Ken Burns "Country Music" on PBS

fretmess

• Members
On 9/17/2019 at 4:34 AM, flemtone said:

I wasn't aware of it but, thanks to you, now I am.  Set to record for future binge-a-thon.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've recently binged on The Walking Dead. After five seasons I had to take a rest. It was making me depressed and agitated.

Edit:

It didn't post, now it did. WHY CAN'T WE DELETE POSTS?

• Members
On 9/17/2019 at 4:34 AM, flemtone said:

I wasn't aware of it but, thanks to you, now I am.  Set to record for future binge-a-thon.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've been bingeing on The Walking Dead. After five seasons I had to take a rest. It was making me depressed and agitated.

Now I want a samurai sword, just in case.

• Members
On 9/17/2019 at 7:59 AM, fretmess said:

Dr. Bill Malone was a major contributor to the series.

https://madison.com/wsj/entertainment/music/ken-burns-country-music-will-be-a-thrill-for-local/article_886175b7-ad76-5c5c-a227-17b501dc1c89.html

Wife and I were in his class at Southwest Texas State College (SWTSC) in mid '60s while he was working on his doctorate at the University Of Texas.  A gifted historian, musician, and story teller.

His weekly radio program is pretty much the only country music I listen to. Nice guy to boot.

18 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

Also my idea of hell :smiley-lol:

Hey, while Bakersfield is hardly my idea of paradise on earth, it always could be worse. Ever been to Oildale? Oildale is hell on earth. IMO.. and right next door to Bakersfield. So while Bakersfield isn't hell, it's in the same neighborhood. ;) 

6 minutes ago, fretmess said:

Phil and the rest of you guys will thank me for clueing you in on what's happening on PBS.  I think tonight's episode will focus on Rock-a-Billy :rawk: and Bakersfield.  you all can thank me later.  :D

I wouldn't want to live there, but I definitely appreciate some of the music that came out of there. Thanks for the heads-up! :cool2: 

• Moderators
Just now, Phil O'Keefe said:

Hey, while Bakersfield is hardly my idea of paradise on earth, it always could be worse. Ever been to Oildale? Oildale is hell on earth. IMO.. and right next door to Bakersfield. So while Bakersfield isn't hell, it's in the same neighborhood. ;) 

Hell-adjacent :lol:

not a big fan of Fontucky either :D

• Members
8 hours ago, moogerfooger said:

I’m a huge hank Williams fan. I have all his recordings.  I Was even going to do a hank Williams tribute show at one time. I play 5 or 6 of his tunes at every solo show.  His songs are the real deal. 

I share the same birth date as Hank, unfortunately that's where any comparison as a songwriter ends.:classic_sad:

• Members
On 9/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Telecruiser said:

...I love that West coast twang. Nothing like a Telecaster on the back pickup through a Twin Reverb cranked up. :)

How about a Les Paul through a 100 watt Marshall stack?

2 hours ago, Hoot Owl said:

I'm recording it. I record everything but live sports and Stephanie Rhule😜.

That sounds like a LOT of recording.  How many VCR's do you have?

2 hours ago, Hoot Owl said:

Or thought you understood but actually didn't.

What I always remember learning is how native American music influenced early blues music. When you compare recordings it's obvious.

I would like to hear recordings of Native American music that influenced early blues.  Do you have any links?

• Members
8 hours ago, Hoot Owl said:

I'd suggest that is a product of age. The older I get the less my ears can take wicked guitar sounds.

What are you, 82? Most people here are almost dead.😉

A tad younger than 82. 

I do own a Jazzmaster though w/ 65 style pick-ups  - if that’s a clue.

They are a thing again from what I understand.

• Members
On 9/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, New Trail said:

That sounds like a LOT of recording.  How many VCR's do you have?

I would like to hear recordings of Native American music that influenced early blues.  Do you have any links?

Ouch. That's like a personal attack nowadays. I'm all Blu Ray, baby.

Relax, I'm not really considering it a personal attack. It's just that things are so touchy around here these days. Soon we'll be eating each other over alleged personal attacks and imagined ad homs.

On native/blues, watch Ken Burns' The Blues, or whatever it was called.

Archived