ProDigit

Behringer Oddyssey VS deepmind?

Do you think Behringer's new Oddyssey, will cut some market share of their Deepmind synths?

In what way do they differ from one another, and for what audience in mind are they made?

49 minutes ago, ProDigit said:

Do you think Behringer's new Oddyssey, will cut some market share of their Deepmind synths?

Oh, I suppose they might since they're both analog synths and someone might decide the Odyssey meets their needs better than a DeepMind they were originally considering, although I think it's just as likely a similar number of people (or more) might want to get one of each. While they're both analog synths, they're really kind of different beasts. 

In what way do they differ from one another, and for what audience in mind are they made?

Well, IIRC the DeepMind synths have kind of a Juno-esque layout, and they can store and recall presets / patches, while the Odyssey is, well, an Odyssey - one is an original design, while the other appears to be a pretty dead-on recreation (with a few extras added) of the original ARP Odyssey. However, the biggest difference is their polyphony - the Odyssey is duophonic (two note polyphony) at best (and that's using one of its two VCO's per voice - stack them, and it's monophonic) , while the DeepMind synths come in 6 and 12 voice poly versions. They also have more keys (49 vs. 37), and more envelopes - three ADSRs on the DeepMinds, while the Odyssey has a single ADSR and an AR envelope. Oh, and the DeepMinds are also available in a keyboard-less module format too, while the Behringer Odyssey is currently only offered as a keyboard. 

I'm sure there are some other differences that I'm leaving out, but basically it comes down to what are you looking for - an analog lead / monosynth or an analog polysynth? If you want a lead synth, get the Odyssey, if you want a polysynth, or need to be able to quickly recall all the settings on the synth (IOW, "patches") you'll be more attracted to the DeepMind. Outside of being analog synths, they're really not competing with each other IMO. And again, a lot of keyboardists want to have one of each synth type, and could end up with one of each. 

I've recently purchased the Behringer Model D, which is basically a Minimoog Model D clone without a keyboard (in a Eurorack style case)... and I plan on grabbing a Behringer Pro-1 as soon as they release it, which will have a similar Eurorack-style case. Behringer also released the K-2, which is essentially a clone of the Korg MS-20. All three of those are much more similar synths than the DeepMind / Odyssey are, yet there's still enough differences between them, and they're classic and desirable enough for me to want to get a couple of them. The Odyssey has more similarities with those three Behringer synths than it does with the DeepMinds IMO, and I think it's more likely that someone might decide to get the Model D, the K-2 or the Pro-1 instead of the Odyssey, but it's really no different than guitars and guitarists - typically they'll want a Les Paul, a Strat, and maybe a semi-hollowbody... and keyboardists want an Odyssey, they want a Pro-One, they want a Mini, and they want a MS-20... and Behringer is giving people the opportunity to have access to those classic tools without having to pay the stupid-silly vintage prices for the originals. 

• Thanks 1

They are really different beasts. I'm sure maybe some may decide on the Oddyssey over the DM12. But is more of a clone with added features such as effects. Where the DM12 is a new synth. The Oddyssey is 37 keys and duo-phonic and the filters are clones of the original. The DM12 has 49 keys and is a 12 voice synth. Its filters differ greatly. So the choice is a clone of a vintage synth or new synth with 12 voices , more keys, and and more filters. At their prices, many might choose both. I have a Deep Mind 12, not looking for the Oddyssy but adding a Novation Peak to it is an attractive idea to me.

14 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

The Novation Peak looks very cool.

A Moog clone, at half the price, but still twice to trice the price of Behringer's version.

7 minutes ago, ProDigit said:

A Moog clone, at half the price, but still twice to trice the price of Behringer's version.

I'd say it's a bit more than just a Moog Mini clone... it does have three oscillators, but they're numerically controlled, and have 17 wavetables, so there are more waveform options there. Plus it also has better (or at least more comprehensive) envelopes, as well as onboard effects... plus it's 8 voice polyphonic too.