Apparently I am. A big Twit

steve mac

• Members

About a year ago I posted on here that just out of curiosity I was going to give Twitter a go. To be frank I found it confusing and the word limit very restricting as I am verbose by nature.

I decided to post about gigging offering thoughts and tips at a rate of roughly one per day, but in the first month it was like talking to myself in a big hall, with neither likes nor replies coming my way.

Still Mrs Mac didn't raise not quitter and slowly responses started to come and now a year later I have a following of over 3200, with more arriving everyday. 

I plan on "monetising" it perhaps in a year or so, but at the moment it's just an interesting ten minutes or so within my day and people seem to get something out of what I say (yes surprised me too)

Now after posting approx 350 giggingtips, a lot of them stolen with pride from here, my well is running a bit dry, so if you could give your younger self any "gigging tips" what would they be?

Cheers Steve 

• Members

I have thought about Twitter for a while. I haven't done anything about it yet. In terms of what I would tell my younger self as a performer, I would say learn to read music earlier and be disciplined enough to do some reading every day. That and stop lifting Hammond B-3's, power distribution trunks and overloaded amp racks. It will come back to haunt you past age 50!

• Moderators

"shut yer festering gob, you twit! You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodourous pervert! " Monty Python, 'the Argument Clinic' [actually the line is 'tit', but I felt at the moment I could take a small liberty...]

so wait, you wanna pick our brains...so you can monetize your twitter account....?

Right, sounds fair to me. :wave:

and please, no queries as to the past tense of 'twit'....:facepalm:

• Moderators

now, as to the advice part...I agree with Riley on learning to read music...also, take a class in Harmony...it will open your eyes to the entire chord theory, voice leading, etc.

Don't use 4x12 cabinets.

Don't use tube amps rated over 50 watts....

Don't buy into the 'clean headroom' myth...

Never do a pass the hat gig...you won't get your hat back.

don't blame your gear for your lack of ability.

if the gig includes accommodations, make sure it isn't one room for the entire band!

• Members
18 hours ago, daddymack said:

now, as to the advice part...I agree with Riley on learning to read music...also, take a class in Harmony...it will open your eyes to the entire chord theory, voice leading, etc.

Don't use 4x12 cabinets.

Don't use tube amps rated over 50 watts....

Don't buy into the 'clean headroom' myth...

Never do a pass the hat gig...you won't get your hat back.

don't blame your gear for your lack of ability.

if the gig includes accommodations, make sure it isn't one room for the entire band!

Two additions that have served well in many gigs over the years...

1. Try to avoid women with big boyfriends.

c. If you can’t follow rule #1,  remember to never lead with your chin...  

• Members

Outside and weather - if it's a new venue or private party find out if the event is inside or outside. If it's outside, will there be a tent for guests and you the entertainer?

Tips on dealing with rain: Get a tarp or two and put them in your vehicle if the weather looks iffy. Garbage bags can go over speakers, throw the tarp over the rest of your stuff if it starts to rain.

Archived