First gig with lots of new gear (pics too)

• Members

Last night our band played an outdoor gig that was a benefit for a local charity that my wife supports. It was also our first gig with a ton of new gear, so it was fun to shake down the new equipment and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Here's a pic of the whole setup:

2010-08-28_18-58-11_910.jpg

There are two 18" sub scoops, two EV ZX5 tops, two OAP 12/horn tops being used as monitors, an OAP monitor back by the drummer, and a Carvin LM15 for sidefill (away from stage) for coverage on the rest of the porch.

The OAP tops didn't make good monitors. The horns have a really wide dispersion pattern, so we had to work to control feedback (we didn't have any feedback during the gig, but only because we worked hard on placement and used a Feedback Ferret....all 16 filters were in use the whole gig). The vocalists loved the way they sounded, but we'd have been better off swapping the OAPs to FOH and using the EV's as monitors. We actually have a set of Carvim LM153's back at the rehearsal space, and even those would have been better I think. Live and learn.

Here are pics of the board and racks:

2010-08-28_18-59-49_498.jpg

2010-08-28_18-59-07_566.jpg

We're using the following rack gear:

Mixer Rack:

DBX compressor (one side for each of the two main VOX channels)

DBX four-channel gate (kick, snare, tom 1 and tom 2 channels)

Lexicon MX400 delay (vocal delay on one channel, drum delay on the other)

DBX 31-band EQ (for mains)

Peavey Feedback Ferret (one channel for each monitor mix)

Amp rack:

DBX crossover

Crown XLS2000 (monitors)

Crown XLi2000 (channel one=subs, channel two=tops)

I think the subs were underpowered for an outside gig, rather predictably based on the amp specs. I didn't try running just one. There was enough bass, but it was heard more than felt. This was preferable for the crowd we were playing for, but I'd rather feed the lows more power or more signal at least.

Overall, the whole band was pleased with the way we sounded out front, and how well we could hear each other on stage. I made the mistake of giving up my monitor to use as the sidefill, which I won't do again. I only sing lead on one song but it's still necessary, and I'd like to be able to hear what the vocalists are hearing. I was running sound from the stage, which is always a compromise. But we didn't have one single complaint about the sound. I solicited feedback from several people who see a lot of live music, asking if anything about the mix could be improved, and the unanimous feedback was that the mix was excellent.

I think this system will be plenty capable enough for the indoor gigs we're likely to do. I may decide to upgrade the amp for the mains to and XLi4000 and move the XLi2000 to monitors, but I don't think there's any rush.

If you guys see anything in the pics that looks wonky or stupid, please let me know!

2010-08-28_18-57-50_980.jpg

2010-08-28_19-00-11_115.jpg

2010-08-28_19-00-03_715.jpg

2010-08-28_19-00-41_256.jpg

2010-08-28_19-00-23_325.jpg

• Members

First, nice post. I wish more (including me) would do it that way as it eliminates a LOT of questions for clarification.

First thing that caught my eye in the pics was the micing of the guitar cabs. What mics are those? They look like 57s... not the best mic to drape over a cab like that... you should invest in Senn e609s or similar if you need to eliminate guitar cab mic stands like that.

All in all, nice rig.

• Members

First, nice post. I wish more (including me) would do it that way as it eliminates a LOT of questions for clarification.

First thing that caught my eye in the pics was the micing of the guitar cabs. What mics are those? They look like 57s... not the best mic to drape over a cab like that... you should invest in Senn e609s or similar if you need to eliminate guitar cab mic stands like that.

All in all, nice rig.

Thanks, good idea. I get surprisingly good results with using the 57's that way, but since I prefer to drape the amps like that I should probably get the right mics for the job.

• Members

Later in the evening...the mix is good. I have never mangled a solo like I mangled that one. I normally play the same thing every time in this tune, and I just blanked. I was playing in D and the song is in G. Hell, it happens right?

[YOUTUBE]orF68chSu_o[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Nice setup and show. Clean mix with a tight bottom. Hear more of the bass drum as the night went on but thats normal. ( Even the shure mic doesn't sound too bad
:)
)) Home brew subs? They sounded fine.

Dookietwo

Yeah, the subs are of uncertain provenance. They are a folded-horn design with really good Eminence drivers, but the boxes are pretty beat. Got the pair for $350 IIRC so I'm not complaining. I may get the gumption one day to put the drivers in better boxes.

• Members

Is it just me or those wedges pointed to far down? Could be the angle of the camera I dunno looks like their blasting your feet and not pointed up high enough for the performer.

The old timers here usually discourage FB eliminates and recommend using a 31 band eq and learn how to ring out your monitor system, but sometimes.

That's easier said then done esp. if you have a lot of reflective surfaces and somebody being stubborn about turning down their volume.

• Members

I would say that they are intended as mains and not as monitors. The wedge shape isn't suited for the application and it might be better served to create some sort of base to tilt them upwards more.

Yep. As mentioned above, I don't think I'll use them that way again. They actually were okay in terms of where they were pointing, but the wide-dispersion horns turned into tall-dispersion horns when laid sideways. In hindsight those should have been on the sticks and the EV's should have been used as monitors, which is one of their intended uses.

• Members

The old timers here usually discourage FB eliminates and recommend using a 31 band eq and learn how to ring out your monitor system, but sometimes.

That's easier said then done esp. if you have a lot of reflective surfaces and somebody being stubborn about turning down their volume.

Probably right. We kept stage volume reasonable, which helped a lot. I tried to ring out the monitors using the Feedback Ferret if that makes sense, and we didn't have any feedback issues during the show which was good. Trying to minimize the time I have to spend fiddling with the PA once the show starts, so we're trying the feedback buster for the time being. Fully willing to go to 31-band EQ if necessary.

• Members

Must be one damn good sounding floor!

Funny, I've recorded live gigs (all separate tracks into a digital recording interface/PC....) and draped the mics (one guitard in my band is rather lazy and doesnt want to bother with a stand.) ... I didn't hear anything in the recording that was off from his tone. Maybe there wasn't as much 'woof' in it, but he's not a woofy guy... we used to hang 57's all the time with no negative issues.

my 2 sense

• Members

Practically there isn't anything wrong with hanging a 57 over the cab. What happens though is the mic will be picking up sound off-axis which frequency response changes off axis (see the piece of paper in the mic box which the funny graph?). E609s work well in these situations though, try them.

Archived