JBL mrx 512 or Yorkville yx 150 ??

• Members

No, I didn't fiddle with them at all. I was at the store to look at the 21" sub (LS2100p), and there just happened to be a pair of YX15p's parked on top of the subs, so the salesman simply
hooked up a small MP3 player
. It was meant to be a "sub only" demo, so we weren't really interested in what top we were listening to. I couldn't help but notice though, the huge difference between the YX15p and the NX55p in terms of fidelity, articulation,clarity, and overall smoothness.

That small MP3 with possibly very compressed crap files worries me a little - why I always prefer to try speakers out at home in controlled conditions.

I know the YX15Ps sound pretty good (you have to keep their price point in mind) and I've been using them for 3 years - I am pretty fussy about sound quality - and the YX15Ps sound OK to me with very little EQ applied. They do not sound like NX55Ps BUT they are half their price, so that is understandable. Out of the box, they have a pretty flat response (to my ears anyway) and there is no over abundance of bass, mids or highs. Their sound quality is better with a little top and bottom end boost.

The NX55P on the other hand is incredibly full sounding (way too much out of the box IMO) for a PA speaker - and processed. The processing does make it sound like a hi power hi-fi (home stereo) box. This is why the woofer bottoms out easily and limiting them is not hard - especially with modern music. Apply the 100hz filter and you've got a box that will get MUCH louder before limiting. I feel Yorkville should have put a Flat/Boost button so the user could have the choice of having the processing in place or not.

That said, I use only high quality (original CDs OR Mindiscs digitally copied from original CDs) as a source when DJing and testing speakers out AND I don't do much live sound - so when I review a speaker it is with quality pre-recorded music material. (why my expectactions are probably not as high as others with more demanding applications) I would use the NX55P (with 100hz filter applied) before the YX15P for live sound simply because of the YX15Ps lower power and output capability but can see why the YX15P might cut through better in certain situations. The NX55P is a little midrange challenged (or very smooth) - which is what makes it sound so good to most people.

As for the YX15P, they are simply a good value full range solution for smaller occasions, have a great mixer section and are well built. They are now 430$ a piece canadian at L&M - which makes them a great bargain - why I often recommend them. In the end I find the YX15P delivers very good performance, features and build quality for a 430$ box.

I've been using my NX55Ps for over 4 years and I have compared them to the15Ps quite often. They certainly sound different. Very few powered cabs the size of the 55P can put out such deep bass - although it is processed. I figure there is some other eq

• Members

If an entry level product, such as my YX15Ps - sound good for my intended applications (small weddings and parties when I don't want to bring subs) and come with a good warranty from a reputable company - such as Yorkville - and have already paid for themselves 5 times - and can still be sold at half of what I paid (because they were very well taken care of) - then I find these plenty of good reasons to purchase a
quality
entry level product.

Al

Well Al, I think that you are missing what I am saying.

Lets say you bought a pair of speakers for $1000 tax included, used them for 4 years, kept them in good cosmetic condition and used them within their ratings and did not overpower them.

Then sold then for $500....Your cost of ownership was $500.

If I bought those speakers from you and used them for 4 years and was as careful as you, and sold them, my cost of ownership would be different from yours.

If the brand is reputable and that model of speaker was well recognized and sold well, then it is sought after. Sometime over this 8 year period the price tax in may have risen to $1100 or more including taxes.

Based on the very good condition new product selling for 50% of the new purchase price, I could easily get $500 to $550 for the pair.

I have done this many times and my cost of ownership is either zero dollars or I make a profit.

The only thing that you need is to know how to evalute the condition of the equipment and know it's market value.

The new version of the two pair of Adamson MH121.5 sell for $2032 EACH.

I paid 1100 for four of them and I have to replace the compression drivers in two of them. The B&C D-45 diaphram is easily found at $85.00 CDN. I bought two MH121s previously for $500 three years ago. These all came out of the main ballroon at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto and are in great condition.

The MH121.5 has a 3" diaphram and mine have the 2" diaphram they are worth less than the latest version which has the same cab, grill, and woofer.

Even if the estimated cheaper compression driver took the new price down to $1800 per box tax in, their market value for 6 units would be in the order of $5400. 6 MH121.5s new are over $12000.00.

I can tell you now that I will not only own them at no cost, I will sell them for much more than what I paid for them years from now.

Comparing against rental costs is a laymen's method of justification....

Consider trying what I do Al and you can own and use equipment that you normally would not consider owning.

Archived