Need Subwoofer Purchase Help Pleaaaaase!

• Members

Alright, now I'm confused. I am looking at adding subs to my PA system for our 4 piece rock band. I was all set on buying a pair of the Cerwin Vega INT-118S subs http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cerwin-Vega-INT118S-18-Passive-Subwoofer?sku=501839 when I read the other thread about the country band looking for subs.

Didn't want to steal their thread so I thought I'd ask my own question. We play mainly small rooms, no more tha 200 people and most of the time less. We also do the occasional outside events at some of the local wineries and private parties/events. I also have a QSC RMX2450 that I will use to power the subs, so I prefer something passive. I have a budget of $1200 which needs to include a crossover. I can get a good dbx xover for $150 which leaves around $1000 for the subs.

Soooo, my question is would a pair of the CV subs listed above do the job or would I be better off buying one higher quality sub then add a second when I can afford it? What else would you guys recommend for my price range? Thanks for your help!

• Members

Alright, now I'm confused. I am looking at adding subs to my PA system for our 4 piece rock band. I was all set on buying a pair of the Cerwin Vega INT-118S subs
when I read the other thread about the country band looking for subs.

Didn't want to steal their thread so I thought I'd ask my own question. We play mainly small rooms, no more tha 200 people and most of the time less. We also do the occasional outside events at some of the local wineries and private parties/events. I also have a QSC RMX2450 that I will use to power the subs, so I prefer something passive. I have a budget of $1200 which needs to include a crossover. I can get a good dbx xover for $150 which leaves around $1000 for the subs.

Soooo, my question is would a pair of the CV subs listed above do the job or would I be better off buying one higher quality sub then add a second when I can afford it? What else would you guys recommend for my price range? Thanks for your help!

One good sub, add the other when you can.

• Members

Oh man, I'd be all over that offer if I was in California.
:cool:

That's funny, I was going to see if he would meet me in Seattle:)

Anyway, to the OP, I'm on a big Yorkville LS2100 kick at present. Don't know how much the passive boxes are in the U.S.A. but one LS2104 would be all you would need IMO. From my limited experience with the active one, they seemed to be designed to stand alone (although two would certainly be a good thing).

Barring that, one good sub to start and add another later, or two good used if you can find them.

• Members

Anyway, to the OP, I'm on a big Yorkville LS2100 kick at present. they seemed to be designed to stand alone (although two would certainly be a good thing).

Heck,,, don't get me going on that LS2100p. :lol: I've been scouring the net for 6 months, looking for more in-depth reviews on that whopper. :love:

• Members

Or, if you want something a little lighter than the Yorkvilles, try the JBL MPro 418's. I am selling mine for a less than your target price. It includes caster boards for them and I'm local too. PM me if you're interested.

If my post is out of line, please feel free to delete. Don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Johnny

• Members

WOW! Asking for decent subs and have TWO quality pairs offered to you in your general area (I know, it's a big state). Lucky dude. I'd jump on one or the other if I was you. Note: the Undercovers are over $100 new each and the castor boards are worth about $75 each (or more like $100 each if factory) so either is a heckava bargain for your target budget.

Boomerweps

• Members

I guess my LS2100P mini review was too mini for ya, but I could go on and on.

I was delighted to read your mini-review Shaster. I guess what I'm looking for is more of a comparison-review; for example, does the sound of the LS2100p lean more towards the sound of a UCS1p, or the LS801p? I have yet to hear the UCS1p, but from what I gather, it's a tighter, more articulate sounding sub than the LS801p, which I find can be a bit boomy.

I've been VERY impressed with the LS1004 sub as well, and thought about buying a pair to mate with my four EF500pb's. Problem is, I'm also toying with the idea of selling the EF500pb's, and eventually buying a pair of U15pb's. I'd like a sub that can handle that transition; something that would sound good with both of those tops.

32Hz at -3dB for the LS2100p seems mighty impressive.

• Members

does the sound of the LS2100p lean more towards the sound of a UCS1p, or the LS801p? I have yet to hear the UCS1p, but from what I gather, it's a tighter, more articulate sounding sub than the LS801p, which I find can be a bit boomy.

I've been VERY impressed with the LS1004 sub as well, and thought about buying a pair to mate with my four EF500pb's. Problem is, I'm also toying with the idea of selling the EF500pb's, and eventually buying a pair of U15pb's. I'd like a sub that can handle that transition; something that would sound good with both of those tops.

32Hz at -3dB for the LS2100p seems mighty impressive.

According to some of the Yorkville specs (they don't all agree) the LS1004 has the same speaker (Yorkville code #7458) as the LS608, LS808, and the LS908(discontinued).

The LS800P... used a couple of different speakers I believe.

