Jump to content

Amp question


Recommended Posts

  • Members
3 hours ago, Red Ant said:

Considering the XTC is imho the finest and most versatile multi-channel amp available, that is a tall order. 

Well, yes.  That's why I have stuck with the XTC for almost 15 years now.  There's nothing else out there that covers more ground, IMO.

3 hours ago, Red Ant said:

That being said, I think the Kemper is your best bet, as you can virtually "clone" your XTC and JCM800 and then add whatever else you may want/need.

That's the idea. I played one for about 30 minutes today, and while it sounded very good, it wasn't inspiring.  I think that I need to borrow one and do my own profiling to see what it can really do.  The stock profiles aren't good enough, but they show that it might be able to get there. We'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well then I’ll develop an app that lets you hail a cab from anywhere!

Makes sense, since what you do requires a very wide palette. I use a single channel amp and a minimalist pedal board - a wah, an overdrive/ boost, an "analog style" digital delay and a univibe clone.

They ought to come with a gift certificate for chiropractic care

  • Members
36 minutes ago, stratosaurus said:

I've noticed, through all the post, that no one uses the same amps......and everyone has a different suggestion.:idk: :D

Everybody knows that Canadian Marshall clones from the early 70s are the best. Nobody's willing to say it though, so we get all these other recommendations.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, SteinbergerHack said:

Well, yes.  That's why I have stuck with the XTC for almost 15 years now.  There's nothing else out there that covers more ground, IMO.

That's the idea. I played one for about 30 minutes today, and while it sounded very good, it wasn't inspiring.  I think that I need to borrow one and do my own profiling to see what it can really do.  The stock profiles aren't good enough, but they show that it might be able to get there. We'll see.

There is also a huge and growing base of user profiles available. I know several guys who are obsessive amp and cabinet profilers, and have gone to great lengths and expense to do the amps justice - high end mics, boutique/vintage preamps, etc...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, arcadesonfire said:

Everybody knows that Canadian Marshall clones from the early 70s are the best. Nobody's willing to say it though, so we get all these other recommendations.

They ought to come with a gift certificate for chiropractic care :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
20 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

There is also a huge and growing base of user profiles available. I know several guys who are obsessive amp and cabinet profilers, and have gone to great lengths and expense to do the amps justice - high end mics, boutique/vintage preamps, etc...

Very interesting. If I were an entrepreneur, I’d set up an app and a subscription service to monetize the work done by those folks. Get a new surprise profile every week or something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, arcadesonfire said:

Very interesting. If I were an entrepreneur, I’d set up an app and a subscription service to monetize the work done by those folks. Get a new surprise profile every week or something. 

Pretty sure there are multiple instances of that sort of thing happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...