JBL mrx 512 or Yorkville yx 150 ??

• Members

How do these two speakers compare to each other and what are your opinons of each ? Thanks

I guess it would depend on application and price. If someone was giving you the YX150's used for a steal, and the MRX's were brand new and much much more expensive, than who knows.

I haven't heard the YX150's but the YX15's are okay. Not great but okay. Frankly if I didn't have an EQ... I would rather have a YX15 (step below the YX150) than an E12 (which are better speakers than the YX15). Only because the E12's have frequencies that IMO must be tamed.

So it all depends on your needs and application, price, and so on.

• Members

For sure the MRX512m will beat it. MRX is JBL's mid line and is equal to the Yorkville E12.

The YX stuff is equivalent to JBL's JRX & Eon line.

Hmmm,,,,, that's my initial thought too,,, but the more I think of it,,, I dunno. The YX series is a Canadian designed and engineered product, but imported from the orient. The cabinets are plywood, the 1.4" (1" throat) HF compression drivers are by Celestion. Handles and input plates are metal vs plastic, etc. Probably covered by the same "even if you break it" warranty too.

Our local high-school has a few of the Y series 15" boxes for stage monitors, but they'll often use them for fOH duties for smaller gatherings, and they sound very good. Better than I expected, given the price.

• Members

Hmmm,,,,, that's my initial thought too,,, but the more I think of it,,, I dunno. The YX series is a Canadian designed and engineered product, but imported from the orient. The cabinets are plywood, the 1.4" (1" throat) HF compression drivers are by Celestion. Handles and input plates are metal vs plastic, etc. Probably covered by the same "even if you break it" warranty too.

Our local high-school has a few of the Y series 15" boxes for stage monitors, but they'll often use them for fOH duties for smaller gatherings, and they sound very good. Better than I expected, given the price.

I'm glad more people are getting to listen to the YX series boxes, which are much better than the Performance series they have replaced. The build quality on them is excellent and the components are great too. It might surprise you to learn that the Celestion horn used is the same as in the NX55P. :) I really like the look of my YX15Ps as well as the other YX boxes since they really look like the Elite line - and although I would like a little more output capability from my YX15Ps, they do fine for small to medium DJ jobs.

As for the JBL vs Yorkville, I'm guessing the real world output capability of both boxes will be fairly close regardless of specs, BUT the JBL will probably be nicer sounding overall. Just my gut feeling... I used to own a pair of Performance Y150s (step up from the Y15s with bigger horn and higher power woofer) and they got very, very loud - they just didn't sound very good doing it... :facepalm:

Al

• Members

As for the JBL vs Yorkville, I'm guessing the real world output capability of both boxes will be fairly close regardless of specs, BUT the JBL will probably be nicer sounding overall. Just my gut feeling... I used to own a pair of Performance Y150s (step up from the Y15s with bigger horn and higher power woofer) and they got very, very loud - they just didn't sound very good doing it...
:facepalm:

Al

I dunno Al, I hear a lot of comments on the JRX boxes sounding,,, ummmm,,,, not very good. In fairness, I haven't heard them myself, so I'm not in a position to comment. I just haven't seen any negative comments on the YX series.

Al, I just researched the YX12m monitors , and surprises of surprises, Long & McQuade has 'em priced at $240. :eek: That's better than the US pricing that I've found. Hmmmmm. I'm tempted to try out a pair.:)

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=58&id=381

• Members

How do these two speakers compare to each other and what are your opinons of each ? Thanks

I actually had these head to head during a sound check for a 45 min wedding tracks show that I did on July 10th this year. The Hall was set for 125 ppl with a 25 ft ceiling. Killer acoustics!

I brought my gear in and set it up.....The DJ had the Yorkvilles on stands and told me that since they were there anyway, why don't I just plug into them.

I did and they were OK at best, and not even as smooth as the EV Force monitors that I used for small show mains for over 8 years.

These are NOT E12s or E15s, which I have worked with.

I hooked up my MRX512ms and did almost nothing to the equing.

They sounded amazingly smooth and detailed in comparison.

Like night and day!!

The DJ was in shock and asked if he could play a tune from his laptop through my mixer.

I let him and his reaction was "Holy {censored}!! What are those?"

He was playing Nelly's Hot in Here! It sounded awesome according to him.

I gave him the model numbers.

The Yorkville entry level boxes are just not in the same league.

The MRX512m is a great speaker! Lighter,smoother, great power handling. I feed them with amps providing 400 to 550 rms each.

I bought them used and I just love them for the money!

