Looking for guitar recommendations

65_289

• Members

So I am picking up the axe again after a few years off. Dealt with finger and elbow issues, moving cross-country, etc. My current guitars are a MIM Strat and an Epi college LP. I'm not selling either one. The Epi was an anniversary gift from my wife, even though I don't care for the way it plays or sounds. The Strat was my first real guitar and it does Strat things very well. I'm looking for something that will be used to play downtuned stuff, maybe B to C standard. Sleep, Electric Wizard, Crowbar, Monolord, Windhand, A Perfect Circle, along those lines. I'd like to keep the budget under $600 used. So far I have checked out a PRS SE Custom 24 for $450, which was nice but the neck was extremely sticky. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning, I don't know. Also looking at the LTD EC-1000 online, I just cant find one locally to play. Any other suggestions?

• Members
12 hours ago, badpenguin said:

A baritone from Agile. 

https://www.rondomusic.com/Baritone_Guitars.html

A 7/8 string from Agile.

https://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html

https://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html

I don't play baritone, or the 7 and 8 string, but I trust the Agile line for being great guitars for the price.

I would respectfully disagree with your recommendation

Sometimes it's all about the loose strings to get the sound.(not a sound I would prefer but...)

• Members

I would look into trying out a used Schecter or used LTD guitar for your budget. Even a new Agile would be around that price point. I primarily play baritone guitars, but in your case I don't know if I'd recommend one right off the bat. It sounds like the tunings you want to use fall in that range, but I think you can get away with a 25.5" scale guitar for C and B. I think that should be the minimum scale length to look for, though. Something like a 24.75" or 25" scale is going to be too short in my opinion.

• Members

Tuning that low on a standard guitar can feel a bit sloppy.  Have you tried down tuning on your current guitars?  If they still feel and sound good to you, I would probably stick with a standard versus baritone guitar and look for a used Schecter or used Gibson LP Studio or maybe a used Gibson SG Standard.  No matter what you would benefit from going to your local music store and trying out a bunch of models to see what suits you.  

• Members
39 minutes ago, codecontra said:

Tuning that low on a standard guitar can feel a bit sloppy.  Have you tried down tuning on your current guitars?  If they still feel and sound good to you, I would probably stick with a standard versus baritone guitar and look for a used Schecter or used Gibson LP Studio or maybe a used Gibson SG Standard.  No matter what you would benefit from going to your local music store and trying out a bunch of models to see what suits you.  

I have not tried that on my current guitars, good point.  They both have 9's on them, so I figured it would be a floppy mess if I tried to hit C standard with them.  I've found an LP Studio for $700 with hard shell case on CL, I plan to go check that one out.

• Members
8 hours ago, 65_289 said:

I have not tried that on my current guitars, good point.  They both have 9's on them, so I figured it would be a floppy mess if I tried to hit C standard with them.  I've found an LP Studio for $700 with hard shell case on CL, I plan to go check that one out.

The LP Studio is a good choice.  You may need to go up to at least 10's though for your strings, possibly 11's. 

If you like the CL guitar, offer $650 cash.

• Members
12 hours ago, codecontra said:

The LP Studio is a good choice.  You may need to go up to at least 10's though for your strings, possibly 11's. 

If you like the CL guitar, offer $650 cash.

I was thinking 11-54 for C standard.  My plan was exactly that, offer $650.  Thanks!!

Archived