KV2 AUDIO

• Members

I've got a pair of 2.2EX's and LOVE THEM. I can only imagine the 2.5's would sound just as good if not better. I went with the 2.2's simply for weight reasons as the are significantly lighter than the 2.5's.

Get the wheel carts too.

• Members

I work for a dealer, but then we're dealers for a lot of other speaker companies too.

But anyway, we've got six of the EX2.2 them as rental units, and love them. Customers love them too, which is why we have so many. We don't use them in multiples for big shows, we've got other (Meyer) subs for that. So these are always going out in pairs for smaller shows, and they do a great job.

• Members

I'm convinced that the Kv2 detractors must have been doing something wrong within the context of their personal experience with the Kv2 subs... ePak system not configured/hooked up properly or something. My experience with renting the EX2.2s is that they are killer subs... although maybe a little pricey to purchase. We also own one of the KX line and it's been great for a single 15" bandpass box.

Scodiddly - What dealer? Can you PM me as I'd like to buy a mate for my KX1.5.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for your input guys, decided to go for the EX2.5mk2 in the end but have found out one is not going to be enough for my events so going to need another.

KV2 make a passive version of the EX2.5 called the ES2.6 which connects to the internal amp of the EX2.5, Has anyone used or heard the ES2.6 or used both together?

• Members

Wow, these subs must sound really good- at 143 pounds that's some serious schleppage. Is the main attraction to these subs the sound quality? If you're willing to move that heavy of a sub, why not get an 18" sub? At $2,500 each (?), and at that weight, I imagine there's some good competition in the upper grade end.

• Members

i dont really know what to think about kv2 stuff..sometimes i get bored and type in brand names on youtube just to see tech videos, or interviews with designers, and lately every time i type in anything remotely high end..meyer, quested, etc, theres testamonial videos about kv2 just inundating the results. Thats put me off them a bit, but i'm still curious to hear them.

An active subwoofer sollution thats potent and priced mid market isnt a bad idea, and by specs alone looks pretty good to me, though i do wonder what happens to that 1600 rms watts when the s2.6 slave sub is added?

• Members

I guarantee that the 1600 watts RMS is heavily limited for most practical signals too.

"heavily" limited? I'm just curious as to why that would be so. Spec sheet says 134dB Max SPL-"long term", and 137 peak. Those specs look a lot like some of the Danley specs I've looked at, with similar power ratings. What are these KV2 2,5's selling for? I thought they were roughly in the same price-range and level of quality as the Danleys.

• Members

"heavily" limited? I'm just curious as to why that would be so. Spec sheet says 134dB Max SPL-"long term", and 137 peak. Those specs look a lot like some of the Danley specs I've looked at, with similar power ratings. What are these KV2 2,5's selling for? I thought they were roughly in the same price-range and level of quality as the Danleys.

Why? To insure reasonably reliability, the limiting and HPF algorithems will track and adjust accordingly. This is generally true of all higher quality products.

• Members

If you go with RMS rated and an on-board limiter, that plus an appropriate HPF makes for a pretty robust setup. You will be able to run the amp into limiting ok without risking mechanical damage that more power would result in but the average SPL levels will be pretty similar with less risk. Additional complexity results when increasing the amp power trying to wring every last dB from a system and sometimes it's worth it but usually not.

• Members

I had a chance to talk to the KV2 dude a couple years ago. Interesting guy, used to work for FBT and knew all sorts of crazy things about how to build molds for plastic speakers. He also went on at length about line drivers for getting the signal from FOH back to the stage where the speakers were located, raised some interesting issues.

Anyway, the KV2 subs don't use the usual sorts of limiting. Well, maybe they do, but to "keep the dynamics", the subs will drop their overall level if the signal gets too hot and keep it there for a long time, something like 30 seconds, until the signal drops in level for a significant amount of time. That way the subs are still punchy instead of obviously straining against the limiter. In other words, you don't get any louder, but the subs don't sound like crap slamming their limiter either.

• Members

There are many different approaches, but one thing they all have in common is looking at the mechanical excursion (based upon electrical input). Some use sliding HPF filters, some will limit differently in the bottom 1/2-octave (to prevet unloading damage) etc. Lot's of different stuff possible with DSP and/or multiple bandwidth VCA's.

I am working on a limiter based on dual band algorithem, primarily to preserve mid response and dynamics upon heavy LF limiting. It's a kind of unique application that uses a novel filter reconstruction application. So far it sounds pretty good for the application. Much better than the earlier version I designed.

Archived