Best guitar for funk under $1500.00

Jwithers32

• Moderators

I'll agree with a Strat-style for funk, but it doesn't have to be American made, or even a Fender......the 'funk' isn't in the body/neck, it is in the p-ups, pots and the player.

If it was me, I would try upgrading the p-ups in your Pacifica first, which is actually a very nice Strat knock-off...it just needs better electronics.

• Members

if you exactly know what you need and want e.g. which kind of neck, what profile what dimension suits your hand etc you can go on to warmoth.com and for 1500 you can order the parts of your dream strat and the parts you like there and you assemble your dream from there

if you go to fender you pay a lot for the brand and in the 1500 range you just get their of the shelve instruments. which are nice and all, but there are cheaper alternative like your pacifica or a charvel etc.. if you go custom shop at fender you may need to double your budget, which is it IMHO not worth

• Members

I really appreciate the replies by you all and for clarification, the Pacifica I currently have is the 612 with great components and it plays great and I can get pretty decent funk sounds (I agree, the player has a lot to do with that style sound, incidentally, and a lot of players I hear don't "hear" that they are missing the groove of that sound).
With that all said, I would love to mod out this guitar but haven't gone that route before.  I am reading and watching luthiers and just don't want to screw up a guitar because of lack of previous experience.  Hence, my questions about the PRS's and my references to Fenders, both of which I deem great guitars in interesting and unique ways..  Again, thanks for the advice and I am glad I stumbled onto this site - you guys are great!

Guitar112now.jpg

Guitar112now.thumb.jpg.9519ea50e646b11e40399112fb4cd701.jpg

Archived