I need some schoolin' on powered speakers

• Members

OK, I'm sound noob who gets most of my learnin' on this forum and so far I gotten smarter the more I read. But I have a question about powered speakers and amplifiers in general.

When some of you discuss powered speakers and amplifiers you mention the term processing as well as a couple of others. My question: Are the amplifiers in powered speakers "intelligent" meaning, do they communicate with devices like DBX Driveracks etc.? I haven't fired up my new new Driverack PA+ but through reading the manual you must select the speakers and amplifiers you are using. Does this mean they talk to each other or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks, this will put me another step closer on my audio journey.

• Members
OK, I'm sound noob who gets most of my learnin' on this forum and so far I gotten smarter the more I read. But I have a question about powered speakers and amplifiers in general.

When some of you discuss powered speakers and amplifiers you mention the term processing as well as a couple of others. My question: Are the amplifiers in powered speakers "intelligent" meaning, do they communicate with devices like DBX Driveracks etc.? I haven't fired up my new new Driverack PA+ but through reading the manual you must select the speakers and amplifiers you are using. Does this mean they talk to each other or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks, this will put me another step closer on my audio journey.

usually, it means they do the same thing as the processing in the Driverack would do otherwise. It is tailor-made to the particular drivers and box.

• Members

A DriveRack PA+ is for passive speakers used w/ external amps. A DriveRack PX is for active speakers.

I don't believe either "talks" to the components that are connected to you. You set the unit for whatever you're using and it figures settings based on info in its internal memory.

Active speakers have all the processing built in meaning an active crossover, low-cut/high-pass filters, peak limiters, etc. Many active subs also have an active crossover built in so you never need an external crossover (but some use one).

I know many folks using active speakers (myself included) but I don't know anyone use the DriveRack PX. I looked at it briefly a while back and since it didn't list my speakers, I wrote it off. I'm not sure it does much more than EQ the speaker system for the room you're in.

• Members

A DriveRack PA+ is for passive speakers used w/ external amps. A DriveRack PX is for active speakers.

I don't believe either "talks" to the components that are connected to you. You set the unit for whatever you're using and it figures settings based on info in its internal memory.

Active speakers have all the processing built in meaning an active crossover, low-cut/high-pass filters, peak limiters, etc. Many active subs also have an active crossover built in so you never need an external crossover (but some use one).

I know many folks using active speakers (myself included) but I don't know anyone use the DriveRack PX. I looked at it briefly a while back and since it didn't list my speakers, I wrote it off. I'm not sure it does much more than EQ the speaker system for the room you're in.

The one thing about the Driverack PX is it has no delay in it. Could have been a nice product if say your powered midhighs had no low cut built in. To use this to take say 100hz and below out of the tops and feed 100hz and below to the subs. But with no way to time align subs and tops its a deal breaker for me. Having auto eq would be no used to me. The limiters in it shouldn't have any use if the powered speakers are processed correctly on their own. I could never figure out why they never included a delay function.

With enough delay it would have been great to use it for some smaller powered speakers as delay lines or delay mains to backline.

Dookietwo

• Members

I've got to say that DBX did a fantastic job of selling their Driveracks, because they let the consumers sell it for them.

Somehow, many people figured that Driveracks would do everything besides clean the dishes. DBX, to the best of my knowledge never really needed to go overboard - we did it for them.

Kind of like an urban legend IMO.

Anyway the Driveracks ARE fantastic pieces of equipment if you need GEQ, PEQ, limiter, crossover, and time delay (not on the PX) in one box - and many folks do.

They also have feedback suppressors that might work for some (but not all), and they do have auto EQ programs that might work for some (but not all).

The PX model was very interesting because they sold it as a powered speaker processor. Unfortunately in most cases with powered speakers the PX is redundant if you already have an EQ and the speakers/subs are manfacturer "matched".

Anyway there's not any "talking" involved unless you consider the sensing part of the feedback suppressor (can't remember DBX's name for it) and/or the RTA auto EQ function.

Again, they are very useful boxes. I have a PX for a simple two way passive system - it was cheaper than buying all the separate components.

• Members

I haven't fired up my new new Driverack PA+ but through reading the manual you must select the speakers and amplifiers you are using.

It's not a "must" to have only the speakers listed in the Driverack. DBX put them there for the convenience of owners of those speakers, but the Driverack parameters are all there to use on anything you have, or in any way that you want.

Hopefully in a constructive way.

The PX model was very interesting because they sold it as a powered speaker processor. Unfortunately in most cases with powered speakers the PX is redundant if you already have an EQ and the speakers/subs are manfacturer "matched".

This is my feeling about the PX as well.

Just looking at MAPs on JBL's MRX and PRX speakers, the powered versions of the 15" two-ways are only $110 more than the unpowered versions! And I don't even see unpowered versions of the new 600 series. That's a compelling argument for powered speakers - if you are shopping JBL anyway.

That pricing just doesn't make any sense unless JBL is trying to slam the door shut on unpowered club speakers. One would think that it would cost them more than $110 for the amps and processing.

• Members

The cost of supporting warranty on unpowered speakers is also a lot higher per dollar of sales. People do all kinds of stupid things to unpowered speakers, including powering them according to marketing recommendations and then damaging them. Most manufacturers have become quite strict at covering such damage.

Archived