2005 Fender Stage 160 - hum

• Members

What can I do to suppress the loud hum I get with this amp? I have tried the Rocktron noise eliminator and others but the hum persists with my 2007 American Fender Strat on lead channel. Aside from getting another brand/model what can I do? Any thoughts on this. I know it comes with the territory on solid state model pushing 100 watts through two 12 inch speakers...:confused:

• Members

Is it a hum or a hiss?

One thing you could try is plugging your guitar directly into the effects return (power amp in) on the back of the amp to see if you get a better signal to noise ratio.

The problem with those amps is the fact that the volume control is located in the early gain stages so if it is not turned up loud, the noise introduced by the later stages will be loud compared to the sound of your guitar.

A possible solution would be to use a Boss type pedal such as a CS-3 Compressor in the effects loop and turn the output level of the pedal down. This will allow you to turn the volume control of the amplifier up to get a better signal to noise ratio and then use the pedal to turn down the signal AND the noise before it goes back into the power amp.

You may want to experiment with different pedals and with the settings on the pedals - you could even use some other type of compressor but remember that the levels used at this point on those Fender amps is very low which is why there is so much noise.

In this situation you must also remember not to turn the pedal off (bypass) because then you would get the full volume that you have set on the front of the amp and that can be very loud.

• Members

It does not come with the territory.

That particular line of Fender Amps is inherently noisy and it is much worse on the higher powered ones. The OP may be confusing the solid state hiss of the amp with hum - a terminology issue.

The amps are okay at a stage volume where you would want to use a 100 watt amp but in a studio or rehearsal situation, the noise they produce while idling -particularly on the higher gain channels - is a real issue.

They also have a mute switch connected to the input jack so when there is nothing plugged into the amp it seems much quieter. You could plug a grounded phone plug (that would not introduce any external noise) into it and hear just how much noise the amp makes on it's own.

Archived