What do I lose when I delete cabinets from our practice set up?

• Members

Since I just got a two channel DI from audiopile... I was wondering what the pros/cons would be if I just went direct from the bass head and direct from my Marshall head in our practice studio.

My first pro would be if I did this I could just stack the cabs in a corner and save some space.

Cons...?

• Members

Unless Marshall upgraded their line out and did some radical changes to them I dunno bro? Last Marshall line out I heard sounded like {censored}.

Depending on the bass will determine it's out come? Bass guitars like

Stingrays, Ricks, Warwicks, sound pretty freaking sweet with a fresh set strings DI-ed into a recoding consoles or live mixer.

Best thing to do is try it and see you might love it or you might hate it.

• Members

The direct out on gtr with some eq might lower the rehersal volume enough to make everything else sound better. That alone might be worth it.

May as well strike the PA altogether, and run aux outs from the mix wiz into the headphone amp... and have everyone rehearse with 'phones on.

:idea:

• Members

May as well strike the PA altogether, and run aux outs from the mix wiz into the headphone amp... and have everyone rehearse with 'phones on.

:idea:

This is WAY my idea... but no one else is willing to shell out $100 for decent headphones.

• Members

Just a clarification that the solid-state Marshalls don't need a speaker load to not blow up. Also those with an "emulated line out" do a pretty decent job of sending a signal to the board that sound damn close to what the speaker cab sounds like - or at least the AVT100X I've worked with does.

• Members

This is WAY my idea... but no one else is willing to shell out $100 for decent headphones.

Why on earth would they need to spend $100 each on headphones? There are many servicable headphones available for much less. I have four pair that came included with a $40 Art headphone amp, an old RatShack set that I bought for $5 from a yard sale, and have had several other sets that were under $20 each; all have been usable, most have sounded reasonably good, I actually like the response of the Gear Ones that came with the Art unit. Of course, as always, this is MHO and YMMV.

Archived