New Harmony Guitars

Into Nation

• Members

So weird. Looks like the brand was purchased by Bandlab, a tech company headquartered in Singapore that makes a music collaboration app. They make a lot of effort to make it seem like they have a connection to the historic Harmony brand, but I really doubt they have any connection at all. They've certainly demonstrated they don't really understand the appeal of the original Harmony company. 

I'm guessing they bought the trademark from Sears out of bankruptcy, or acquired it from someone who did.

There are a quite a few guitar brands that have little or no connection to the historic company of the same name. Some of them do a good job, some not so much. For example, Supro is owned by the same company that makes Pigtronix pedals. I think people like their amps. Ampeg has been passed around a lot (owned by Saint Louis Music aka Crate, then LOUD aka Mackie, then Yahama Guitar Group aka Line 6).

• Members
8 minutes ago, Zooey said:

So weird. Looks like the brand was purchased by Bandlab, a tech company headquartered in Singapore that makes a music collaboration app.

They bought Cakewalk when it went under and distribute Sonar for free.

• Members
18 minutes ago, New Trail said:

$1300 isn't too far out of line for an American made guitar.

But being on a cheap end of expensive was not what Harmony was known for. At least in my lifetime. 

I think the designs are cool enough, they remind me of certain Eastwood guitars. The price is actually good for a US made guitar, though you can get a "Fullerton Standard" G&L for the same or cheaper. It seems like a stretch to me that they set up a new production line for guitars, maybe these are OEMed by another company. Like Heritage, which is also in Kalamazoo, I think. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Zooey said:

But being on a cheap end of expensive was not what Harmony was known for. At least in my lifetime. 

I think the designs are cool enough, they remind me of certain Eastwood guitars. The price is actually good for a US made guitar, though you can get a "Fullerton Standard" G&L for the same or cheaper. It seems like a stretch to me that they set up a new production line for guitars, maybe these are OEMed by another company. Like Heritage, which is also in Kalamazoo, I think. 

You might be on to something.  The email I got from Sweetwater was about both Heritage and Harmony.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Heritage_Guitar_Inc_?utm_content=hero-button&utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20191017-harmonyheritage-t1guitar

1 hour ago, Into Nation said:

My bandmate had a Harmony Rocket I think in the 70's.  I didn't know that brand was making new guitars...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Harmony?utm_content=hero-button&utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20191017-harmonyheritage-t1guitar

Yup. Stay tuned - Chris is going to have a review of the Harmony Rebel double-cutaway real soon... :snax: 

• Members

The very first electric guitar I ever played was a Harmony, back in the 60s.  I borrowed from a girl who played in a band with my best friend, who was the drummer.  I gave it back after a while because my mom wouldn't fork out the $25 the girl wanted for it.  My first acoustic was a nylon string that I bought at Woolworths not long after that. I think it was $20 new.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Archived