Console Cleaning

• Members

How many of you clean your own consoles? If so, what products and processes do you use? We have 4 Allen & Heath consoles and they all are getting pretty dirty and have never been thoroughly cleaned. I am guessing most people clean all of the jacks with DeOxit or something similar, and of course the actualy control surface itself. What about pots and faders?

• Members

Leave them alone if they are not causing you any problems.

Can't effectively clean the pots, the faders need to be disassembled and CAREFULLY cleaned with a q-tip and Caig Deoxit but you really need to be careful with the whole process. Depends on which console too, some of them use ground rail pots and some use the simpler ones. It may be more cost effective to replace.

Don't let the DeOxit get all over the pcbs, the stuff attracts dirt and dust like a magnet causing future problems,

• Members

If I have the parts in stock, I just replace but occassionally, for a part that's not in stock or unavailable, I will disassemble and rebuild. The internal parts are very, very fine (the GBE pots use between 5 and 7 wiper fingers dependin on style) and they are very close together. One slip and you will be replacing anyway.

Just spraying cleaner in the pot opening will wash the grease and damping out of the bushing and the feel will be shot plus the grease will get all over the fine sliding contacts.

Archived