Recommendations for a powered 10" monitor

• Members

I'm looking for a pair of small 10" monitor speakers, and i'm having trouble making up my mind on what to get. I have prx612 mains currently. I play acoustic music to crowds up to 100 (when I'm lucky). I'm specfically looking for monitors. the following seem to be my options. I'm leaning toward the jbl's. Is that a mistake? I don't care about bass response. I just want good monitoring. I currently have a mackie 1202 vlz3 mixer.

k10 - (I don't like the sound of the k series)

art310a

jbl eon 510

fbt ??

fishman loudbox

Perhaps I should just pickup 2 more prx612s. I

any ideas?

• Members

I'm looking for a pair of small 10" monitor speakers, and i'm having trouble making up my mind on what to get. I have prx612 mains currently. I play acoustic music to crowds up to 100 (when I'm lucky). I'm specfically looking for monitors. the following seem to be my options. I'm leaning toward the jbl's. Is that a mistake? I don't care about bass response. I just want good monitoring. I currently have a mackie 1202 vlz3 mixer.

k10 - (I don't like the sound of the k series)

art310a

jbl eon 510

fbt ??

fishman loudbox

Perhaps I should just pickup 2 more prx612s. I

any ideas?

I would go with more of the same. Will be usefull if you need more FOH at any time.

• Members

I like the idea of redundancy, and the possibility of expanding.

Getting two more PRX612's would allow you to use them as monitors only (coupled with a larger front end) or doubled FOH for certain gigs, and also to have on the gig FOH back-up in case of speaker failure.

• Members

Just to throw some crap into the mix ;>)

I've always wondered how the new baby Behringer monitors sound. Not only do they have them in 10" but I think in 8" powered speakers as well. Fairly cheap to try out but I don't even have that money to throw around ;>(

Boomerweps

Actually I own one of them(8" powered speaker) and use it for just that purpose(monitor) and it works great, has a slightly mid spiked tone that really cuts vocals through the mix nicely.

• Members

mid spiked tone is not what I would consider a "feature" for monitors...

Who called it a feature??

Never fails to amaze me how viscoral and instantly you can get people to jump at even the most slightly positive comment toward a behringer product.

I was describing its tonal characteristics honestly(its an 8" speaker, I'd look like a fool saying it had a nice balanced and transparent tone with even bass response)and how it works for my intended use. As a mostly vocal monitor thats nice and compact.

PS-If you're not one of the knee jerk behringer bashers I apologize, its just something I see an awfull lot around here when the name gets mentioned and at this point I just:rolleyes: whatever, some mechanics just won't deal with even one craftsman tool in thier box, snap-on or its junk. They tend to get a little monotonous after a while.:blah:

• Members

Who called it a feature??

That's what he's getting at. Almost universally for monitors, how much oomph you can get out of them before feedback sets in really determines their performance. So spikes in the response anywhere are considered highly undesirable.

Archived