Power amp for 2 Yamaha s12e speakers

• Members

We picked up a couple of these pretty cheaply to use as monitors. They're discontinued now, but sound pretty nice. We have an old mono powered brick but it's only 150w. Is there any chance of using it to power both for just vocals and maybe a little bit of sax or something without clipping the speakers or do we have to get a new power amp? If so, what would be the wattage we'd have to get?

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=2021

• Members

I hope they were cheap.

Sure 150 watts will work up to the point that it starts distorting /clipping. At that point, turn it down. If it's not enough you should look at better monitors AND a new power amp.

What's the problem with them? They sound fine for monitors. What does clipping sound like specifically?

• Members

I've powered fairly inefficient monitors at 75w each and they were plenty loud for a classic rock band that is playing with 1x12 guitar amps and has a good drummer. At 50w the amp's clip limiters were flashing but still quite usable. In either case no problem running SM58's at max GBF.

YMMV :)

• Members

What's the problem with them? They sound fine for monitors. What does clipping sound like specifically?

IMO, if I am not mixing them up with something else, they sound horrible. They are a rehash of the BR series and have all kinds of peaks and harsh high end and no real low end and a midrangy honk that makes them a low quality monitor option IMO.

Clipping sounds like harsh distortion, raspy and nasty. It also can damage speakers.

Archived