Jump to content
kwakatak

Build #3 - I can't help myself

Recommended Posts

Just as I kicked off #2 before #1 was done, #3 has been kind of waiting to happen.

48010445942_65ca47e6f2_c_d.jpg

47243026642_a00a170ac4_c_d.jpg

48952505723_796210df4d_c_d.jpg

48953055436_c75585593a_c_d.jpg

The back and sides are black walnut from StewMac in Athens, OH. The top is student grade sitka from RC Tonewoods in Buffalo, NY. The neck came indirectly from Martin in Nazareth, PA as did the precut bracing and neck block. The fretboard came from LMI way out in California.

This will more of a kit-type build as the internal components and the neck are pre-shaped. The bigger challenges being reducing the plates and slats to final thickness and bending the sides. My technique is getting better as I learn to plane at a 45 degree angle from the grain. I must confess that planing the top did not come out as clean as I'd liked but at $20 I'm willing to order another and start over. As the sides get slowly thinner as I work them I am already amazed at how pliable walnut is. My hope is that it retains its shape after bending like EIR has for me in the previous build.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice neck.   Braz veneer?  Can't see the neck joint from your pic, but I assume dovetail from the volute.   Should be fun trying to mate with the neck block (although you can get those from Martin too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gitnoob said:

Nice neck.   Braz veneer?  Can't see the neck joint from your pic, but I assume dovetail from the volute.   Should be fun trying to mate with the neck block (although you can get those from Martin too).

The veneer is ziricote. The neck joint is indeed a dovetail and yes I already have not one but two corresponding neck blocks from Martin. I originally bought a neck block for a dread but it and the mortise are too big so I went back and ordered a smaller one for a 000/OM. I bought 1/4" bracing for a 00 (instead of 5/16" for 000 and above) because I know that the 35s use this size. I want this one to growl.

Edited by kwakatak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone. My intent was to pick this back up in the spring and I have. I traced my Larrivee OM again and cut out and routed two templates (out of bitch plywood this time) which will be used to make a bending form. 
 

I also sharpened my blades and trued the soles on my planes and got to work planing the black walnut back and sides to a thickness of .1” for the sides and .11” for the back. I also inlaid a zig zag back strip in the back. 
 

Finally, I traced the templates and cut out a rough outline on my little Ryobi bandsaw.  I did this so that I could better measure the thickness close to the center strip and have less material to have to plane away with my No. 5 bench plane. 

6A37C06A-9219-46EB-A204-6805CFE9AEE0.jpeg

2C4EF720-4FE9-47C1-B10D-99A0CD8ED19C.jpeg
 

I’m contemplating on what to do next. I’m set to brace the back but feel like I should focus on the sides. If I do the latter, I want to make another mold from birch plywood because the MDF didn’t come out as well as I’d hoped and the material is not as easy to work with as plywood is. I’d also like to make a steam box instead of using a hot pipe or nylon heating blanket. 
 

What should I do?

Edited by kwakatak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 8:46 PM, kwakatak said:

Hi everyone. My intent was to pick this back up in the spring and I have. I traced my Larrivee OM again and cut out and routed two templates (out of bitch plywood this time) which will be used to make a bending form. 
 

I also sharpened my blades and trued the soles on my planes and got to work planing the black walnut back and sides to a thickness of .1” for the sides and .11” for the back. I also inlaid a zig zag back strip in the back. 
 

Finally, I traced the templates and cut out a rough outline on my little Ryobi bandsaw.  I did this so that I could better measure the thickness close to the center strip and have less material to have to plane away with my No. 5 bench plane. 

6A37C06A-9219-46EB-A204-6805CFE9AEE0.jpeg

2C4EF720-4FE9-47C1-B10D-99A0CD8ED19C.jpeg
 

I’m contemplating on what to do next. I’m set to brace the back but feel like I should focus on the sides. If I do the latter, I want to make another mold from birch plywood because the MDF didn’t come out as well as I’d hoped and the material is not as easy to work with as plywood is. I’d also like to make a steam box instead of using a hot pipe or nylon heating blanket. 
 

What should I do?

I'd probably focus on the equipment and obtain/fabricate it to my satisfaction, meaning it will do what it was designed/intended to do within an acceptable degree or error, before going into the construction of the guitar. But, that's me. I can fly but prefer to tinker with the mechanics of flying, meaning I'm much more interested in the mechanisms of flight than I am in the dynamics of it. This necessarily involves tools, fixtures, jigs and other equipment related to the scope of building and maintenance. I design and build stuff to that end and it's so much more interesting and rewarding than maintaining a compass heading at Angels 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No suggestions but I'm glad to see you getting back to your build. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish spring would get here. I like doing this type of work outside in the sun. My basement is cluttered and dark.

I'm still working on the mold and bending forms. I have three outlines cut on my 9" bandsaw so far. It isn't the best but I need the practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 5:46 PM, kwakatak said:

Hi everyone. My intent was to pick this back up in the spring and I have....routed two templates (out of bitch plywood this time) which will be used to make a bending form.

 

6A37C06A-9219-46EB-A204-6805CFE9AEE0.jpeg

2C4EF720-4FE9-47C1-B10D-99A0CD8ED19C.jpeg
What should I do?

stop badmouthing the plywood!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG. Sorry so salty! It's this social distancing. I've haven't slipped like this since my Navy days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kwakatak said:

OMG. Sorry so salty! It's this social distancing. I've haven't slipped like this since my Navy days!

It's also most likely due to a little thing called "autocorrect."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...