• Members

I actually had these head to head during a sound check for a 45 min wedding tracks show that I did on July 10th this year. The Hall was set for 125 ppl with a 25 ft ceiling. Killer acoustics!

I brought my gear in and set it up.....The DJ had the Yorkvilles on stands and told me that since they were there anyway, why don't I just plug into them.

I did and they were OK at best, and not even as smooth as the EV Force monitors that I used for small show mains for over 8 years.

These are NOT E12s or E15s, which I have worked with.

I hooked up my MRX512ms and did almost nothing to the equing.

They sounded amazingly smooth and detailed in comparison.

Like night and day!!

The DJ was in shock and asked if he could play a tune from his laptop through my mixer.

I let him and his reaction was "Holy {censored}!! What are those?"

He was playing Nelly's Hot in Here! It sounded awesome according to him.

I gave him the model numbers.

The Yorkville entry level boxes are just not in the same league.

The MRX512m is a great speaker! Lighter,smoother, great power handling. I feed them with amps providing 400 to 550 rms each.

I bought them used and I just love them for the money!

Were the Yorkvilles the DJ was using the YX15s or YX150s? To be fair, the JBLs should sound better as they are about 2X the price if I'm not mistaken...

Al

• Members

I dunno Al, I hear a lot of comments on the
JRX boxes
sounding,,, ummmm,,,, not very good. In fairness, I haven't heard them myself, so I'm not in a position to comment. I just haven't seen any negative comments on the YX series.

Al, I just researched the YX12m monitors , and surprises of surprises, Long & McQuade has 'em priced at $240.
:eek:
That's better than the US pricing that I've found. Hmmmmm. I'm tempted to try out a pair.
:)

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=58&id=381

The OP is talking about MRX cabs.

• Members

Were the Yorkvilles the DJ was using the YX15s or YX150s? To be fair, the JBLs should sound better as they are about 2X the price if I'm not mistaken...

Al

They were YX15s and I bought the pair of MRX512ms used for $600 CDN or about $540 US at the time of purchase with the exchange and cost of changeover factored in.

You cannot possinbly consider that a speaker rated 150rms/300 program/600 peak weighing 45 lbs with a max peak SPL output of 124 db to compete with anything else other than entry level speakers. You are not going to do much with mains like that without subs. My EV Force monitors that I have had for 8 years have similar numbers but weigh 28 lbs each. I paid $700 US for four of them, and a pair work well for over 100 small shows used with a sub or two.

But you are not even going to get close to mid grade speakers with anything entry level.

New entry level product is not worth buying at any price since it depreciates to be worth next to nothing since it has limited ability and every noobie who buys this type of gear usually figures out sooner or later that it just will not do the job.

The used market is flooded with lots of this kind of gear that does not sell in a hurry.

Put a set of MRX512ms or EV SX300s out there at 50 cents on the dollar and it is gone in a flash. They are $1840 CDN a pair new including sales tax.

Those are the perks of Craigslist or Kijiji in Toronto and really knowing your way arround speakers. Like a fisherman you learn to be always alert and very patient when buying in the used marketplace.;)

There is never a good reason to buy entry level gear.

Buy once, Cry once....or learn to be very crafty in the used market place and you will......

Laugh when you buy it....

Snicker when you use it...

And Smile when you sell it.....often for more than what you paid for it.;)

• Members

But you are not even going to get close to mid grade speakers with anything entry level.

New entry level product is not worth buying at any price since it depreciates to be worth next to nothing since it has limited ability and every noobie who buys this type of gear usually figures out sooner or later that it just will not do the job.

If an entry level product, such as my YX15Ps - sound good for my intended applications (small weddings and parties when I don't want to bring subs) and come with a good warranty from a reputable company - such as Yorkville - and have already paid for themselves 5 times - and can still be sold at half of what I paid (because they were very well taken care of) - then I find these plenty of good reasons to purchase a quality entry level product.

Al

• Members

I consider the YX line a little above true entry level.

I know a band that's been using a pair of YX15's every Sunday at a jam, for a couple of years. In my estimation, had these speakers been terrible either the jam would have ended or the band would have replaced them.

Gemini, Harbinger, Nady, certain Kustoms... these seem to be entry level to the point that they often are disposable.

BTW I bought my YX15P's for just under $400 each slightly used and sold them for $580 for the pair (to a store). I had used them for a year as monitors and such, not a bad rental rate.

Now if we're talking about the original "Y" series - hoo boy was that ever entry level (most of it). Tough though, the "Y" series stuff is still all over the used marketplace.

• Members

I consider the YX line a little above true entry level.

I know a band that's been using a pair of YX15's every Sunday at a jam, for a couple of years. In my estimation, had these speakers been terrible either the jam would have ended or the band would have replaced them.

