Ken Burns "Country Music" on PBS

fretmess

• Members

Dr. Bill Malone was a major contributor to the series.

https://madison.com/wsj/entertainment/music/ken-burns-country-music-will-be-a-thrill-for-local/article_886175b7-ad76-5c5c-a227-17b501dc1c89.html

Wife and I were in his class at Southwest Texas State College (SWTSC) in mid '60s while he was working on his doctorate at the University Of Texas.  A gifted historian, musician, and story teller.

• Members
46 minutes ago, Telecruiser said:

Yep, we have been waiting for it. We have seen the first two episodes and will watch the third tonight. Like all Ken Burns work it is of the highest quality.

Most interesting insight into early radio and recording industries.  You don't have to be a country music fan to enjoy a Burns documentary. 

• Members

Thanks for the word! I will try to find the prior episodes online and then tape the upcoming episodes...

One of my favorite things about my company’s history of rock music book is that it delves heavily into “country” music’s contribution. Traditionally, I had always seen rock described in terms of blues and gospel influences, but it really was a nexus of two different cultures (blues and country) that brought us rock. I’m sure this is obvious to all y’all, but I can attest that TV histories I saw in the 90s were skewed and didn’t pay much attention to the development and contribution of “country” music. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, arcadesonfire said:

Thanks for the word! I will try to find the prior episodes online and then tape the upcoming episodes...

One of my favorite things about my company’s history of rock music book is that it selves heavily into “country” music’s contribution. Traditionally, I had always seen rock described in terms of blues and gospel influences, but it really was a nexus of two different cultures (blues and country) that brought us rock. I’m sure this is obvious to all y’all, but I can attest that TV histories I saw in the 90s were skewed and didn’t pay much attention to the development and contribution of “country” music. 

Country is a blend of various styles of music from string bands, mountain music, blues, jazz (Bob Wills) etc. To this day we still see styles being blended into it though I'm not in agreement with some of it. I have always played country music, bluegrass etc.. It's just in my blood. Episode 5 is the Bakersfield sound which I really want to see. I love that West coast twang. Nothing like a Telecaster on the back pickup through a Twin Reverb cranked up. :)

• Members
2 minutes ago, Telecruiser said:

Country is a blend of various styles of music from string bands, mountain music, blues, jazz (Bob Wills) etc. To this day we still see styles being blended into it though I'm not in agreement with some of it. I have always played country music, bluegrass etc.. It's just in my blood. Episode 5 is the Bakersfield sound which I really want to see. I love that West coast twang. Nothing like a Telecaster on the back pickup through a Twin Reverb cranked up. :)

Interesting. I need to learn more about it. I put "country" in quotes because I'm guessing there are various definitions, and it's a diverse range of styles/sounds.....

Speaking of which, do I understand correctly that all kinds of slides (lap steel, pedal steel, plain old glass slide on a regular guitar) were inspired by Hawaii?? Or did mainland music export that to Hawaii?? ...... It'll be fun to watch and learn. TV can trump books when it comes to music lessons!

• Members
9 hours ago, arcadesonfire said:

Interesting. I need to learn more about it. I put "country" in quotes because I'm guessing there are various definitions, and it's a diverse range of styles/sounds.....

Speaking of which, do I understand correctly that all kinds of slides (lap steel, pedal steel, plain old glass slide on a regular guitar) were inspired by Hawaii?? Or did mainland music export that to Hawaii?? ...... It'll be fun to watch and learn. TV can trump books when it comes to music lessons!

It was invented in Hawaii by Joseph Kekuku

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kekuku

The ukulele, on the other hand, made it’s way to Hawaii via Portugal. 

• Members
3 hours ago, sirfun said:

Hank's birthday was a GREAT day for that episode to air !! )

I’m a huge hank Williams fan. I have all his recordings.  I Was even going to do a hank Williams tribute show at one time. I play 5 or 6 of his tunes at every solo show.  His songs are the real deal. 

• Members
22 hours ago, Telecruiser said:

I love the Bakersfield songs & records. But listening to a Telecaster bridge pickup today is like driving an ice-pick into my brain.

• Members
3 hours ago, Etienne Rambert said:

I love the Bakersfield songs & records. But listening to a Telecaster bridge pickup today is like driving an ice-pick into my brain.

I'd suggest that is a product of age. The older I get the less my ears can take wicked guitar sounds.

What are you, 82? Most people here are almost dead.😉

• Members
16 hours ago, Vito Corleone said:

Burns’ work is great for learning about things you previously thought you had little interest in. 

Or thought you understood but actually didn't.

What I always remember learning is how native American music influenced early blues music. When you compare recordings it's obvious.

Archived