On Bucket-List guitars

Glenn F

• Members

We can agree to disagree on the Martins. My OM-21 is my 'run back into a burning flat' guitar. My D-28 is starting to open up, a phenomenon I am highly skeptical about, but, nevertheless, seems to be happening. Both these guitars have the Martin magic, both have been set up perfectly for me, both for strumming and fingerpicking, without buzz or fretting out. My 000-M has some of that magic as well, as it clearly sounds like  Martin, and is also amazingly setup.

But I've seen a few less then stellar Martins, and I think the D-18 I had in my possession for 24 hrs was one of them. It was lighter than my D-28, which seems a tad overbuilt, but even with the light build and scalloped bracing, it had no 'oomph.'  I am glad that I got to try one. It's put me off the D-18 as my last 'bucket-list' guitar. My wife is pleased on that acc't.

• Members

The only D-35 I ever got to try, about 10 years ago, now, is probably the most 'cannon-esque' Martin I've ever played. Should've snapped it up, in retrospect. You could feel that guitar in your ribcage. It completely stunned me. I never knew an acoustic guitar could sound/feel like that.

the Eastman, is similar. The bass is surprising, I can feel it in my ribcage, and the sound goes to 11. Gentle strumming fills a room with sound, and it is a beautiful tone.

I was hasty in sending it back after the setup because the 30 day return window was closing. So, now I'll get it back with my hands somewhat back in playing shape.

I still stand by my recommendation of the E10OM. It is a great guitar—as long as you aren't bothered by the string-spacing or fret height too much. I mean, it just clobbered a Martin @2x the price.

• Members

I have one of them. That Larrivee that arrived on my doorstep 13 years ago has filled a niche nicely. I have to admit that it’s not showroom quality anymore but it sings to my ears and feels alive in my hands and that’s all that matters. I have many fond memories of playing it and they outweigh the shock and shame when it suffers every ding, drop and occasional kabong. 

That being said, I still yearn for a Martin HD-35. I know that factory guitars are hit or miss though so I’m content for now. 

On another note, I’ve devrloped an appreciation for custom built guitars by independent luthiers and have a particular love for Tim McKnight’s work. My dream is to pick up the phone one day and say to him “remember that grand auditorium you made several years ago that had an Adi top and ebony back and sides? Could you make something that sounds similar to that?” 

In the meantime, I’m content to tinker being inspired by the likes of Tim and our own Freeman Keller - with nods to James Olson, Ervin Somogyi, and their ilk whose works I could never dream to recreate in my basement. There’s something oddly satisfying about whittling away at all the different beautiful woods and understanding the thoughts that go into building something that has a purpose. 

• Members

The only guitars, at this point, that would make any kind of bucket-list would all be post-lotto win gits, like a Lowden or Collings. I have an embassassment of riches with my collection. I just mostly need motivation to keep progressing as a guitarist, something that I'm finding harder and harder to do.

I'm happy the D-18 didn't work out. Now I can stop muttering it under my breath when I get into one of my 'moods.'

• Members

Guilds haven't really done it for me, but I've only ever played 1 'real' one, a D55, and that was 42 years ago. The Pac-Rim Guilds I've tried ranged from ok to meh.

An interesting angle would also be 'what do I do when my BL guitar completely underwhelms me?' There's still some niggle in my brain that the D-18 I had was a 'Monday guitar,' and I just need to try a few more before I find one that sounds and plays well enough to be worthy of the headstock.  My wife would divorce me if I tried to tread down that path. The Eastman OM completely outclassed the Martin dread. Get it back tomorrow, if I'm lucky.

• Members
5 hours ago, Glenn F said:

There's still some niggle in my brain that the D-18 I had was a 'Monday guitar,' and I just need to try a few more before I find one that sounds and plays well enough to be worthy of the headstock.  

Nah. If they vary that much there is something wrong - either with the manufacturing process / quality control or your ears. Perhaps you have "Monday" ears? Or perhaps I have "Monday" ears because I've never heard anything special in a Martin

. . . The Eastman OM completely outclassed the Martin dread. Get it back tomorrow, if I'm lucky. . . .

:thu: Enjoy.

• Members
On 9/23/2019 at 9:26 AM, Glenn F said:

I have wanted a Martin D-18 for the last number of years, but their prices jumped around €500 a few years ago, which put it out or range for me.

Until now. The shop I bought the Eastman from has just got a 2016 'Centennial' D-18 in, in very good condition. With the money I've already laid out, + my Taylor 320, I will have the D-18, the last one on my bucket list. If it is as good as my OM-21, and D-28, I'll be truly in Geet-ar heaven.

So, anyone have a nice guitar or 5 on their bucket list?

Well thanks a lot !

This thread has resulted in an acute case of GAS.  I'm out of control ,gathering parts and planning . Bad news "it's electric" 

I was quite content until you went and stirred up  my GAS

A tour through the Martin factory and museum  did have me wanting a Martin but looking at the price of what I want and balancing it against my talent, the Martin remains a dream for someday . 

• Members

Too bad we aren't close, Glenn.   I would love to have you play my old D18.   Even tho its from the "over built" era of Martin's history it is still a pretty incredible guitar.    I don't play it and keep thinking I should sell it but I think my kid has his eye on it after I'm gone from this world.  

• Members

I'd love that too, Freeman. As long as your son doesn't do anything to hasten the process. I really was very disappointed with the one I tried. The only reason why I'd even pay $500 for it would be unethical. And now, a couple of other units have shown up at the shop, and I am trying not to second-guess my fifth-guess decision. I would've had to give up my Taylor 320 to do the deal, as well. The Taylor is a superior guitar to that D-18.

Meanwhile, I am getting re-acquainted with my collection, and getting myself back up to scratch. Very strange to not play so often (other than a few minutes noodling) and to see my skill seriously degraded. I have to let that be a lesson to me. Use it or lose it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/15/2019 at 12:00 PM, SteinbergerHack said:

For me, the only real bucket list acoustics are:

Maton Messiah

Taylor K66CE 12-string

I have a Taylor 814CE that I really, really like, and I'm into playing far more than collecting.

I'll give you credit for having a 12 string on the list. I don't know that particular model but a Taylor 12 string is on my list. I like the larger -58s though and haven't really been able to get on board the koa fan bus.

• Members
1 hour ago, kwakatak said:

I'll give you credit for having a 12 string on the list. I don't know that particular model but a Taylor 12 string is on my list. I like the larger -58s though and haven't really been able to get on board the koa fan bus.

This is the K66CE.  I played one a few weeks ago, and it is an outstanding instrument.  Koa really works nicely for this particular application, IMO.

spacer.png

Archived