Prehistoric 18"Grund Cabs-Any Advice?

• Members

I have 4-18 inch Grund Audio Design single scoop cabinets that weigh a ton.I bought them empty and was told that they used to have 1000 watt either B&C or RCF drivers in them. I cant remember which.Dimensions are Height 48" width24" Depth 30".At first I was looking at some Eminence Killomax. Then I talked to a guy named Al at US Speaker and he said they would not work.The drivers that he recommended were made by Faitel.They were 1500 watts each and if I bought 4 he would give me a deal for $450 each! I havent loaded them yet because for 1 im not sure if it was a sales pitch and 2 I was recently laid off.He seemed very knowledgeable and honest but im not in a hurry so im checking out my options.Prefer a cheaper option but I want to do the right thing.The Omega Pro looked tempting at least price wise?Problem is (I Think)I have a couple of RMX 2450 & a Crown CTS2000 to use for power.The 2450 or both I could run 4 ohm drivers at 750 watts per side with amp in parallel mode.I have never ran drivers under powered and read this is not good?The CTS is 1000 watts at 8 or 4 ohms,I dont think that would be an issue.The other problem is I am not sure if the Omega are the way to go? Bottom line im looking for expert advice and any other options that anyone might have?These cabinets are in great shape and I got all 4 for $300.00 if your wondering why I even bought them.Oh I was also employed at the time to!Thanks in advance for any Brainstorming and recommendations on this one!

• Members

You should never underpower your subs unless you want them to last more than a couple months ;).

Scoops kinda suck which is why you don't see a lot. They don't do a good job of controlling excursion so a driver with a big xmax is a good idea. I'd load them up with Peavey Low Riders:

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/117174/18

More xmax than the Omega Pros and they are a whole lot easier to recone if you are really set on not "underpowering" them :facepalm: .

OTOH if you want to not spend a lot of money on recones 500-750w per driver is about right :) .

• Members

Omegas would be an ok choice, they are rather forgiving but I would run no more than about 500 watts per driver and 400 watts per driver is pretty much ideal with the clip limiters turned on. That gives you the protection from mechanical damage in that kind of cabinet. The big damage in those cabinets is from mechanical overexcursion which would begin to happen at about 500 watts regardless of what the driver's average thermal rating is.

With subs, the whole issue of "underpowering" is hogwash. Urban muth.

I have a dozen or so new Omega 18's available in 8 ohm BTW.

• Members

Thats good to know!I guess my assumption was correct about the sales pitch.Anyway what im getting here I think is the way to go with these would be install the Omega Pro and run them parallel with the CTS2000 at 1000 watts per side?Am I correct or way off?If this will work what kind of price are we looking at for your Omega Pro Subs? I was buying from Crisp Deals but when they added free shipping they went up $35 to $50 per driver.They used to be the best deal around,some things there still OK.Lenrom also has some good prices.You can PM me Agedhorse if you like?

• Members
Anyway what im getting here I think is the way to go with these would be install the Omega Pro and run them parallel with the CTS2000 at 1000 watts per side?

Assuming you meant you would run two cabs per channel, each loaded with an 8 ohm Omega Pro - that would be good. Make sure you have a HPF on the subs - the 40hz one on a DBX223 crossover would probably be good but perhaps someone here more experienced with scoops can give you better advice?

• Members

Yes that assumption is correct,2 per channel.I dont have the dbx 266 but I do have the 166XL.I also have a DBX Drive Rack PA+ I have never used yet.I have read the manual and watched a few videos on it and im still a little confused? It shows how to run bi amp to a full range cabinet with 2 amps but not how to set up 2 full range tops with 2 subwoofers?I would think that you could just run the full range from the PA+ highs out and the lows from the lows out like any other crossover?Its early yet and I havent dug real deep so maybe I just missed it?Sure be a waste to use 2 amps on full range cabs when they already have a crossover in them.I know that a lot of you guys probably run Tri Amp but you guys have the experience for this.I can set that up and get ok sound safely but I dont have the knowledge yet to make it sound pro in any given situation.Im still in the learn what everything does,what it means,and different variations of hookups on my mixer phase!I have a long way to go.When you guys start getting a little to technical it starts turning Chinese to me! I have to go research sometimes to figure out what im being told.Im learning more and more each day so thats not always a bad thing!Anyway thanks again and have a good one.

• Members

I also have a DBX Drive Rack PA+ I have never used yet.I have read the manual and watched a few videos on it and im still a little confused? It shows how to run bi amp to a full range cabinet with 2 amps but not how to set up 2 full range tops with 2 subwoofers?

It's easier than you think. Get it out of the box & plug it in. Once you get used to using it... you'll get it. You can't mess anything up or permanently erase anything on there.

• Members

Road ranger recommended trying a DBX223xl, which is a crossover. A 266 or a 166 is a compressor. Bizarrely, the 166 is the better model (so i'm told, i have only used the 266).

The driverack PA+ is a loudspeaker management tool, and one of its core roles is a crossover. I was new to these things a couple of months ago.

Good device. Like it. Its easy to use, especially if it is preloaded with the specs for your amps and speakers (unsure whether it has that specific crown amp but i dont remember seeing it). If it does have your amp, the wizard will load all the settings you need.

If it doesnt have your amp, you need to experiment a bit more to make sure the limiters are set right.

Either way it does a decent job of a number of tasks. Things to watch out for are that, if you leave it to set the graphic eq for itself, it will set it very top heavy and piercing (in my opinion).

What are your top boxes and amp?

Archived