the world of digital boards and processors, and the world of blindness

• Members

Guess I hadn't thought about a blind audio engineer before. But it reminds me of a golf book by Rick Reilly "Who's Your Caddy?", which I highly recommend, even if you're not a golfer, the humor is good. An absolutely hilarious book about this guy caddying for all kinds of famous people. The last chapter is about him caddying for the president of the U.S. Blind Golfers Association. It was amazing to read about how well a blind golfer can play and the unique skills they bring to the game.

John

• Members

A good friend of mine works for a local radio station as their eng. and he is blind. I help him from time to time but he does it all blind. Wiring, soldering,(yes) and working on the transmitters. He has the first edition 01v and I went through it with him while he recorded what I said. His mixes are great. So yes it can be done. He plays keyboard,guitar in a band as well.

Dookietwo

• Members

i find it hard to believe a totally blind person can ride a motorcycle..can you explain how this works? you couldnt really hear your surroundings over the engine, and even if you could..how do you go between cars etc etc..

Soldering i've never tried but i'd guess a good stationary table would be benificial..but doing xlrs i wonder if it'd be sloppy o that the pins get crossed? You could over solder then feel how much extra you did..then grind out what you dont want..but seems like tedium.

not saying these things cant be done but even asa blind person i'm crious as to how they can be done.

• Members

It was amazing to read about how well a blind golfer can play and the unique skills they bring to the game.

John

I worked with a blind golfer for a few years back when I was in high school, again all it took was a little assistance and good descriptive skills. He was a heck of an athlete too, ran in the Boston Marathon and finished early in the field... used to sky dive until an unfortunate (but fairly minor) acccident.

• CMS Author

i find it hard to believe a totally blind person can ride a motorcycle..can you explain how this works? you couldnt really hear your surroundings over the engine, and even if you could..how do you go between cars etc etc..

As far as I know, he's never ridden on the road. He road out in a big field. He'd stop every so often, and his friend would yell to him where he was in relation to the borders. Or he'd ride with the friend, who'd tell him if he had an absolute turn ahead. The guy seemed pretty damned fearless to me.

Same thing with his boating; his friend would ride with him and tell him if he needed to turn to avoid anything. From accounts by both it sounded like they had a blast!

• Members

Radio communication is common when doing athletic persuits with the blind.

Went out last night with my blind friend and while loping the horses along the trail, his horse began to speed up pull away from me in a pretty handy gallop. No need for fear, with adequate riding tools and training for both the horse and rider it's no more dangerous than for any other rider at the same riding level. Yes, he also had a blast too.

• Members

That's awesome Andy. Good of you to help out your blind friend and great of him to not let his disability not be a disability. I love hearing about those with great physical challenges who absolutely refuse to be defined by their impairments.

• Members

I read about a sort-of famous blind piano tuner - he could tell what make/model parked cars were by the reflected sound when he walked past, and he could even ride a bicycle in traffic - he would make a little clicking sound with his voice and listen to the echoes.

Reminds me of something that happened while skiing a few years ago. I ran into whiteout conditions, and aside from the boundary markers on the ski run couldn't see anything. I had to rely on technique to feel the slope and to be as correct in my technique as possible so I'd be in an OK position no matter what I ran into. Very weird feeling.

spottyaudio, what kind of mass-market physical display devices are out there for blind people? I'm thinking in terms of immediate feedback, not like things that can "show" braille or present a dummy robot hand for signing. A long time ago I was mulling over how to have a flat device as a "mouse", maybe with some kind of hairs that would sense movement. Not much later the trackpad came out, which ("duh" moment) just tracked changes in position to get movement. Something like that, a way to immediately map information into something that can be felt.

• Members

One thing I can attest to, as being only paritally blind... but if I put the right glasses on I can see perfectly well... being:

If a tool is difficult for a vision impared person to use, I'll suggest that tool will also offer challenges for the non vision impared user to manipulate well when operating during a blind panic.

• Members

Reminds me of something that happened while skiing a few years ago. I ran into whiteout conditions, and aside from the boundary markers on the ski run couldn't see anything. I had to rely on technique to feel the slope and to be as correct in my technique as possible so I'd be in an OK position no matter what I ran into. Very weird feeling.

Tried riding with a blindfold a few times, same feeling.

• Members

well, if we're not talking about road going excursions..that makes a whole lot more sense..i've driven my friends transam on an airport runway while he watched the laptop telemetry..found out that ones a felony.

I love to jetski, its exilarating!

Skiing wasnt all that hard but it wasnt as fun as i'd thought it would be..there was a foundation for the blind weekend getaway to teach us how to ski.

I dont usually let my lack of vission stop me from doing anything, i bus it places, i like to go and explore new places, and its great fun listening to the reaction of peoplle around you when you make a bit of a wrong turn..like going through the tables as opposed to around them..obvious to a sited person but i just go where there seems to be less ambient noise/reflections and that usually works nicely.

• Members

like going through the tables as opposed to around them..obvious to a sited person but i just go where there seems to be less ambient noise/reflections and that usually works nicely.

Works especially well walking through a group of women too... excuse me, excuse me etc. ;)

Archived