Recommendations for a Living room setup?

• Members

Can someone recommend a good stereo sound solution for a living room setup. The mixer is already taken care of, I'm just not sure what the best option is for speakers/monitors.

Most PA's seem way overpowered (and bulky) for what we need. Would a midfield monitor be a good solution or should I maybe consider a couple stage monitors? I've thought about just running it through an AV reveiver and some bookshelf speakers but I know that's definitely not ideal.

Thanks,

Kit

• Members

When I practice with my band we use 1 12" floor monitor (or 2 for coverage) and those tiny practice amps. With the karaoke band it's the same tiny amps and a GemSound 8" powered speaker for sequencer playback on the floor. A small mixer by the drummer gives him control of the click (in-ear) and playback and I run my bass thru it too.

• Members

I'd suggest not thinking about Pro Audio and instead look into the upper levels of home entertainment systems.

I'm currently installing a Polk Audio 7.1 system in a clients livingroom that will rock the room and yet be almost totally invisible. The speakers range in cost from $ 129 up to $ 499 for the active sub woofer.

It's the right tool for the job.

• Members

Are you putting on concerts in your living room? My wife would never go for that. Can you explain a little more about what your application is? Is this for band rehearsals, music playback...?

He's right. With managed expectations, a pair of bookshelf speaker can do the trick. I use a pair of B&W DM303 for monitors in a small recording system and knowing what it is and isn't capable of, they do fine most of the time. If I were expecting to entertain a crowd that would be a different situation altogether.

• Members

I use a couple of JBL PRX 512mi's, an A&H 16.2 as well as a few other pieces. A little overkill maybe but it sure sounds good.

My band (duo) practice in my lounge room. I have 2 PRX512m on stands in each corner and the yorkville ls700p sub.

Killer small PA and when its not being used for live music we watch movies on the 50" Plasma through it.

When you hear a movie through it you won't give a sh1t that its not dolby surround cos the experience is a blast.

• Members

My take on it would be to get a SR speaker just because HiFi & Studio monitors are rarely made to take the transients of live music. One slip of hitting the string too hard or a pop from pluging in could kill your expensive speakers.

There are a few exceptions. JBL cabaret 4612 was also sold as a cinema speaker and a studio monitor (the SR version had a higher crossover to protect the horn). If you have a healthy budget, Tannoy makes some SR boxes that sound pretty sweet.

Just some thoughts.

Archived