Help Me Buy A Compressor

• Members

Okay, so I've been paying attention at our band practices, trying to work on a yes or no for purchasing a compressor for our rack. I've come to the conclusion that it is necessary. Our singer is just radically dynamic. Going from whispers to piercing yells.

Also, I'm considering running it on my guitar channel too, as we are a 1 guitar band and I go from full chords to just accenting single notes. In theory a compressor would help lift those notes to fill the void a bit?

Anywho... what make/model do you recommend? Or is there another solution? Or do you just want to talk me out of it?

• Members

The thing with compressors is that when you don't have one and don't really know what they do, you figure you need one to sound better.

Once you've spent the time working with it and have actually learned how compressors work and how to apply them... you realize that you didn't really need them in the first place.

Save your money. Instead of trying to squash your dynamics, embrace them and let your music breathe.

If you absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt need just SOMETHING to waste your money on, then buy a dbx 266xl. Nice little compressors, and they have a dummy mode that will work on it's own to give you "basic" compressor sounds.

• Members

The thing with compressors is that when you don't have one and don't really know what they do, you figure you need one to sound better.

Once you've spent the time working with it and have actually learned how compressors work and how to apply them... you realize that you didn't really need them in the first place.

I'd say that about sums 'em up for live situations... recording (or more accurately; mastering) is a different story

• Members

FWIW, I have recorded vocals with that mic. I also recorded the violin on our album with a Beta52

Dude I want to get back into a recording studio so bad right now. Something tells me we need to write the songs before we record them though...

• Members

Has anyone ever told you that your singer looks like a skinnier version of The California Kid, Urijah Faber?

Nope. But my drummer ran into Uriah at the bread store before practice one day, and said he had to use all restraint to resist knocking Uriah's bread out of his hands and saying, "Whatcha gonna do about it, little man?"

Definitely would make for good story, but it would have sucked to drum in a full body cast.

• Members

Nope. But my drummer ran into Uriah at the bread store before practice one day, and said he had to use all restraint to resist knocking Uriah's bread out of his hands and saying, "Whatcha gonna do about it, little man?"

Definitely would make for good story, but it would have sucked to drum in a full body cast.

HAHAHA. You'd have to have that on camera to even risk it. No sense in getting your ass beat and not getting a bit of fame for it.

Archived