A new power supply from EHX...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Props to EHX for not using the misleading and over used phrase "isolated outputs". The EHX unit is a daisy chain in-a-box, and they say so. Nothing wrong with that as long as you know what you're paying for, and most pedal boards don't need  a true isolated ground power supply. 

Isolated outputs is not the same as isolated ground. 

• Members

Its good it has the extra 18V output if you in fact needed it.  I only have one vintage Rolland pedal that uses 18V. Just about everything else I have runs on 9V with a couple of exceptions which have oddball voltages and require their own supplies. 

I'm not sure a brick like that would actually do any better then the Spot One I use for my 9V stuff.  What you want to compare is the total current the PS can supply.  My Spot1 supplies 1700 Ma  (1.7A) and with the second extension I can run 9 normal pedals without overloading the current.  The footprint is very small too, much less then any brick. 

The other thing is the cable only has one connection to the transformer, the individual wires are daisy chained to the pedals.  With a brick you double the possible trouble by having connections to the brick and pedals.  The benefits of a brick vs Spot one is, the Brick connections allow you to run the individual power wires any place you want.  The spot one has a connector every 6 inches of so.  If you had your pedals spaced in a row and had to skip over one pedals because it uses a different power supply the distance between the DC connectors may not be long enough to make that jump so pedal placement can be less forgiving with the spot one compared to the star configuration of a brick.  

Pedal type can be an issue with the Spot one too. I experienced issues with a noise gate. it didn't like being put on a daisy chain and did some strange things.  Not sure if it would have been better on another multi pedal adaptor but the fix in my case was to isolate the pedal on its own power source.     

• Members

The difference between this type of power supply and the OneSpot daisy chain is the 'tiny box' power supplies do have individually regulated outputs, albeit with a common ground. That should help in those situations where some pedals seem to put noise on the power supply chain, usually high-current draw digital pedals. OneSpot is a switching regulator, I'm guessing these tiny box units use linear voltage regulators. 

Archived