kwakatak

Build #3 - I can't help myself

Just as I kicked off #2 before #1 was done, #3 has been kind of waiting to happen.

48010445942_65ca47e6f2_c_d.jpg

47243026642_a00a170ac4_c_d.jpg

48952505723_796210df4d_c_d.jpg

48953055436_c75585593a_c_d.jpg

The back and sides are black walnut from StewMac in Athens, OH. The top is student grade sitka from RC Tonewoods in Buffalo, NY. The neck came indirectly from Martin in Nazareth, PA as did the precut bracing and neck block. The fretboard came from LMI way out in California.

This will more of a kit-type build as the internal components and the neck are pre-shaped. The bigger challenges being reducing the plates and slats to final thickness and bending the sides. My technique is getting better as I learn to plane at a 45 degree angle from the grain. I must confess that planing the top did not come out as clean as I'd liked but at $20 I'm willing to order another and start over. As the sides get slowly thinner as I work them I am already amazed at how pliable walnut is. My hope is that it retains its shape after bending like EIR has for me in the previous build.

• Like 2

Nice neck.   Braz veneer?  Can't see the neck joint from your pic, but I assume dovetail from the volute.   Should be fun trying to mate with the neck block (although you can get those from Martin too).

6 hours ago, gitnoob said:

Nice neck.   Braz veneer?  Can't see the neck joint from your pic, but I assume dovetail from the volute.   Should be fun trying to mate with the neck block (although you can get those from Martin too).

The veneer is ziricote. The neck joint is indeed a dovetail and yes I already have not one but two corresponding neck blocks from Martin. I originally bought a neck block for a dread but it and the mortise are too big so I went back and ordered a smaller one for a 000/OM. I bought 1/4" bracing for a 00 (instead of 5/16" for 000 and above) because I know that the 35s use this size. I want this one to growl.

Edited by kwakatak