IK Multimedia UNO Drum

Phil O'Keefe

What? A drum machine in a drummer's forum? :eekphil:

I thought this might be a better place for it than the KSS forum or one of the recording forums. After all, while keyboardists and recording engineers regularly work with drum machines, no one programs them better than a great drummer! :philthumb: Drummers can also use drum machines as sound sources live, and trigger them with MIDI pads, so this really isn't that out of place for this forum, right? 

Anyway, check it out - it's a cool little drum machine. It's a bit of a hybrid, with both analog and PCM sounds on board... 

As always, if you have any questions or comments about the drum machine or the review, please feel free to post them here. 

• Members

I’d be much more interested in an auto bass pedal or a multi-instrumental transposer that works on the fly in real time for any instrument you could dial in...  to each their own, but ive always considered being compared to a clockwork, cymbal bangin” monkey to be insulting...  no matter how fancy the box, no matter how clever the programmer, there’s no way you can convince me that it ever hopes to compare to imagination, inspiration and the creative spontaneity embodied in a human artist...  

• Members

For my money, “programmable” equates to “boring af”...     predictable never lights my fire...   and there’s not even a grace notes difference in the fill at measure 116... ever...   mind numbingly cookie cuttery goodness...  no argument, just different perspective... it’s like my take on Bozzio...    eye candy is nice, it has its place...   impressive gear excites the neophytes...   I get it...  and if you don’t know any better, it’s easy to think that all that  stuff makes you more creative when I find for me, the exact opposite is true...  the more I have to play with, the lazier I become. The same lick can be camouflaged to sound different in a thousand ways...  but it’s still the same tired lick...  speed, sheer volume of notes played or mountains of gear have never impressed me as much as imagination, articulation, and recognition of silence being the most important component of a musical composition.    I remember talking with buddy rich at a drum seminar and some kid got up and had the testicularity to get on his set and play a little solo...  he waited until the kid was donee and then politely excused himself and went back to his kit...  thanked the lad and then sat down and played the kids solo back to him...  with one drumstick...  then picks up the second stick and plays a stone cold crazy solo drumstick on drumstick!    Ive never looked at claves the same way since...  for all the wonderful and convenient paths technology can lead us down, relinquishing the very heart of the music to a glorified mechanical monkey sends me to the next venue in a hurry...  or on to wash my cat...   

Archived