A birth year guitar, FINALLY!

badpenguin

• Members

Yes, that's right, I finally got a guitar as old as me, but in MUCH better shape! a 1962 Silvetone/Danelectro 1448 with the the original amp and case!

The guitar has 19 frets on a massive 21 inch scale. A,...  get this... Brazilian rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. All this goodness is attached via 2 screws, to a hollow poplar body topped with Masonite, with vinyl tape on the sides! It doesn't play as bad as you would expect.. Decent action, intonation that is in, for the most part, (Look, it has a stick of rosewood as the bridge, what do you expect?) and has a pleasant tone, but very little in the way of sustain. 

The amp is a Marshall stack killer with 3, yes, count em, 3 watts of tube drive glory! All this rampaging valve goodness is controlled by a single volume knob, and goes thru a bone crushing 5 inch speaker. The tubes are even the original Silvertones! And did I mention that the case is the same black sparkle as the guitar? How hip is that Daddy O?

I think that sometime in the early 60's Johnny Guitar got this as a gift, and after a week or two, discovered it wasn't as easy as the Beatles made it look, and thru it under the bed. Some 30 or so years later, Johnny Jr found it, and made the same discovery as his dad, and thru it back under the bed, only to be rediscovered some time later by Johnny the 3rd who thought to himself, "Hmm, no Floyd, no EMG's and only 6 strings? How am I going to play my Swedish death metal on this piece of crap?" and somehow, made it was down to Florida. Lucky me!!!!

GEDC0809.thumb.JPG.63bdb50646a109daf087757dc4d3570b.JPGGEDC0812.thumb.JPG.b7d171f51f19f2869942ea0b8711d13a.JPGGEDC0811.thumb.JPG.39be0c1603022cbd8c2d23dd21a97584.JPGGEDC0810.thumb.JPG.56bd1ee1fda0f87069c53cb9da1a58b0.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/4/2019 at 7:15 PM, badpenguin said:

Yes, that's right, I finally got a guitar as old as me, but in MUCH better shape! a 1962 Silvetone/Danelectro 1448 with the the original amp and case!

The guitar has 19 frets on a massive 21 inch scale. A,...  get this... Brazilian rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. All this goodness is attached via 2 screws, to a hollow poplar body topped with Masonite, with vinyl tape on the sides! It doesn't play as bad as you would expect.. Decent action, intonation that is in, for the most part, (Look, it has a stick of rosewood as the bridge, what do you expect?) and has a pleasant tone, but very little in the way of sustain. 

The amp is a Marshall stack killer with 3, yes, count em, 3 watts of tube drive glory! All this rampaging valve goodness is controlled by a single volume knob, and goes thru a bone crushing 5 inch speaker. The tubes are even the original Silvertones! And did I mention that the case is the same black sparkle as the guitar? How hip is that Daddy O?

I think that sometime in the early 60's Johnny Guitar got this as a gift, and after a week or two, discovered it wasn't as easy as the Beatles made it look, and thru it under the bed. Some 30 or so years later, Johnny Jr found it, and made the same discovery as his dad, and thru it back under the bed, only to be rediscovered some time later by Johnny the 3rd who thought to himself, "Hmm, no Floyd, no EMG's and only 6 strings? How am I going to play my Swedish death metal on this piece of crap?" and somehow, made it was down to Florida. Lucky me!!!!

GEDC0809.thumb.JPG.63bdb50646a109daf087757dc4d3570b.JPGGEDC0812.thumb.JPG.b7d171f51f19f2869942ea0b8711d13a.JPGGEDC0811.thumb.JPG.39be0c1603022cbd8c2d23dd21a97584.JPGGEDC0810.thumb.JPG.56bd1ee1fda0f87069c53cb9da1a58b0.JPG

Wow !!!!

Lucky Dog, you !!!!

• Members

Congrats!  I'll probably never achieve that since I'm a '57.  They'd either be way too pricey or overpriced "junk" from the day.  I've been tempted to buy the RI 1448, but I bought the other 3 models they recently reissued, so I figured I should pump the breaks.  But indeed, I find something cool and vibey-retro about he 1448 sparkle blacks.

• Members

Next up: speaker mods replacement for stock speaker. I like "direct sound": no tone knob to muddy up the pristine sound... You youngsters have it easy... looking for a 1950 Gibson L6 or something like that. 'Course the older you get, the fewer years you have to amortize the expense over if you're into that sort of rationalizing....

Archived