Sign in to follow this  
ProDigit

Mini amp for Jazz with effects, for noodling; Blackstar Fly 3 VS Roland Micro Cube VS Vox Mini 5?

Hi guys,

Looking for a mini bedroom amp, for some noodling around.

I've looked at the review of most 1-6Watt amps, and 2 stood out for me.
I need further help, with what amp you'd recommend me, more for Jazz, soul, funk, and ez-listening, as well as noodling around.

Blackstar Fly 3 VS Roland Micro Cube VS Vox mini 5, which one to get?

I like that the Roland sounds clean, and has lots of effects.
I like that the Blackstar can be equipped with an extension cabinet, and is smaller. Is also quite cheap!
Vox is also a good contender, but is a bit on the expensive side.

All sound great to me!

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Just for reference, I've eliminated following amps from the list, as they were lacking sound quality, effects, options, or just looks. So following amps I would not want anyway:

• Pignose (no effects, ugly)
  • Boss Katana Mini (price, and I just wasn't found for their sound)
  • Laney (doesn't sound very bright, which I find necessary for clean guitar)
  • Fender Mini '57 Twin (no effects)
  • Yamaha amps (price)
  • Most sub 3Watt amps aren't loud enough imho. So anything below 3Watts I won't even consider (like Fender MD 20, or Marshall MS-2)
  • Any 10W amp or higher is overkill to me.

I like the versatility of my roland street cube ex...10/25/50 watts...   I’ve been using it a little over a year and a half and still quite pleased with it.   

Yamaha THR10. 300 bucks, all the effects you could want, headphones, and USB. ALL at a whopping 5 watts a channel.

Roland MicroCube. Effects, size, 5 watts, battery operated.

But anything over 10 watts is overkill? Have you heard of a new invention on amps called..... a volume knob? My "bedroom" practice amps are the same I use live. A 60 watt Roland bolt 60, and a Roland original Bluescube. Again, 60 watts. 

Edited by badpenguin

So I assume you don't want to spend more than $150, given you consider Vox and Yamaha too spendy. That would rule out the street ex, or just regular cube street. Could try used: I got a perfect shape cube street for $180...

I have Katana mini and fly 3 with extension cab, besides spendier cube street, Yamaha THR, etc etc. I have lots of  small battery power amps as most of my plinking is down on beach with friends. I prefer Katana as it is as light as an empty lunch box. Weight matters to me, but probably not for you.

I use a Pandora effects PX5D before going into fly, Katana, or micro cube which does wonders for available tones. Just to add even more fun to the list, have you taken a look at the Laney minis? Have smartphone connection to use tonebridge so tons of mod available. Haven't pursued as I don't use phone for internet & wonder if my little phone has good enough soundcard to support... stereo, 6 watts, etc.... https://www.laney.co.uk/products/mini-mini-st-lion-battery-powered-combo

If you could give us a budget limit, that would help...have you considered a headphone amplifier? Something like the old Rockman Ace / Tom Scholtz Solist? Those show up on Reverb.com all the time under $100[US]

Maybe something like the Old Blood Noise 'Endeavors', EHX Headphone Amp,  Vox Mio Akiyama or the AP2 models, M-Audio Traveler, Presonus HP-2, or even a Line6 POD?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daddymack said:

If you could give us a budget limit, that would help...have you considered a headphone amplifier? Something like the old Rockman Ace / Tom Scholtz Solist? Those show up on Reverb.com all the time under $100[US]

Maybe something like the Old Blood Noise 'Endeavors', EHX Headphone Amp,  Vox Mio Akiyama or the AP2 models, M-Audio Traveler, Presonus HP-2, or even a Line6 POD?

Good idea. That Pandora mini effects (bit larger than pack of cards) whatever I mentioned is a form of headphone amp I reckon, as a plus it also has section for bass. As a plus you can set for line out, then plug it into computer speakers or whatever you might have in bedroom that has aux in jack. Stereo too