Sidechain eq/comp

• Members

So not only have I been playing around with the drums/mics/gates (see other thread) but I've also been experimenting with sidechain eq off the compressor. This is some pretty cool stuff! Picked up a Rane Me15B and ran two vocal channel sidechains (comp) off the ACP88, one to each channel of the EQ. Pretty neat! Now (here it comes), I have questions...

1. Before I plugged in the EQ to the sidechain comp key insert on the 88, the leds activated on the 88 (i.e. under/over threshold lights and the dB lights indicating signal). When plugged into the EQ (all frequencies at unity - detented to the center), the lights don't function or it requires overmodulation into the mic to get the over/under lights to activate. BUT, the signal is much louder (i.e. I can get greater GBF) out of the channel - a LOT more.

2. When speaking into the mic and fiddling with the frequency slides on the EQ, there is no change in the frequency of my voice - just louder and seems "cleaner". Should I hear a difference when a frequency is increased or pulled out? Or does just the comp recognize the change, then process the whole signal with emphasis on the increased frequencies?

Lastly, yes, I tried to reverse the plugs to see if that made a difference. I have it hooked up correctly! :facepalm::p:lol:

Stix

• Members

1. Before I plugged in the EQ to the sidechain comp key insert on the 88, the leds activated on the 88 (i.e. under/over threshold lights and the dB lights indicating signal). When plugged into the EQ (all frequencies at unity - detented to the center), the lights don't function or it requires overmodulation into the mic to get the over/under lights to activate. BUT, the signal is much louder (i.e. I can get greater GBF) out of the channel - a LOT more.

something is wrong. are you sure you have in and out hooked up right?

2. When speaking into the mic and fiddling with the frequency slides on the EQ, there is no change in the frequency of my voice - just louder and seems "cleaner". Should I hear a difference when a frequency is increased or pulled out? Or does just the comp recognize the change, then process the whole signal with emphasis on the increased frequencies?

the sidechain eq wont change the sound of your signal. you will never hear any freq changes from this eq hooked up sidechain. think of a de-esser or a de-plosive unit. the sidechain eq specifies which freqs/freq bands trigger the compression. that is all.

sidechain comp is usually only used for de-essing or de plosive(ing). it can be used for other things but those are the two main things. you could also duck for instance a bass guitar with a kick drum, or background vox with foreground vox. i could go on.

honestly (and bluntly) at the level of gear you are using you dont really need to sidechain compress unless you have an actual problem that can be helped from this technique.

but go ahead and play around with it, maybe you can come up with something cool.

• Members

Can sidechain comping help with limiting feedback with a female vocalist that has poor mic technique and poor "singing" technique i.e. sings from her throat (vs her diaphragm) when she needs to reach for a note? She also doesn't project well so, until she corrects these problems, we're always going to be battling GBF. She is working on it by seeing a voice coach so this may be a short term problem. She is a great entertainer and has great looks and we do like her voice when she "sings". Just got to get to that level consistently!

• Members

no, not really. you'd be better off using the eq in between the aux send and the monitor amp to help with GBF.

sorry, in my last post i added some things that arent sidechain eq, but general sidechain. i was thinking sidechain compression in general rather than specifically sidechain compression with eq.

Archived