Sign in to follow this  
twostone

Strange Feedback experience

Can a crossover create feedback if the caps are going bad ? lately with all the channels muted on my fairly new PreSounus Series 3 mixer I'm getting FOH feedback only. I was told the feedback might be caused by bad capacitors in my Rane crossover. Just wondering if this could be true and possible. 

16 hours ago, twostone said:

Can a crossover create feedback if the caps are going bad ? lately with all the channels muted on my fairly new PreSounus Series 3 mixer I'm getting FOH feedback only. I was told the feedback might be caused by bad capacitors in my Rane crossover. Just wondering if this could be true and possible. 

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you can get feedback with all the channels muted. I'd swap each component out. Change the board, change the crossover, change the speakers. Could you describe the feedback, record it and host it on youtube etc.? Positive its from FOH and not monitors? I've seen mutes that mute the mains but leave the monitor system unmuted...Or check to see if the monitor system/FOH system somehow got swapped around by someone trying to "Help" you ..

Edited by Dookietwo

Yes, feedback can occur in a filter if there is a problem within the filter's electrical feedback loops. There is a fine line between a filet and an oscillator, the higher the Q of  the filter, the closer to an oscillator it can become. Sometimes an intermittent in the sweep pot can cause this, way more likely than a defective cap.

Well Andy that's the problem the filter must have gone bad causing the feedback. I've since replaced my old Rane x-over with new DBX and problem solved. So from what I was told,  it is true that crossovers with bad parts can cause feedback. Although heard it's rare but it does happen. Appreciate your input Andy, and yes it's been awhile since I've been on here and lot has changed since I've been on here. 

On 10/16/2019 at 5:57 AM, Dookietwo said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you can get feedback with all the channels muted. I'd swap each component out. Change the board, change the crossover, change the speakers. Could you describe the feedback, record it and host it on youtube etc.? Positive its from FOH and not monitors? I've seen mutes that mute the mains but leave the monitor system unmuted...Or check to see if the monitor system/FOH system somehow got swapped around by someone trying to "Help" you ..

The monitors were off at the time and was just FOH and as Andy mentioned the filter was the problem. I do have a on screen RTA  with both GEQ or PEQ option to cut for both monitors and FOH. That's why it was strange feedback problem. Normally with my on screen RTA any FB I can identify and kill it on the spot. However that wasn't the case. 

1 hour ago, twostone said:

The monitors were off at the time and was just FOH and as Andy mentioned the filter was the problem. I do have a on screen RTA  with both GEQ or PEQ option to cut for both monitors and FOH. That's why it was strange feedback problem. Normally with my on screen RTA any FB I can identify and kill it on the spot. However that wasn't the case. 

Got it. So it wasn't " Feedback " as in a feedback loop between a microphone and monitor it was some ringing coming out of a damaged unit in a internal feedback loop inside.  I had 3 Peavey Cex5 digital crossovers. Two of them suffered from "Tin Whiskers" Basically the Tin in the solder used to manufacture them was too high. They grew Whiskers and shorted the PC board. When they first started to go they let out a wine sound that got louder and louder. Not fun. Glad you found your issue!     https://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/background/index.htm