Anyway, in an odd way the LS2100P sounded quite tight for a speaker that size. Remember these subs are not PRO Touring level speakers. You won't find the Clair Bros. switching to the LS2100P's. As a matter of fact, the one I used had rat fur! Not a pro option.

I think where they shine is that they are very easy to use, pretty hard to screw up, and have more than enough useable power for most DJ/bar band set-ups.

I did not find them particularily boomy, but then again, I like boom:)

B1N, you keep saying you're going to ditch your tops, and I keep saying "why?". Going to the U15P's would be a lateral move IMO (different but lateral). I mean I enjoy my U15's but the EF500P's are as good or better, depending on the style of music.

Anyway, if you come across some mad money, and have a hankering for a road trip, go audition/rent a 2100P and see how you like 'em.

Happy subbing.

• Members

B1N, you keep saying you're going to ditch your tops, and I keep saying "why?". Going to the U15P's would be a lateral move IMO (different but lateral). I mean I enjoy my U15's but the EF500P's are as good or better, depending on the style of music.

Yeah, I'm torn there, Shaster. I realize the "lateral move but different", part. For some reason, I simply "believe" that the U15p would be a more appropriate choice for a jazz-band or all-acoustic gigs. Would you say that my "belief" holds water? I have yet to hear these boxes in-the-flesh. I'm thinking the EF500pb's would be better suited to "rock". That Danley designed "summation-aperture horn" on the U15p has me intrigued, and I suspect with the cross-over points being 350 and 1250Hz, that vocal reproduction would be more articulate in the U15p than the EF500s' 2100Hz x-over point. I might be wrong though. What are your thoughts on that?

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=38&id=346

• Members

Yeah, I'm torn there, Shaster. I realize the "lateral move but different", part. For some reason, I simply "believe" that the U15p would be a more appropriate choice for a jazz-band or all-acoustic gigs. Would you say that my "belief" holds water? I have yet to hear these boxes in-the-flesh. I'm thinking the EF500pb's would be better suited to "rock". That Danley designed "summation-aperture horn" on the U15p has me intrigued, and I suspect with the cross-over points being 350 and 1250Hz, that vocal reproduction would be more articulate in the U15p than the EF500s' 2100Hz x-over point. I might be wrong though. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm not sure about the crossover point. The EF508 which is rumored to be the box the EF500P was based on is listed as 2100hz crossover. However the E152 is listed as 1200hz crossover.

When all is said and done they're just numbers. I just heard a stat today; the average North American has one breast and one testicle:) Numbers can be manipulated. They're an okay starting point but your ears, and the unit's performance regarding your needs, have the final say.

The U15's might be smoother than the EF500P's but applying a little EQ either way would probably make the differences very small.

So I guess my point is; if you're playing really nice sounding rooms with really great jazz.... musicians, you may or may not like the U15's over the EF500P's. But if you're playing the average terrible sounding bar with average sounding musicians, I'm not sure it would be worth it to sell one and get the other. YMMV.

• Members

Thanks Mike, Thanks Shaster,

I think I'll give Yorkville a call and clear up that x-over point on the EF500pb's. I've yet to really use those speakers, since I bought them for a future application. If I keep them, I think I'll mate them to the LS1004 subs. I probably won't buy the subs 'til the end of January, so I still have time to think about it.

One concern for me will be getting the tops high enough. The U15p's over the UCS1p's seem not too bad. I haven't checked the dimensions of the LS1004's. The EF500pb's are about 6" shorter than the U15p's as I recall.

• Members

I am wanting to offload my Yorkville LS1004's so I can downsize to save my back, but a little voice somewhere inside me is still telling me to buy a Yorkville 21" sub instead against all my logic and downsizing plans.

It is difficult to hold back some days..........

• Members

I am wanting to offload my Yorkville LS1004's so I can downsize to save my back, but a little voice somewhere inside me is still telling me to buy a Yorkville 21" sub instead against all my logic and downsizing plans.

It is difficult to hold back some days..........

Yep I know the feeling.

I almost walked out of the store today with an LS608. I picked it up to see how hard it was for a one man load. It felt pretty reasonable, so I felt like yelling out to the salesguy to ring it up, and I'd just keep walking out to my car. Not that I actually had the cash budgeted for that purchase.

At least I finally decided against the UCS!P. They're just too big and heavy for me (or my back anyway). Reality bites.

• Members

Thanks guys for all of your input. We decided to go with the Yorkville LS608B's that forumite Audiopyle Sound had for sale. I have to say we are real excited to add these to our system. I also have to give thanks to Mike for bringing them to San Jose for pickup. He delivered them in excellent condition and even helped me load them in my car. Everything was as he promised. We also ended up getting a brand new DBX 223XL crossover from him. Thanks again Mike!!

Archived