What's in your tool kit?

• Members

When you haul out all of your equipment for a gig you surely must bring a tool kit. The tool kit can have tools necessary to set things up as well as make on the spot repairs if needed. What do you take with you. Solder gun, screwdrivers, pliers, electricians tape, cresent wrench, socket set, wire strippers, gaffers tape etc. etc??

What is in you "go to" kit??

• Members

Gaff tape, console tape, sharpie, pens/pencils, extension cord w/3 way split, surge strip, talkback mic, 2 XLR cables, ipod cable, instrument cable, 2x TRS > M XLR cables, headphones, 9v/AA/AAA batteries, flashlight, multi-screwdriver, crescent wrench, leatherman, volt-meter, battery checker, solder gun and solder.

Then I add to that kit as I see fit for the gig, if I don't trust the mic selection I may add a couple mics and cables. I always have my laptop with me also. Sometimes I'll bring a small "utility" mixer or a powered speaker in the trunk just to be safe.

All of my usual kit lives in a sort of gym bag with the tape clipped with one of those big rock climbing clips and some tie line so I can clip it to a belt loop and carry it around (habit from my film production days)

Oh and a small legal pad for jotting down input lists and notes

• Members

A leatherman, maglite, soldering iron, cable ties, electrical tape, full assortment of allen wrenches, screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, non-conducting probes, multimeter, AC checker, cable tester, battery charger, headphones, instrument cables, ipod cables, all gear manuals on both laptops (redundancy,) spare discharge bulbs, magnifying glass, signal tracer, and an assortment of software from RFGuru to Spectrafoo Complete. This is in addition to MANY spare parts. I also bring new-in-the-box monitor speaker replacements for my EVs when I use them. Most nights, I have enough tools, gear, parts, left in the trailer and truck to make another complete small PA is I had to wing-it after major disaster (two Bose L1s live in the trailer for nights like that.)

• Members

Screwdriver/drill gun, wire cutter, wire stripper, permanent markers, batteries, rack screws, insert cables, outlet tester, quick change screwdriver & drill bits, air hose chucks, screws, electrical tape, white labeling tape, spare mic clips, crescent wrench, flashlight, pliers, small ratchet set...

• Members

In addition to EVERYTHING mentioned above including hammer and glasses, I bring Whirlwind Q Box, Whirlwind cable tester, Rat Sound Sender/Sniffer, Rat Sound speaker tester, AB Polarity tester, Goldline FD23 feedback detector, NTI MR1 Minirator, SMAART v.6 rig and two laptops (one for SMAART and one to control processor du jour), inclinometer/laser level, laser distance finder.

Dennis

• Members

My trusty Fluke 87, SPL meter, soldering iron, cutters, strippers, screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, adjustable wrench, pliers, Olight LED flashlight, batteries, cable tester, tywraps, gaff and Scotch 33 tape as well as a few XLR,TRS & Speakon connectors and a good collection of adapters. It all packs into a 3 space rack drawer.

• Members

WOW. I didn't mention ibuprofen, but that is my MOST essential extra. Nothing worse than trying to mix when you have a pounding headache. I routinely take two at the start of every show to make sure I DON'T get a headache during the show.

Absolutely... and Immodium in case of bad catering.

• Members

In the toolbox: 2 D cell maglite LED, mini maglite LED, carpentry gloves, soldering iron, multimeter, small and large crescent wrench, leatherman, set of allen keys, screwdrivers, ratchet & sockets, outlet tester, circuit tracer.

In the FOH rack drawer: Headphones, assorted adapters and connectors (incl iPod cables), small spools of wire (red, black, and green), blue and yellow masking tape, black and yellow gaff tape, black green and red electrical tape, drum keys, spare sets of guitar and bass strings, a bunch of "1 free hug" coupons, assorted batteries, zip ties, and CD's.

Also: Earplugs, ibuprofen, immodium, nail clippers, q-tips, condoms, small pack of kleenix, band-aids, gauze, bandage tape, polysporin.

Something usually gets added after every show, because something always comes up that I wasn't quite prepared for.

• Members

Someone suggested a 2 D cell Maglite. Take a look at this.

It fits in your pocket and makes more light, is dimmable and battery life is excellent as well.

I carry one all day, every day, and use about one battery a month,

They sell the CR123A batteries for about a buck a piece.

My maglites are primarily used for hammers or crowd control now.

• Members

Someone suggested a 2 D cell Maglite. Take a look at

I use the mini-mag for all my flashlight needs. I don't want the beam to be all that bright, especially when I'm walking around on stage between sets.

Also, the D cell maglite only really gets used for self-protection... and it does get used.

• Members

I use the mini-mag for all my flashlight needs. I don't want the beam to be all that bright, especially when I'm walking around on stage between sets.

The Olight is dimmable, with 5 brightness levels. Pretty much anyone that has "borrowed" mine has bought one for themselves.

• Members

The Olight is dimmable, with 5 brightness levels. Pretty much anyone that has "borrowed" mine has bought one for themselves.

I've dropped my mini-mag from 50ft in the air... the only visible damage was a dent in the floor. I'm judging the book by the cover here, but that thing doesn't look like it would survive a fall like that (plastic chassis?)... not to mention it's 1/5 the cost... Probably a great tool to have, but I'm just really loyal to the Mag brand.

Between a mag-lite and leatherman, I've got 90% of my tools covered... but I also carry:

Gaff Tape

Full Socket Set

Tool Bag (Hammer, Vise-Grips, Pliers, Hack-Saw, Screwdrivers, etc.)

Soldering Gear

Gaff Tape

Drill

Multi-Meter

Outlet Tester

More Gaff Tape

Probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting

Archived