Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AJ6stringsting

What was you first electric / acoustic guitar or bass ?

Recommended Posts

Haven’t see Heath in years. Must have been great building your own amp 

Especially with some help to assure success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gardo said:

Haven’t see Heath in years. Must have been great building your own amp 

Especially with some help to assure success

It certainly was. Reading the circuit description about how the tone controls worked was what inspired me to go to electronics school.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was around 15 or 16. Freshman in highschool. My dad's friend's daughter had this 100 dollar Johnson Strat that she wasn't using and was giving away. I remember him telling me about it and next thing I know, it's in my room. That thing became my reason to get up because I couldn't wait to learn the next song on YouTube guitar lessons and cover the songs. Only a few years after that I  started taking songwriting really serious. I'm not sure that I would be here if I never got started with that guitar. I still have it today and it definitely has a story.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, Nionwa Jahi said:

I was around 15 or 16. Freshman in highschool. My dad's friend's daughter had this 100 dollar Johnson Strat that she wasn't using and was giving away. I remember him telling me about it and next thing I know, it's in my room. That thing became my reason to get up because I couldn't wait to learn the next song on YouTube guitar lessons and cover the songs. Only a few years after that I  started taking songwriting really serious. I'm not sure that I would be here if I never got started with that guitar. I still have it today and it definitely has a story.

Wow !!!!

I wish that still had my first guitar .... I'm sure 99.99% of bassists and guitarists still wish they still had their first one !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so fancy for me...the first guitar I bought was a Yamaha FG-401 acoustic back in 1997 for a humble $299 Aussie dollars

1097487335_TheFirstLady.thumb.jpg.f30500ab6980e34c81ea4a5b2ae82f7e.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Drifter acoustic that my brother gave me when I was 12. He is 3 1/2 years younger than me so when our jackass step dad gave it to him two years before, he was too small to even try to play it. He never even had an interest in playing, never. It was I who wanted to learn and the jack hole never took the time to teach me. That's ok, because a couple months after my bro gave it to me my step dad started beating me for some stupid reason and something inside me snapped. I grabbed the closest thing to me I could hit him with and it was that Drifter guitar. The next thing I remember was my neighbors dad shaking me and saying, " hey Danny, it's ok he's had enough, c'mon Danny he's had enough. "

 

My stepdad was curled up in a corner, all that was left of the guitar was the neck and the bridge still attached to the strings. I had cuts on me and he had them on him from when I swung the neck, the bridge would cut me as it flew thru the air then cut him as I pulled the neck back fo another swing.

He threatened to send me to a boys home but thats when Bill Townsend the next door neighbor threatened him with bringing his three older boys over and the four of them taking turns whipping him with a belt like they'd been hearing him beat me and my little brother for the 6 we had lived there. We lived way out in the boontillies about 30 miles South of Little Rock Arkansass, in a little single wide three bedroom trailer of course they could hear him beating us.

Well that was the last day he laid a finger on either one of us. A year later my mom finally left the bastard. I look back fondly on that cheap Drifter acoustic as the day I finally stood up to that Satan worshipping bastard. My second guitar was a Carlos acoustic that I continued learning to play on. I had already been playing on it lil bro gave it to me.

How's that for a first guitar story?¿??

Edited by hassalfocker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad is the only one in the family that doesn’t play an instrument...  and he came along about the time of the “incident” when they lived in Roswell, NM...   my maternal grandfather played lap steel in a party band during prohibition so it was kind of natural that my first guitar was an old harmony hawaiian lap steel...  grandpa played a gibson skylark...   koa wood, Flying V model... he taught me on that guitar for the first few months...   I believe it was a 59... cream colored case,  red velvet lined... I can still smell it...    right now...   

anyhow, the pup from the harmony was culled and installed on an acoustic 6 string cheapo harmony that I bought when I was 10 years old... paper route money.  At 13 I was making more money with my guitar than from my side hustles with the paper route, mowing lawns and selling eggs from my chickens and thus my descent into the dark abyss began...   and continues...  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 6:00 AM, Voltan said:

My dad is the only one in the family that doesn’t play an instrument...  and he came along about the time of the “incident” when they lived in Roswell, NM...   my maternal grandfather played lap steel in a party band during prohibition so it was kind of natural that my first guitar was an old harmony hawaiian lap steel...  grandpa played a gibson skylark...   koa wood, Flying V model... he taught me on that guitar for the first few months...   I believe it was a 59... cream colored case,  red velvet lined... I can still smell it...    right now...   

anyhow, the pup from the harmony was culled and installed on an acoustic 6 string cheapo harmony that I bought when I was 10 years old... paper route money.  At 13 I was making more money with my guitar than from my side hustles with the paper route, mowing lawns and selling eggs from my chickens and thus my descent into the dark abyss began...   and continues...  

Roswell,  N.M.

I got family in Chavez County too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first acoustic was some no-name model that I purchased from a local music shop when I was 9 years old.  This was in 1981 and it looked like it'd been there a while so I'd guess it was made in the 1970's sometime.  After about a year of guitar lessons my family felt confident that I was going to stick with it so they got me an electric guitar and amp combo from the Sears catalog.  Red SG copy with black pickguard, large old-school butterknife style trem on there and everything.  Small three watt amp with three knobs.  Kids today will never know the struggle of trying to learn Randy Rhoads riffs on a setup like that haha, but I wouldn't change a thing about it.  I wish I still had pics of that old gear.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think cutaway is a big deal even for beginners starting out guitar Me myself started out with a dreadnought and after playin sometime i do realise the need of the upper note frets tho Sometimes you just NEED those upper 15 frets Anyway good video as always marty!

Dafont Showbox Adam4adam

Edited by arsomartinera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My very first guitar was a 1964 Harmony Rocket. It was cherry red with white trim, and was semi acoustic. I wish I had a picture of it. I got it in 1975, and for Christmas 1977, my dad traded it in for a 1977 Electra MPC guitar... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'74 Hagstrom Swede... it chose me!  I was 20, at college, broke, & living in ramshackle house at the edge of town.  Dreamt of a guitar on which to practice and learn-  but it wasn't happening. A farmer down the road stopped one October day with it propped in the passenger seat of his truck.  "Got it for back-rent at the tenent house- goin' into town to sell unless one of you boys is interested?"   $80.00 changed hands. I lived on Raman noodles for a couple months, but the beautiful Hagstrom was mine!  Had no case- made the first one myself out of scrap plywood lined with carpet remnants.  It remained my one & only guitar for many, many years, and is still played and loved by me to this day.  Blessed to have so fine a first guitar delivered to my unworthy hands!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first guitar was an Airline (Kay) Vanguard II 1967.  My dad paid $15 for it and $15 for an amp.spacer.png

I was able to find another one recently (great to have for nostalgic reasons)spacer.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bart2brett said:

My first guitar was an Airline (Kay) Vanguard II 1967.  My dad paid $15 for it and $15 for an amp.spacer.png

I was able to find another one recently (great to have for nostalgic reasons)spacer.png

How did the recent find compare to your. Memories 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...