Gemini, Harbinger, Nady, certain Kustoms... these seem to be entry level to the point that they often are disposable.

BTW I bought my YX15P's for just under $400 each slightly used and sold them for $580 for the pair (to a store). I had used them for a year as monitors and such, not a bad rental rate.

Now if we're talking about the original "Y" series - hoo boy was that ever entry level (most of it). Tough though, the "Y" series stuff is still all over the used marketplace.

Entry Level Gear is JRX, EV Force, Peavey PV Series, Community MVP series, Yorkville YX series are entry level gear. Some better than others, but for the most part nothing terrible in the bunch. Not great, but some of it just OK, some a little lesser.

Who said anything about them being terrible? They just don't stack up to mid grade gear. The same as my MRX512Ms don't stack up to my Adamson MH121s, which sold for over $1600 a box and now sell for just over $2000 per box. It is simply in another class. I paid $300 per box for three pair.

Business is not about how something compares to a rental cost, it is about profit and loss....nothing else. It is either logical or illogical.

This stuff is not entry level quality product. It is just JUNK!

Slightly used at $800? What do they sell for tax included new? If it was not $1600, then you paid too much.

That is business, pure and simple. Anything otherwise is just emotional justification for a purchase that is less than shrewd, in terms of Business sense.

If the cost new was less than twice $580 or $1160, then the store is not business savy either. If the cost new was less than $1160, then you did OK on the sale end of it. Anything more than 50% is a bonus.

• Members

I guess the rest of your band has to get quality to understand quality. I bought 4 Kustom monitors cause they were $50 or so on sale at the time, was really broke and needed something. They worked but I was upgrading a lot of stuff that was just old junk or Berhringer that I wanted to get away from. I took the hit on almost 85% of the PA, I had another guy helping out here & there. I finally said the Kustoms were shot and we needed new monitors. I sold them to another band for what I paid for them since the price was a lot higher by then. I gave the rest of the band a list of good options for new monitors and said that no one has to buy everything, just buy your own monitor... but people are cheap. They went out and bought the same Kustoms I had sold but brand new. They didn't get it. I got some EV's since I had already bought EV's for FOH and I'm not sharing.

They are getting what they paid for though.

• Members

Entry Level Gear is JRX, EV Force, Peavey PV Series, Community MVP series, Yorkville YX series are entry level gear. Some better than others, but for the most part nothing terrible in the bunch. Not great, but some of it just OK, some a little lesser.

1. Business is not about how something compares to a rental cost, it is about profit and loss....nothing else. It is either logical or illogical.

This stuff is not entry level quality product. It is just JUNK!

2. Slightly used at $800? What do they sell for tax included new? If it was not $1600, then you paid too much.

3. That is business, pure and simple. Anything otherwise is just emotional justification for a purchase that is less than shrewd, in terms of Business sense.

4. If the cost new was less than twice $580 or $1160, then the store is not business savy either. If the cost new was less than $1160, then you did OK on the sale end of it. Anything more than 50% is a bonus.

Let's see now.

1. To me business is about all costs, comparisons and trade offs. If I need a certain brand of speaker at a certain price point for a year, say the YX15P, I can either decide to buy it and then sell it at the end of the year or if I'm in a big enough market I can rent it everytime I need it (which is what many people do around my parts).

It was much cheaper (and more time efficient, thus cost saving) to buy the speakers, use them approximately thirty times and then sell them for a technical paper loss of $220.00. Keep in mind renting would have cost me about $600.00 before vehicle expenses.

And when you consider that I made $1200.00 gross just from those boxes (I break every speaker's, sub's, mic's, rental rate right down), it is not at all illogical to compare the cost of renting, to the cost of buying. Businesses do that all the time! So before income taxes I grossed $980 instead of shelling out over $600.00 in rent.

2. Yes the speakers were slightly used but I wrangled a one year warranty. At the time the speakers would have cost maybe $1000.00 tax in, versus my $800.00 tax in (it was just under $800.00). So I saved $200.00 off new with the same warranty - that's not too much to pay in my book.

3. To many here it's not always about business. In fact if we all checked our ROI, I wouldn't be surprised if many found that it's actually a hobby. I've got well over $15K in my main system at new prices, but how I make it work for me is to buy at discounted prices. Although I provide sound, I do so in the context of a week-end warrior. As long as it's not costing me money, I'm relatively happy. Now if I was a full time sound provider I might be more uptight.

4. I sold the YX15P's because I changed my set-up AND found a used pair of NX350's for just under $400.00. They're normally more than twice that maybe over$1000.00 new including taxes. Got a three month warranty on the used NX350's. Shrewd enough for me.

