Skill Acquisition Milestones

gitnoob

• Members

The thing I most love about guitars is that the pursuit is endless.    It's all about the journey.

Playing, of course, but also building.     I've been hoarding nice pieces of wood thinking "one day I'll figure out how to resaw that piece and make a guitar out of it."

I finally got the courage to resaw into thinnnnn stock.     Each of these pieces is about 1/8" thick and will be sanded down even thinner.

koa.jpg

koa.thumb.jpg.e860c88351f4c4e0b23c716bc05630a9.jpg

• Members

It has been said (Maybe by some guy named Somagyi?) that the lighter and thinner a guitar is built, the better it will sound.

I once built a guitar out of .001 inch thick baldered ash (nod to idunno) and toothpicks for braces.

It sounded like a chorus of angels in heaven.  Unfortunately I only got to hear it for about ten minutes tho.  It blew up shortly after I strung it up. Damn near killed me.

Before you ask, no, I didn't get any recordings. Terrible loss to humanity. 😢

• Members
On 9/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, Idunno said:

Cool, but...courage?

Yes, courage.

I've resawn wood before.    Have had issues with drift.   Issues with burn.    Issues with chatter.

So I would normally want a lot more room for error than I had with this cut.    Finally got the saw adjusted for near-perfect cuts.

Next skill to level-up: marquetry.    No hurry, though.

Archived