly in front of the band and not worried about the area off to the side in the back. This would allow some space that is out of the "blast zone" for those that might want a quieter level.

Well... the criss cross was to stop the bounce from the back wall back to the stage. At this venue the last time we played and it was like having a 1/2 second delay on everything sent right back to us... confusing as hell.

• Members

Nice set up , but it seems like a really lot of work for such a small room. I cant help but think it would be pretty easy to sound like 60 pounds of {censored} in a 20 pound bag with that much gear in that small a bar.

• Members

Nice set up , but it seems like a really lot of work for such a small room. I cant help but think it would be pretty easy to sound like 60 pounds of {censored} in a 20 pound bag with that much gear in that small a bar.

Yup. Volume control. I generally get a good mix there, no verb on anything, keep the drums low...

This is my new set up. I used to have 15s on sticks. Which worked well, but I couldn't have both. So for any show I'm doing... I'm lugging this gear.

• Members

Yup. Volume control. I generally get a good mix there, no verb on anything, keep the drums low...

This is my new set up. I used to have 15s on sticks. Which worked well, but I couldn't have both. So for any show I'm doing... I'm lugging this gear.

Thats cool. we would play that room with a couple eons on a stick ,, one for a monitor. Set up in 35 mins,, play and be gone just as fast. It looks like a pretty live room,, so killing the verb and cutting the mud would be in order. You could carry that room easy with the back line and not alot in the way of micing {censored}. maybe a little DI off the amps. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Bars like that dont need much to sound good ,,because they are small. Volume control and dealing with the bunker effect are the challenges. Its easy to make mud with all the hard surfaces. Lots of gear makes it even easier. As having both ,,,, with active speakers , you can run cut down and go big pretty easy. fit the gear to the room

• Members

Sweet rig, dude.

I wouldn't cross the mains. Sure you get coverage in the zones out of the way, but you sacrifice sound quality on the dance floor directly in front of the band. Try not to "cross the streams", you want the best sound on the dance floor. Anybody in the back crazy areas can come up to the dance floor if they want to see and hear the band in it's glory.

• Members

Sweet rig, dude.

I wouldn't cross the mains. Sure you get coverage in the zones out of the way, but you sacrifice sound quality on the dance floor directly in front of the band. Try not to "cross the streams", you want the best sound on the dance floor. Anybody in the back crazy areas can come up to the dance floor if they want to see and hear the band in it's glory.

Okay, you're the second person to say this... and I guess I'm just going to have to agree. What I was trying to do was stop the bounce back of sound from the back wall. But when I think back to the night... and how I couldn't get the kick to sound right and it just wasn't my best night of sound there... I think the trade off isn't worth it. So next time I'll just go with straight ahead like you guys are saying.

Thanks!

• Members

Just looking at channel 1 (kick mic I'm thinking) you have the high mid sweep @ maybe 500-600HZ and -15dB. I would be more inclined from what I do to be (depending on many variables including music type) running 234K with maybe +5 or 10 dB. Unsure what sort of sound you are looking for and what it sounds like now, hopefully fantastic!
:)

Would be surprised if you needed that much click boost on an Audix D6, it's already pretty clicky.

• Members

Okay, you're the second person to say this... and I guess I'm just going to have to agree.
What I was trying to do was stop the bounce back of sound from the back wall.
But when I think back to the night... and how I couldn't get the kick to sound right and it just wasn't my best night of sound there... I think the trade off isn't worth it. So next time I'll just go with straight ahead like you guys are saying.

Thanks!

With that shaped room i would have been tempted not to bother with the right hand side stack and just kept the left side angled across. The right stack isn't really offering anything other than deafening people at the bar and constructively/destructively interfering with the left stack

• Members

With that shaped room i would have been tempted not to bother with the right hand side stack and just kept the light side angled across. The right stack isn't really offering anything other than deafening people at the bar and constructively/destructively interfering with the left stack

See these are the kinds of things I wouldn't even think to try! I'm so glad for all the help I get here.

If I could just have the left side pumpin' that would greatly reduce the volume and the mud, but with little experience its not something I would've even considered.

• Members

What I was trying to do was stop the bounce back of sound from the back wall.

Also consider, the back wall isn't your only concern. The walls directly adjacent as well as other things... such as the bar. You don't want one of your speaker stacks blowing directly at people trying to order drinks at the bar.

It's a good idea to steer your coverage patterns away from reflective surfaces, but also a bad idea to overlap coverage from two different sources.

There are a lot of things to consider, and with experience you learn to decide what you're trying to accomplish, what the benefits and trade-offs will be, and then make suitable compromises. In a perfect world we can set up things the way we want, but that never happens. In the end you come up with the best solution according to your experience, and make the best of it. We all run into rooms or rigs that just don't want to co-operate, and on those nights I grab some beers, sit at FOH, and cling desperately to my console as I try to ride out the night.

Like we always say; it depends.

Archived