Fader Lube?

• Members

Just cleaning out my gear from Burning Man, and need some advice...

I used Deoxit F5 on my Faders on the MixWiz, and while the fader travel got much better, the action isn't quite as smooth as I'd like it... Anyone have a good rec for Fader lube that won't attract too much dust & Crap? I'm reluctant to put the heavy grease type in there, when I go back next year it will turn to mud...

Tx,

Todd

• Members

I've been out to Black Rock and I know what that dust is like. It's beyond fine, it's highly alkaline, it's corrosive, it's conductive, and it's airborne so it gets into everything -- in huge quantity.

In short, I hate to say it, but anything with moving parts or sliding contacts that goes out there is never coming back quite the same.

You'll need to remove and disassemble faders to really clean or lube them. At that point, knowing what I do, I'd be likely to just replace them.

• Members

You'll need to remove and disassemble faders to really clean or lube them. At that point, knowing what I do, I'd be likely to just replace them.

Exactly. Cleaner/lube attracts dirt and dust.

Disassembly can go very wrong, anywhere that the cleaner went is going to attract dust. If the faders feel rough, you used WAY WAY too much cleaner, the excess dissolved the lube on the side rails of the housing and made an internal mess.

Replacement.

• Members

I've been out to Black Rock and I know what that dust is like. It's beyond fine, it's highly alkaline, it's corrosive, it's conductive, and it's airborne so it gets into everything -- in huge quantity.

In short, I hate to say it, but anything with moving parts or sliding contacts that goes out there is never coming back quite the same.

Yeah, but there' no point in replacement when this console will be going back out there. so long as the Fader functions, then it stays. That's a sacrifice I make. Been out there for 5 years, so Iaccept the damage as part of what I do and love.

That and replacing 19 faders will likely cost more than the board costs new...

:)

T

• Members

Exactly. Cleaner/lube attracts dirt and dust.

Disassembly can go very wrong, anywhere that the cleaner went is going to attract dust. If the faders feel rough, you used WAY WAY too much cleaner, the excess dissolved the lube on the side rails of the housing and made an internal mess.

Replacement.

Yeah, i think this is what happened... Even the shortest of sprays is too much. Oh well, live & learn. BUt then again, I'm not afraid to open her up... we're a resourceful lot ;)

T

• Members

Yup.

I is learnin' on the fly. That dust is corrosive as all heck, so I got a bit overeager in gettin it out. I'm going to open her up over the weekend and see what can be done. All the Faders are testing OK for the moment tho, so we'll see. They were realyl rough after coming back off the Playa, even though we had it bagged & covered when not in use, that playa just gets everywhere. Had a 1/6" of an inch insode on of my amps. IT's really remarkable how stuff keeps going in those conditions.

Allen & Heath and QSC FTW. Proven performers ;)

• Members

Thought about building yourself an enclosure that you can mix from without exposing your rack gear to dust?

Maybe build a fiberglass box or something? Could probably make something really cool that goes along with the burning man gig, but also functions as a protective space.

• Members

Yes, I've given it thought. Any kind of glass or plastic covering becomes opaque and impossible to see through after about an hour, so it's tough. I had an industrial trashbag over the board for the majority of the time...the damage occured when we mixe through a Dust Strom Fri night... It's jsut the nature of the beast.

THat being said, I am looking for ideas on how to better protect the gear.

T

• Members

Thought about building yourself an enclosure that you can mix from without exposing your rack gear to dust?

Maybe build a fiberglass box or something? Could probably make something really cool that goes along with the burning man gig, but also functions as a protective space.

It just can't be done, at least not practically.

The stuff is airborne, super fine, and it's covering everything, including you.

I made a ventilated enclosure for an LCD projector out of one of those big clear storage containers. Drilled a hole for a power cable and mounted a fan in it sucking through a poly filter, sealed up the lid and holes with silicone caulk.

By a couple days in, it was full of dust.

I've still got some old stuff that has a good deal of dust coating the insides of the enclosed analog VU meters.

• Members

So I opened her up this afternoon...Very easy to do. the Miz Wiz is SUPER easy to deal with in there, and I was able to clean even more dust out of there and see how the faders are attached... They are free from any PC boards and direct Chassis mount... Seems like a very solid design. might make me rethink replacement, especially if I can ge the fader parts. Really easy for a guy with my solder skills.

T

Archived