BTW the store put the YX15P's into rental stock. They'll make some nice cash renting them out, and then sell them at a suitable price somewhere down the road. Because of the changes in the Canadian dollar we all made out okay.

Anyway the OP never did answer my questions regarding use, time constraints, budget.... that could be a factor in the decision making process.

• Members

3. To many here it's not always about business. In fact if we all checked our ROI, I wouldn't be surprised if many found that it's actually a hobby. I've got well over $15K in my main system at new prices, but how I make it work for me is to buy at discounted prices. Although I provide sound, I do so in the context of a week-end warrior. As long as it's not costing me money, I'm relatively happy. Now if I was a full time sound provider I might be more uptight.

Amen. :thu::)

Sometimes, ROI need only be measured by the width of the grin on your face. I'm having a blast learning about something new, and sharing this interest with friends who would never otherwise have access to this level of gear. In many instances, the gear has proven to be a motivating factor for more frequent get-togethers, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying a music-filled retirement.

• Members

All good info guys. Thanks. To answer a few of the questions, I am looking to get a smaller set of speakers ( previous post ) to use as a solo gig or a duo/trio. Something that would cover say 75 people or so in a small bar. I play an acoustic guitar and EQ in a little more bass than most so I am thinking I would like to stay with a 15" speaker. I am however open to the 12" possibility if I felt it sounded full enough.

Right now I have a pair of new Peavey SP2's that I really like. They sound great when they are turned up but they are heavy and sometimes just overkill for where I am playing. At the lower volumes, the SP2's lose some of there "full sound" and start to sound a little harsh.

So, I have been thinking about getting a smaller set of speakers for the smaller venues that I play, and just using my SP2's for the larger ones. The JBL mrx 515 or possibly the 512 are a top consideration right now, but they are pretty pricey for my budget at this time. I am not opposed to saving up to buy the better speaker if I know that I will be happy in the long run. I am just trying to figure out all my possibilities at the moment.

I appreciate all of everyone's advice. Keep it coming !

• Members

Looking at new prices, the MRX line seems very close in price to the PRX line. Is it just the unpowered version of the PRX line?

Harmony Cat wrote:

The used market is flooded with lots of this kind of gear that does not sell in a hurry.

I realize this is one persons opinion, but the notion of entry versus mid-grade equipment is obviously a hot topic for those of us looking for "value" buys, and whether its worth it or not.

In a recent thread there was positive mention (for the price) of the Wharfedale Titan 12 Active and the Proel Flash. I realize these are not passive, and they seem to straddle the line price wise between entry and mid-grade. Without going all the way to mid-grade, are these worthy of consideration?

• Members

Well, I inadvertently ended up listening to a pair of YX15p's today. Hmmmm,,,,, let's just say,,, they're not for me. :) Granted, these speakers were from the stores' rental stock, so they may have had the snot run out of them,,, but as it was, I felt they didn't remotely hold a candle to the NX55p. Totally different league, in every way imaginable.

• Members

Well, I inadvertently ended up listening to a pair of YX15p's today. Hmmmm,,,,, let's just say,,, they're not for me.
:)
Granted, these speakers were from the stores' rental stock, so they may have had the snot run out of them,,, but as it was, I felt they didn't remotely hold a candle to the NX55p. Totally different league, in every way imaginable.

The NX55's sound good right out of the box. I've found that the YX15P's have to be EQ'd a fair bit or the high mid stuff gets unpleasant. and you can't always get rid of the slight shrill. Did you play with the tone controls. These make a fairly big difference - mid down or almost out, sometimes the bass at one o'clock (plus) and so on.

My singer actually preferred the YX15P's over the NX55P's (as monitors only) because I could get the YX15P's to sound louder. Not get louder but sound louder.

Sometimes the NX55p's are too smooth, if there is such a thing.

No question the 55P's get the hi-fi nod though. The YX15P's are what they are, whatever that is to the individual.

Glad you got to try them out, I was kind of wondering about your interest in the YX12's when you've got EF500P's and NX55P's - don't know that the YX12's would be a good fit.

• Members

No, I didn't fiddle with them at all. I was at the store to look at the 21" sub (LS2100p), and there just happened to be a pair of YX15p's parked on top of the subs, so the salesman simply hooked up a small MP3 player. It was meant to be a "sub only" demo, so we weren't really interested in what top we were listening to. I couldn't help but notice though, the huge difference between the YX15p and the NX55p in terms of fidelity, articulation,clarity, and overall smoothness.

Archived